PDA

View Full Version : FNH Five-Seven and flying

historicfirearms
12-13-2012, 09:03 PM
I fly a small airplane for a gas company doing pipeline patrols throughout Michigan. Today I stopped for fuel at a small airport and got to talking to the airport manager about guns. He pulls out a FNH five-seven and lets me look it over, then he asks if I want to shoot it. Well, you don't have to ask me twice! That is one nice shooting pistol. I don't know if it was just the conditions we were shooting in, but I could hear the bullets slicing through the air, pretty neat. The pistol is lightweight, even with a full magazine. Recoil felt about like a 32 acp. Someone talk me out of getting one of these little buggers. Only drawback I see is lack of reloading data, but it is out there. I just might have to start saving my pennies for a new gun. By the way, I think most people would be surprised at the number of pilots that are also gun people, better that 75% I would guess.

dragon813gt
12-13-2012, 09:16 PM
There is plenty of info on the fiveseven forum. I think about buying one all the time. But the cost is to great. If I had the rifle and pistol I'd be good to go. I know it doesn't matter for the pistol. But the coating on the brass is just another thing to worry about when it comes to reloading. Maybe one day but the cost is still to steep for me to buy one. And unfortunately I don't see them coming down in price.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

ebner glocken
12-13-2012, 10:53 PM
The coating is a minor issue to worry about. The casings are easily cleaned with a solution of simple green. The main thing to worry about is that it is a blowback that operates at 50K and if not sized down enough the pistol will fire out of battery, not a good thing in a plastic gun. It's a small case to boot so it's not forgiving to minor charge errors. Data is out there but not much of it. Not a cartrige for the novice reloader at all. It's a pistol that will shoot extreamly well if you can steady a very light pistol (a flashlight on the rail helps much for a barrel weight).

That being said it's still one of my favroite pistols. It's light, holds 20 rounds, very accurate, low recoil, and quite amazing on what it will do to meat for the energy figures. A 40 grain vmax is quite nasty even at 1700 FPS, even better when launched from something that can be carried on your belt. Milk juggs at 100 yards are not really a problem with ss197 ammo. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the highest quality plastic pistols on the market today. It is unfortunate it's in the four figure price point. Ammo isn't atrocious if you buy it in quanity. Stay away from any ammo with a suffix of "LF" as lead free primers have a much shorter shelf life. It's not a handgun I would grab first for hunting but a really mean ccw piece.

Ebner