PDA

View Full Version : I shouldn't load late in the day

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-12-2012, 09:05 PM
So I'm on the last box of 20 in 150 round loading fest for my Argentine-getting ready for
our winter gong shoots. All is well till the last 20 rounds. I get the cases sized, in the block
start weighing powder out, move to the press and seat 20 purdy Noe 205 grainers. No problem.
The I pick one up to put it in the box, and leave a trail of powder dribble, DOH! You guessed it-
I forgot to prime the cases:veryconfu
Get out the puller, jerk all the slugs, clean up the mess and start over. Back to weighing charges
got through about 8 & !@#$%^&*- - - I did it AGAIN!!!!

Guess I'm starting over in the AM after some fresh coffee
Pay attention out there, you really can't do this stuff in your sleep [smilie=b:

WILCO
12-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Yep. Never reload when you're tired.

theperfessor
12-12-2012, 09:43 PM
I've learned enough about myself to know that when I get tired or my blood sugar gets low there is a time to quit before I hurt myself. Anytime I've pushed that limit I've paid in pain and blood and tools and scrap parts.

km101
12-13-2012, 01:39 AM
Yup, did about 30 rounds on my progressive press AFTER I had let the primers run out. The scary part was that it took me that long to notice the powder building up on the press! You cant be tired or distracted and reload safely and correctly.

41 mag fan
12-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Been there , done that several times....luckily i caught it before 10 rds loaded each time.

Beau Cassidy
12-13-2012, 07:50 AM
It happens. At least you weren't sitting in a deer stand when you noticed powder leaking out.

44man
12-13-2012, 08:20 AM
You have to check the bottle of Jack to gauge the point you don't see the primers!!! [smilie=s:

x101airborne
12-13-2012, 08:24 AM
I feel your frustration and admit to doing it myself a couple of times.
I did it on my Dillon a couple of times before I realized I needed the primer warning system.
Glad you caught it. Frustrating, but not really dangerous. Good luck!

captaint
12-13-2012, 08:26 AM
that's the little bird telling you "it's nappie time" !!! Glad it all worked out... enjoy Mike

FISH4BUGS
12-13-2012, 08:59 AM
I once loaded 1000 45 autos on the Dillon 550 without checking the first 25 or so to make sure they functioned and fired properly. Guess what? The first 25 or so did NOT function or fire properly.
I now guage every 10th reload or so, regardless of caliber (except straight case revolver i.e. 38, 357, 44, etc.). Even the machine gun rounds, whose guns usually have a very generous chamber dimensions, get guaged.
I load the first 25 pistol rounds and step out back and test them before moving on. Lesson learned the hard way. I still have them in a box waiting to be broken down to components, reclaim the powder, and redo them.......someday when I need 45 auto components.
I think we have ALL done that at some time or another,

Rick N Bama
12-13-2012, 09:03 AM
I loaded 3 rounds of 7.62X54 yesterday morning when I should have been refreshed & raring to go. One of those was loaded without a primer! It happens, and to prevent that very thing from happening, I normally place primed cases upside down in the loading block so that I can see the primers.

Rick

oldred
12-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Look at the bright side, at least it won't cause an accident! :grin:

waksupi
12-13-2012, 12:12 PM
One of the various reasons I won't own a progressive.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-13-2012, 12:13 PM
well I'm sure we've all had our "duh" moments. I can laugh at myself, figured some company wouldn't hurt :)
I would have notice sooner but the powder was Unique and them big fluffy flakes dont dribble out primer holes very well.

JeffinNZ
12-13-2012, 05:27 PM
The phantom primer. I've done that.

The other day I had a dud round I forgot to put powder in. Fortunately the boolit stayed seated in the neck. Got home and sure enough there was the powder still in the lil red dish atop the scales.

.22-10-45
12-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Being overtired causing problems not limited to reloading..this morning working in garage..too little sleep & lights not turned on..I plugged in extension cord coiled up on casting bench..at least thats the cord I intended to plug in...as I was turning away..I happened to notice cord was black in color..extension was dark green..as I said it was dark in there...I had plugged in casting pot!..now I keep these covered in old throw rugs..could have been bad if I hadn't of noticed!

**oneshot**
12-13-2012, 10:09 PM
I think we have all had that "duh" moment. nothing like trying to seat your finger tip in a 22hornet case or decapping your fingernail to wake you up in the morning.

x101airborne
12-13-2012, 10:32 PM
I think we have all had that "duh" moment. nothing like trying to seat your finger tip in a 22hornet case or decapping your fingernail to wake you up in the morning.

Geese, is that just not the truth with the 22 hornet? I have NEVER cut so much flesh off in a press as reloading for the 22 hornet. I would almost rather just buy ammo than reload for the 22 hornet.

1Shirt
12-22-2012, 11:03 AM
While the hornet is somewhat of a pain, the 25ACP, is the KING of PIA, and is a definate flesh cutter!
1Shirt!

Silver Eagle
12-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Noticing the .1 poise got bumped on the scale half way through a tray of 45 ACP. :oops: Say a couple bad words and back track in the tray until you find out where it got bumped. Fortunately the only cost was time as they were only being powdered.