PDA

View Full Version : Cimarron-firearm 45 70

Randy C
12-13-2012, 07:15 PM
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/single-shot-rifles-1/single-shot-rifles-sharps/single-shot-rifles-usa-shooting-team.html
I hope this gun is a keeper I dont know alot about this company.
I got a price I wanted I have read good and bad about cimmarron mine is number 389 out of 500 made of this model.

johnson1942
12-13-2012, 08:48 PM
beautiful gun: put 70.00 more dollars in it when you get it and send the action and barrel to cryo plus and cryo the barrel. you will never regret it. it will put the creme de le creme in your barrel. they on on the internet.

Randy C
12-13-2012, 09:06 PM
beautiful gun: put 70.00 more dollars in it when you get it and send the action and barrel to cryo plus and cryo the barrel. you will never regret it. it will put the creme de le creme in your barrel. they on on the internet.
I have never heard of cryo plus will have to look into it.

johnson1942
12-13-2012, 10:18 PM
she hasnt raised her prices in 15 years and uses the same equiptment every one else does and they charge a lot more. your gun will last a lot longer and shoot better way out their. no chance of barrel micro bending when it heats up after cryoing. good luck

jp99
12-13-2012, 10:27 PM
The shooting team sharps is a rather nice rifle, I got 56 of 500. rifle is good and accurate, but the case on mine already ripped in two.

Regards,

JP99

herbert buckland
12-13-2012, 10:47 PM
The shooting team sharps is a rather nice rifle, I got 56 of 500. rifle is good and accurate, but the case on mine already ripped in two.

Regards,

JP99Do you mean the frame broke?

thegatman
12-13-2012, 11:53 PM
I got one of their 45 Colt pistols with dual cylinders for 45ACP. Very accurate in 45 ACP but uses Cowboy loads in the 45Colt. Not as strong as an older Ruger Vaquaro.

gandydancer
12-14-2012, 12:16 AM
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/single-shot-rifles-1/single-shot-rifles-sharps/single-shot-rifles-usa-shooting-team.html
I hope this gun is a keeper I dont know alot about this company.
I got a price I wanted I have read good and bad about cimmarron mine is number 389 out of 500 made of this modle.

I know nothing about cimarron made in Italy I believe. add another Grand in bucks or so. and get a Shiloh or c,sharps rifle they hold their value but that's Just me. GD

Randy C
12-14-2012, 01:16 AM
I know nothing about cimarron made in Italy I believe. add another Grand in bucks or so. and get a Shiloh or c,sharps rifle they hold their value but that's Just me. GD
I have alot of other toys to buy so I bought this with a budget in mind. It is cold here so I need to get my inside projects done this winter.

gandydancer
12-14-2012, 03:03 AM
I lived in north Dakota for a while "Harvey" back in 1955 I know it gets cold. keep us posted on how it looks and shoots. Tom/GD PS its the only time in my life in daylight hours with the sun & snow on the ground I had to wear sun glass's and it was 49 below zero. all the cats on the farm lived in with the chickens at night to stay warm. I kid you not. I guess you would know that.

I have alot of other toys to buy so I bought this with a budget in mind. It is cold here so I need to get my inside projects done this winter.

Dan Cash
12-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Congratulations on a very nice rifle. You are fortunate to live in North Dakota as there are many opportunities to shoot and compete with your new Sharps. There are buffalo matches in the Minot area, at Mobridge, SD, Carson, Sentinel butte, Amidon, Bowman and over at Ekalaka and Baker MT. There are also NRA BPCR Sinhouette matches at Mobridge and Moffitt. If you would like contact info, please PM me. You will meet some great people and have a lot of fun.
Dan

Randy C
12-14-2012, 05:56 PM
I called the company in Texas and they said it had a 1-18 twist rate, I paid $1300 and I sent an email for info on some bullet molds. This is a new adventure for me I like single shots I can shoot out past a half mile right in my front yard on my place. I hope I can hit the broad side of a barn at first with it.
Thanks for the reply’s.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Nice lookin' piece!

montana_charlie
12-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Cimarron sells Sharps rifles made by Pedersoli and by Armi Sport.

The page on that team rifle states, "In commemoration of this historic USA Shooting Team event, Chiappa and Cimarron Firearms are proud to offer the USA SHOOTING TEAM Model 1874 Creedmoor Sharps Rifle."

Chiappa owns the Armi Sport label.

