PDA

View Full Version : Loading Manual for Cast

Redd508
12-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Hi. My name is Dave and I'm a junky.
It started out innocently enough with a 38sp Lee Loader. Just a few loads on the weekends. Now i don't know how i got where i am. I'm even casting my own now. Its starting to become a problem. I have a need to make boolits for every caliber i shoot.

Now to the problem. I can't lay my hands on a good manual with alot of lead boolit data. I can find bits and pieces but not a comprehensive manual that covers a broad spectrum. Can some one please help me?

trying2learn
12-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Lyman makes a good cast boolit manual. I believe its called the lyman cast bullet handbook. Other then that I have every free piece i f literature from the powder manufactures I can get. Most of it is on the websites.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Larry Gibson
12-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Lyman's #4 Cast bullet Handbook is currently in print and can easily befound at gunshops or in larger gun departments. It can be ordered from most suppliers like Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Midway, Graf's, etc. It is a good manual with the most data of any and other good info on casting. Also check in used book stores for Lyman's #3 Cast Bullet Handbook. It also has lots of data plus other inf not now contained in #4.

Lee's manual has quite a bit of data and info on cast bullets also. It is pretty easy to find at the same places as th Lyman. RCBS and a couple others make smaller ones that are generally harder to find.

Larry Gibson

Beerd
12-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the forum Dave.

Get a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. You can probably find it at the same place you get your other casting supplies.

You said "Its starting to become a problem. I have a need to make boolits for every caliber i shoot."
Wait until you start casting a bullet just because someday you may have a firearm to shoot it in. Then, brother, you will have a problem.

Calamity Jake
12-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Accurate has cast data in there book, some rifle and most pistol.

Redd508
12-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Thx guys. The Lyman cast bullet handbook isnt carried at my local but I should be able to find it online now that i know what to look for. I guess my google-fu is weak.
And Beerd, i can only hope

12-13-2012, 07:32 PM
When it comes to Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, I prefer the third edition over the fourth.

williamwaco
12-13-2012, 07:55 PM
When it comes to Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, I prefer the third edition over the fourth.

I agree BUT.

Volume 4 has some new bullets and powders that a newbie might be interested in.

Mal Paso
12-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Volume 4 also messed up several calibers. I would verify any load data you find there.

PS Paul
12-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Welcome to the forum, Redd. I also would suggest the Lyman. Great stuff by Mike Venturino on casting good boolits too.

So admitting you have a problem is the first step, dude. Congratulations! ha-ha!!

rintinglen
12-16-2012, 06:42 AM
What Problem, I can stop anytime I want...

zuke
12-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Check out the LEE manual's, the second edition tell's you how to find your right alloy and at what speed's it will work at.
Also give's you a formula on how to calculate reduced load's with cast in just about any calober.

jimb16
12-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Every time I think I've got enough cast to last me a while, along comes a new mold and it starts all over again! HELP!!!!

gclark94560
04-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Does any manual hand a good range of data (subsonics too) for the 300 BLK?

41 mag fan
04-21-2013, 08:31 AM
I myself, am disappointed with the Lyman Cast bullet manual. I do refer to the 47th edition some. 49th edition, i have and seldom sees daylight on the pages.
I have the 2nd edition of the Lee manual and use it more. I was skeptical of the Lee manual, till I used 1. Wasn't long after that I had one of my own come in the mail.

Jeffrey
04-21-2013, 11:20 AM
The best manual I've found for data is right here http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/default.html

john hayslip
04-21-2013, 11:44 AM
cast bullets almost always generate lower pressures than jacketed loads so you can start with the starting loads for the same weight bullet in any manual and work up.

Jupiter7
04-25-2013, 06:08 AM
Does any manual hand a good range of data (subsonics too) for the 300 BLK?

For cast, no. Hornady 9th has 300BLK data. I've had to do most of my 300BLK cast sub work on my own. Too many variables from one gun to the next. I had no luck with h110 with cycling in ar15 w/pistol gas system. I use unique in my bolt rifle. My AR subs have been successful with lil gun and easy attainable results with a1680. Using accurate 310240e, function and feeds in most magazines and feeds easily in rem700 sps.

Smoke4320
05-03-2013, 05:25 PM
What Problem, I can stop anytime I want...

I can too .. Did it 4 times already :) :)
as a matter of fact after my next 3 molds arrive I will probably stop again :)

PS I love the smell of melting lead in the evening