PDA

View Full Version : .38 Spl loaded rounds oversize

nonferrous
12-12-2012, 11:03 PM
I have recently noticed that a few .38 rounds in each box seem to go oversize for some reason. I know that some of my brass has been loaded several times and my mistake may be in not keeping good records and loading them too many times.
it seems like they should be rerun through the sizing die after crimping to bring them back to the correct dia. I am using a Lyman Carbide sizer with .148 gr TL WC and LLL, sized .358.

Am I missing something?
Thanks

shotman4
12-12-2012, 11:32 PM
yes
are you using wadcutter brass?? There is a difference, +p will be so tight it wont go in most cylinders loaded with a wadcutter. Reg hi vel brass has a taper . wad cutter brass dont
90% wadcutter has the mid contour

williamwaco
12-12-2012, 11:40 PM
I think your problem is in the setting of the resizing die is not screwed down far enough to full length resize the cases.

I have seen this many times.

HOWEVER, there are other possibilities.

Military brass is much thicker in the walls and a wad cutter will usually expand the case during the seating operation.

NEVER use military cases for wad cutters.

Try measuring the outside diameter of the cases before and after seating the bullets.

If I remember correctly it should be no larger than .377 for easy chambering. Easy means snug but no pressure.

If you don't have a caliper or a micrometer, next time you find one that is very difficult to chamber, fire it, put the empty in your pocket.
When you get home, resize it with your current die setting then check to see if the resized case will chamber. If it is still too tight, your resizing die is not set correctly.

If it does chamber OK but then refuses to chamber after the bullet is seated, your case walls are too thick or your bullet is too large.

C.F.Plinker
12-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Is it too big at the base or at the mouth? If the latter and if you are using a crimp seater instead of a seperate crimp die, your brass could be a little too long and you could either trim it or readjust the crimp seater.