PDA

View Full Version : Front Sight Adjustment

smokemjoe
12-14-2012, 03:30 PM
I got a new Kimber Crimson carry 11, 45 acp, fix sights,It shot 6-8in. low with cast bullets, at 50 feet indoor of the bench. I shot alot of different loads hoping to find one that bring it up but never did, also a trigger job. I asked on here and someone said to file of .015 of front sight. I took off .009 and didnt think that would do anything, will at 50 feet now its on at point of aim. unreal what .009 did, going to take off .003 more and that may make it shoot 2 in. above pt. of aim, I appreciate the help, Thanks- Joe

Whiterabbit
12-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Incredible, the law of triangles. I calculated on a rifle for 20" rear sight to front sight I needed .005 inches of adjustment for every inch I wanted to move the bullet on target at 100 yards.

scattershot
12-14-2012, 07:28 PM
I'd recommend taking off .001 at a time. It goes quick, and you can't put it back on there once it's off.

km101
12-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Yup, go .001 at a time and you will be glad you did. Kimber, or a local GS will charge a lot to replace the front sight if you take off too much. :) Many a novice 'smith has wished he had checked before he took those last few strokes. Go slow and check frequently.

MtGun44
12-16-2012, 03:08 AM
Similar triangles calculation is pretty simple if you draw out a little diagram.

Bill

rockshooter
12-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Before you go whacking any more off the sight, I suggest you see where it hits when standing, just offhand. Bench groups point of aim/point of impact can be way different, depending on how you do it.
Loren

bigboredad
12-17-2012, 12:41 PM
I agree with rockshooter where you hit from the bench could be vastly different when you are standing or it could be the same. Better to find out than guess is my opinion and it worth exactly what you paid for it:smile:

MGySgt
12-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Doesn't the Kimber have a dove tail for the front sight? If so I would call Kimber and tell them the ammo you want to use and they should be able to provide you with a front sight that will be at the right height.

Side note - when I need to file a front sight I do it at the range. Fire a group, take a pass or 2, file a little bit, shoot a group - continue until I get it where I want it. I also check offhand at the same time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

williamwaco
12-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Side note - when I need to file a front sight I do it at the range. Fire a group, take a pass or 2, file a little bit, shoot a group - continue until I get it where I want it. I also check offhand at the same time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

You got lots of good advice here but this is the best advice included.

bigboredad
12-20-2012, 11:31 AM
One more " if it were me" and you do need to change out the front sight I would go with a fiber optic they work so much better for me it's amazing

rhbrink
12-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Here is a way to figure the amount needed for correction. Measure the distance between the sights mutiply that times the amount of correction needed. Then divide that amount by the distance to the target. This will have to be all measured in the same units of measure inches works for me.

But the very best advise is to file a little shoot both on a bench and off hand and kept at it until you have the desired correction made.

RB