PDA

View Full Version : 8 Gauge Load

double8
12-13-2012, 04:04 PM
I have a Belgian double 8 that I've owned for quite some time now....haven't fired it [yet] for reasons not to be discussed. Anyone have a proven load for this gauge? I used to shoot a 3 1/2 dram equivalent black FF in my double 10. This seems a bit light for an 8, although the 10 would hurt after a while.

starmac
12-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Can't help you on the loads, but ouch I can see where the 10 would hurt after a while. lol

double8
12-13-2012, 06:39 PM
The 10 was awesome...36" barrels reached a looong way out there!

DIRT Farmer
12-13-2012, 07:25 PM
The square load in a muzzle loader would be 2oz of shot. ie 8 balls to the pound, the diamater of the ball equals bore diamater, 16 oz divided by 8 = 2oz. Use a dipper with the volume of the shot load gives the amount of powder.
No responsibilitys for the condition of your gun accpeted on my part, proof it your self.

There is no reason the gun would not do nicely for trap, skeet or small game with a on oz load.

double8
12-13-2012, 07:56 PM
The 2 oz. of shot volume would give me a 4 1/2 Dram equivalent of powder according to my powder/shot dipper. Lordy, that's going to hurt! I'll just work up from the 10 Ga. load. I'm sure the gun will handle it....you should see the width of the barrels at the "breech" end. The gun weighs just over 10 lbs.

DIRT Farmer
12-14-2012, 03:15 AM
I have two 9 gauges, one weighs right at 12 pounds and 36 inch tubes. It handles 1.5 oz of shot and (I can't remember the powder weight) with the dipper set for 1/4 oz less, it will smash targets way out there. Not bad for skeet with 1 1/8 oz of shot. The big gun is rather wide across the breach.

Doc_Stihl
12-14-2012, 07:43 AM
....you should see the width of the barrels at the "breech" end. The gun weighs just over 10 lbs.

Yes we should see. Let's see a pic!

I know a gentleman from town that shoots an 8ga double with slugs. If I can find his # I'll try to get in touch with him to see if he has any load recomendations.

double8
12-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Here's a couple of pictures of the 8ga.

double8
12-15-2012, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=DIRT Farmer;1956341]The square load in a muzzle loader would be 2oz of shot. ie 8 balls to the pound, the diamater of the ball equals bore diamater, 16 oz divided by 8 = 2oz. Use a dipper with the volume of the shot load gives the amount of powder.

I just did the math on the powder at 4 1/2 drams equivalent..........that's a load of 123 grains of powder pushing 2 oz. shot.

fouronesix
12-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Don't have an 8 ga but if it were mine I'd just load it using the equal volume rule with a normal 10 or 12 ga load to see how it patterns. After all, the name of the game is how well it patterns. Chances are the best patterns will be well below any kind of max load.

double8
12-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Some info on Drams/Grains: This however, is not a volume measure, but a weight measure. Got this off the internet.

GRAINS OR DRAMS
One pound weighs 7000 grains
One pound is 16 ounces, each ounce has 16 drams.
One pound is 256 Drams, one Dram is 27-11/32 Grains.
Pistols use half to one grain per caliber of bore size.
Rifles and shotguns use one to two grains per caliber of bore size.

fouronesix
12-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Some info on Drams/Grains: This however, is not a volume measure, but a weight measure. Got this off the internet.

GRAINS OR DRAMS
One pound weighs 7000 grains
One pound is 16 ounces, each ounce has 16 drams.
One pound is 256 Drams, one Dram is 27-11/32 Grains.
Pistols use half to one grain per caliber of bore size.
Rifles and shotguns use one to two grains per caliber of bore size.

I'd still try something like 85 gr of FF and an equal volume of shot (works out to about 520 gr of #6 lead shot). Unless the gun is suspect in strength that would seem to be a reasonable starting point. The gun looks to be in very good condition.

BTW, that is the load I shot most in my heavy 12 ga and seemed to pattern best. Of course some experimenting with different wad combinations is usually required to get best patterns with any ML shotgun.

double8
12-15-2012, 08:53 PM
I had an interesting question asked of me.....a gent asked if I had ever 'rung" the barrels to test my BP shotgun. I confessed that in all my years, I had never heard of "ringing a barrel" of a double bbl shotgun. He said take the barrel[s] off the stock, hang them from a wire thru the lug the wedge goes through, and tap the barrels with a rubber hammer or a block of wood. If they ring like a bell, they are good, if they "clunk" or rattle.....beware.
I did the test.....they rang like Big Ben! They changed pitch as I moved up and down the barrels.........

fouronesix
12-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Ya, haven't heard of that for a long time :) I think it was common for checking forging flaws in twist forged (some call Damascus) barrels. He may have known that yours were that type barrel. It is also used sometimes for modern doubles to check for separations or flaws in the barrel to barrel sweated joint. I also think swordsmiths did the same test on laminar forged blades.

Oh and good that they rang!

missionary5155
12-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Good morning
That is a well proportioned looking double.
Nice thing about 2F is there are no raskelly pressures surges to contend with. Just that nice long unobstructed tube to expand into.
I now wonder if some one made a double flinter where the frizzen was atop the barrel keeping the overall width to barrel width ? Possible would have been a lock assembly similar to that used on cannons.
Well no matter you have an interesting double to take on a whole flock of crows.
Mike in ILL.

DIRT Farmer
12-17-2012, 01:24 AM
Mike there were several origonal pistoles that used the frizen on top of the barrels. The sights were on the side of the gun. You could really shoot it holding it sideways.

I have seen a few copies of the "inline" flint origonals, and have woundered how well it would shoot as the frizen pops up after being struck. That might make follow through intersting.

Just Duke
12-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Where can you pic up an 8 ga. theses days?

double8
12-25-2012, 06:10 PM
UHHH,.....I know where you just might find one..................

Just Duke
12-25-2012, 06:22 PM
uhhh,.....i know where you just might find one..................

pm? :)

double8
12-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Pm....!!

Alan
12-30-2012, 09:09 PM
I have an 8-bore trap gun I bought from Richard Beauchamp. It is a single that is choked Full. I use the .125" card wads x2 under the shot, and a thin overshot wad from Precision Reloading. Everything from 7/8 oz to 1 3/8 oz shoots SUPERBLY. Decimated the starlings and barn swallows around my dad's feed lot and house. Mr. Beauchamp used it at Friendship w/ 2 oz of shot and won as the backup shooter at skeet. don't remember the name of the contest, precisely. I haven't got that brave - 1 3/8oz square load does everything I want a shotgun to do.

DIRT Farmer
12-31-2012, 01:10 AM
Alan that was the protection match on the trap range.