Now, you know what you have ...

CM

oldracer
12-15-2012, 01:36 PM
I have number 352 in their run and it shoots better than I can shoot it. I was told by the importer that the barrels were made by Badger but it has Cimarron's stamping on it. I looked at the bore and rifling very closely with my borescope and it is as smooth as glass with absolutely no machine marks anywhere. The fore end tip, grip cap and butt plate are all ebony and them and the checkering all show it was done by hand as the fit is not perfect, but pretty close. I bought an Armi Sport Sharps a year and a half ago and it needed to have the barrel lapped to take out all the machine marks and it too is okay now.

I did disassemble all the internals and cleaned and greased everything as there was dust and other clagg inside and the trigger breaks cleanly at 2oz or so when set. I did have to slightly shim the tang sight to make it exactly vertical when the front sight shows level and since it has a round barrel it took a bit of work. They come in a really nice hard sided Italian gun case and as long as it is cared for should last as long as the rifle. I shoot 68gn Goex FFG in fire formed cases, slightly belled mouth, 500gn Lee pointed bullets with milk carton and newpaper wads and others can make 5 shots touch on cross sticks at 200 yds, as I can not see that well but the gun is a shooter!

Randy C
12-15-2012, 11:37 PM
I want to Thank everybody for all the info and advice in pointing me the right direction, it will be a while before I get to play with it, but I will have everything in and ready to shoot several style bullets then I will see what it likes. I am looking forward to making my own bullets. I received my email about the bullet molds so I will have to wright a check this week.

jp99
12-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Do you mean the frame broke?

No, it comes with a rifle carrying case that ripped apart on me, the rifle itself is quite a good piece.

Regards,

JP99

Randy C
12-16-2012, 11:32 PM
I spent a $100. RCBS 3 Die steel set 45-70 GOVT and shell holder a bag a Winchester Brass 50 ct. I always forget the name of the black powder Goex FFG and I did not see a can on the shelf, I don’t know if they carry it here. I will have to do some research on the best way to break the barrel in on this type of gun.

dagger dog
12-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Randy,

Since blackpowder is classified as an explosive by the BATF, most stores have to keep it off the shelves. A few of my local stores carry it but you have to ask for it as they keep it under lock and key.

Try the Goex web site they have a list of distributors with phone #'s they can give you the dealers that carry their product.

oldracer
12-17-2012, 01:32 PM
I get my BP from Coonies in Hobbs New Mexico. They are listed in the Hobbs telephone directory and are very old school, that is send them proof of age although with me I guess I sound old on the telephone and a check for the total of a case and they will ship it by UPS right to your door. If you are planning to shoot that rifle then you will need the case as 65 to 68gn makes a pound go pretty fast! You'll also need a good supply of lead too!

There are other places that sell less than a case such as Powder Inc and Main Powder House (I think?) so you can check around. I have found that the Goex FFG works well in both my 45-70 rifles and my muzzle loaders so I stay with one type.

Don McDowell
12-17-2012, 07:57 PM
I spent a $100. RCBS 3 Die steel set 45-70 GOVT and shell holder a bag a Winchester Brass 50 ct. I always forget the name of the black powder Goex FFG and I did not see a can on the shelf, I don’t know if they carry it here. I will have to do some research on the best way to break the barrel in on this type of gun.

Where abouts in ND are you? there is quite a number of bp shooters up there.You may want to take some time to visit with Dan C. Heck of a good guy and could surely be a great help in getting you off to a good start.
You can order powder in 5lb lots from Powder Inc, Buffalo Arms, and Grafs will send you 1 lb if you want to stand that much hazmat on a single can of powder.

Bullshop
12-17-2012, 08:31 PM
I am about 180 miles west of Williston. We have a free use range here out to 1000 yards. I seldom see anyone else there. If you want to come and practice I would enjoy the company. I am also looking to partner up with someone for the Quiggley match next summer. Shooting it without a spotter is tough. We could spot for each other. I hope to shoot an 1884 Trapdoor in the Trapdoor class.
Let me know if your interested.

Randy C
12-18-2012, 12:31 AM
I am about 180 miles west of Williston. We have a free use range here out to 1000 yards. I seldom see anyone else there. If you want to come and practice I would enjoy the company. I am also looking to partner up with someone for the Quiggley match next summer. Shooting it without a spotter is tough. We could spot for each other. I hope to shoot an 1884 Trapdoor in the Trapdoor class.
Let me know if you’re interested.
I will pm you later it is my bed time. I am interested it is a long drive for me but I drive in the Stanley - Ray area for work, I live east of Minot.

