PDA

View Full Version : Removing carbide inset from Lee FCD?

Crowkiller
06-27-2007, 07:15 AM
I have a Lee factory crimp die for the .357 magnum. I love the crimp, but do not like the way the carbide insert resizes the case and the cast boolit. The carbide insert looks like it was pressed in the die.

I use the Lee Classic turret press, and really like having a seating station and a crinp station.

Has anyone tried to remove the carbide insert?

Would it be easier to buy another seating/crimping die?

Would a taper crimp work?

dmftoy1
06-27-2007, 07:46 AM
If it was me I'd probably just buy a standard roll crimp die. (for .357 Magnum) I'd imagine a machinist could take that sizing ring out or at least expand it enough to be a non-issue but I think you'd pay more for that work then buying another die. :)

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

No_1
06-27-2007, 07:53 AM
I do not think a machinist would be able to machine the ID of the carbide insert. It could be ground out but you do not want to pay for that process.

I do think that you can cut the die off just above where the carbide insert is and be good to go.

Robert

If it was me I'd probably just buy a standard roll crimp die. (for .357 Magnum) I'd imagine a machinist could take that sizing ring out or at least expand it enough to be a non-issue but I think you'd pay more for that work then buying another die. :)

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

Dragoon
06-27-2007, 08:52 AM
I had the same issue. I figured out what I wanted the inside diameter of the carbide ring to be and sent it back to Lee. They didn't charge anything to grind it out. They had a very fast turnaround on it.

Crowkiller
06-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks Dragoon! That is what I will do!

Slowpoke
06-27-2007, 10:25 PM
I have a Lee factory crimp die for the .357 magnum. I love the crimp, but do not like the way the carbide insert resizes the case and the cast boolit. The carbide insert looks like it was pressed in the die.

I use the Lee Classic turret press, and really like having a seating station and a crinp station.

Has anyone tried to remove the carbide insert?

Would it be easier to buy another seating/crimping die?

Would a taper crimp work?

I can't tell you how to remove it one piece, but if all you want is it gone, just take a hammer and and center punch to it, it is very brittle just a sharp lick or two and it will break and fall out.

good luck

Dragoon
06-28-2007, 11:14 AM
I can't tell you how to remove it one piece, but if all you want is it gone, just take a hammer and and center punch to it, it is very brittle just a sharp lick or two and it will break and fall out.

good luck

It's been my experience that carbide breaks easy only when you don't want it to.

Drilling a hole with carbide drill? Snap! Trying to bust said drill out?:Fire: