PDA

View Full Version : The Big Brown Truck came by...

dow
06-27-2007, 12:47 AM
...and delivered my Midway shipment today, so I went out to the shop and ran about 150 or so through my new Lee 358-125-RF this evening. They're getting better, but still have a little to go. About the time I ran out of steam, the mold started throwing good boolits, and from the looks of them, I think that they'll probably feed really well in the CZ. I think that I'm running straight wheel weights. At least that what I remember smelting when I poured up these ingots about ten years back. Anyway, the boolits are measuring .359 diameter, and weigh right at 132 grains. For those of you who have used this mold, do these measurements sound right?

I got a .357 sizer and a #430 top punch as well for my new (to me) 450 lubersizer, but I'm still waiting on lube. I'm not in any hurry, since I won't be sizing any until they're casting better.

NVcurmudgeon
06-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Yep, just like Christmas morning when Santa's brown sled lands on a big kid's roof! Good luck with your new toys.

dow
06-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks!

Boomer Mikey
06-27-2007, 12:24 PM
...and delivered my Midway shipment today, so I went out to the shop and ran about 150 or so through my new Lee 358-125-RF this evening. They're getting better, but still have a little to go. About the time I ran out of steam, the mold started throwing good boolits, and from the looks of them, I think that they'll probably feed really well in the CZ. I think that I'm running straight wheel weights. At least that what I remember smelting when I poured up these ingots about ten years back. Anyway, the boolits are measuring .359 diameter, and weigh right at 132 grains. For those of you who have used this mold, do these measurements sound right?

I got a .357 sizer and a #430 top punch as well for my new (to me) 450 lubersizer, but I'm still waiting on lube. I'm not in any hurry, since I won't be sizing any until they're casting better.

I would try loading one of those in a case to see if they will chamber when they are 0.359". If they do, size and lube them with a 359 or 360 sizer. If you are using LLA just lube them and shoot them. If they almost chamber use a taper crimp die and adjust to chamber reliabily.

Boomer :Fire:

dow
06-27-2007, 12:41 PM
I would try loading one of those in a case to see if they will chamber when they are 0.359". If they do, size and lube them with a 359 or 360 sizer. If you are using LLA just lube them and shoot them. If they almost chamber use a taper crimp die and adjust to chamber reliabily.

Thanks, Boomer. I've already slugged my barrel, and it's at about .3565. That's why I thought that a .357 would be the way to go on sizing. Also, it's the only sizer that I've got :mrgreen: DidI misunderstand something about sizing?

Thanks,
dow

Boomer Mikey
06-27-2007, 04:10 PM
The only sizer that matters is your barrel. If the bullet is sitting at the bottom of the chamber when it's fired it will strike the bottom grooves first. If the bullet fills the chamber it has a better chance of starting centered. Measuring the inside diameter of cases fired with full power loads will tell you the largest cast bullet size to use plus 0.0005" - 0.001" (for springback of the brass).

dow
06-30-2007, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the info Mikey. I'm learning more and more. I wonder if my head'll explode?:-D