Don McDowell
12-18-2012, 12:32 AM
Bullshop it's to early for me to say I'll positively be at the Quigley, but if it gets time to be there and you still don't have a spotter, we'ld be glad to squad you with us and spot for you.

Randy C
12-18-2012, 03:13 PM
I am looking forward to doing some shooting this year I have worked so many hours the last 5 years and donated all my vacations to everybody else’s cause’s that I am going to do something for myself this year that is why I am spending so much on the reloading and the 2 rooms I am redoing, I started buying stuff 20 years ago and just got serious the last few. I don’t own but a couple of guns. I am not a collector.
I would rather be efficient with what I have.
Thanks again for the advice I will be out there this year.
I called Coonies in New Mexico a case, 25 1lb cans delivered to my door of cartridge grade is 416 dollars today will go up the first of the year delivered by ups

Bullshop
12-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks Don greatly appreciated!

oldracer
12-18-2012, 04:31 PM
When the UPS person delivers the Coonies order you will be surprised. The double walled cardboard box has bright red explosives warnings all over it and they'll just plop it at your door, no signature required or anything.......

Don McDowell
12-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Bullshop, if nothing else we sure look forward to meeting you there. Be sure and get that 84 tuned up and running tight, those trapdoor shooters at the Q got those things figured out real well...

Randy C
01-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Dan thank you for the email I sent in a request for dates so I can shoot at there events.
I did not take very good pictures my wife said this is expensive new venture for me 1300 for gun plus tax 150 for dies primers and 2 bags of Winchester Brass 428.50 for a case of cartridge grade Goex from Coonie’s I sent the check today. OLD WEST BULLET MOULDS was 565 dollars 4 moulds 4 handles cards packer bullet lube sizing dies with punches one die is 230gr rn for 45 Colt/acp and some other things I think, I am waiting for him to finish making them for me and 300. On updating my Reloading library, I have not started on redoing my reloading room I have not been able to make my mind up on how to arrange it so everything from casting to swaging to reloading shotgun to rifle pistol black powder is in the right place and I am still thinking about the BIG MAX also a RCE Walnut Hill press and dies for my Winchester model 70 in 243 wssm that I paid 500 for, from a friend new, It will cost me to get a Léopold tactical scope for it!!! I know I have spent another 600 on smokeless powder primers and odds and ends. I ordered 1700 bullets on here from 338RemUltraMag on here he needs a new Digital scale. I have an order in for a RCBS pro 2000 at sportsman loft and another in the works that is used so I have one for large and small primer set up I won’t have to switch in-between them

My room is a mess

MT Chambers
01-29-2013, 06:26 PM
I really like the ebony forend cap on that gun, just looks right!

knifemaker
01-29-2013, 07:06 PM
if it is a fact that rifle was made by Pedersoli for Cimmaron, you should be getting a very accurate rifle. I have had a 1874 sharps made by Pedersoli for the past 12 years. It will shoot under one inch groups at 100 yards and 1.5 inch at 200 yards with the right load.
If it is a Pedersoli, you can load it up to 29,000 psi and not void the warranty. Pedersoli uses a proof load of 35,000 psi and tested their rifle to 72,000 psi before it sprung the breech block .003. It is actually stronger then the Shiloh 1874 Sharps as Pedersoli uses a forged receiver, Shiloh uses a cast receiver, and the sidewalls on the Pedersoli is .050 thicker then the Shiloh.

The above information was obtained by me from the guy who was in charge of the Pedersoli shooting team when I bought my Pedersoli years ago. I still have the e-mails we traded back and forth.

Randy C
02-01-2013, 12:37 AM
I am waiting on my Black Powder to come in and time to make Boolits some of my big boy toys come in today. This press is not for my bp loading. The small mold is for 45acp and 45colt 230gr the 45 70 molds are 440gr Chicken bullet 547gr Silhouette and 545gr NASA. I will have to get with one of the experienced shooters to get me off to the right start. Well it is past my bed time.
Thanks Randy

Randy C
02-09-2013, 12:05 AM
60759 May be next month it will be delivered 240.00

60760 Its here

The cost of my reloading room keeps going up, Midway only had half my order the rest will be next month. It was 1400.00