PDA

View Full Version : Pac-Nor Barrels

Beekeeper
12-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Anyone ever use them?
Contacted them about rebarreling a M98 Mauser for me.
Answer I got back kinda floored me, to say the least!

& MM Mauser barrel , minimum price $260
Install on my 98 action after they inspect and deem satisfactory $300
Must pay postage both ways $50.

So for $610 I get a worn out M98 action with a new barrel
Sweet deal for them as I could buy a complete new rifle for less.

beekeeker

Ps: now to go and get myself banned or at least a long time out!!!

Gunor
12-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Not say that is NOT a lot of money, but they have been decent barrels here in the Pacific NW.
Seemed to be a good barrel - from my High Power days - my $0.02 for PacNor barrels

For that $300 - they will true and lap the action too - maybe compare that to other barrels makers/gunsmith's installation costs.

BTW: I did install an Adams and Bennett (Barrett?) - 22-250 1-8" on my mauser for a lot less. Short chamber and all. Bought the finnish reamer and guage. Might be an option.

Geoff in Oregon

hithard
12-12-2012, 10:25 PM
I had them do my 700x, yes that 300hun. get's your action work done, lugs lapped and threads trued along with the face if needed. I will say their service is outstanding, and I would have sworn that my action even got a new bluing job. You should also look at their interchangable barrel system, could really make things fun. I have a good friend who has several barrels for his remmy and the accuracy swapping back and forth is great.

timspawn
12-12-2012, 11:32 PM
I have a smith building a rifle for me using a PacNor barrel. Its supposed to be here soon. Mine is in .223

Bullshop
12-13-2012, 12:10 AM
I have built two rifles with Pac-nor barrels and both are superbly accurate.
One is a 30" heavy sporter in 6mmx284 with 1/7" twist and the other is a 30" heavy sporter in 300 Win mag with 1/12" twist.
The 6mm shot great from the start putting 107gn Berger VLDs in the mid .3s
The 300 was a dissapointment for about 50 rounds after the break in procedure. After the 50 rounds it perked right up and became a dependable sub moa shooter.

rmcc
12-13-2012, 12:52 AM
I have had great luck with PacNor. I too, used a 98 action. Spec'd a 26" 1.250 X 1.000" straight taper. I had them short chamber it and we finished it here. Chambered it in 30/06 so I didn't have to change the bolt face. I have another action and getting ready to order another one!! It will be a .257 WBY. Penny, who answers the phone and takes orders, really knows barrels.

Rich

376Steyr
12-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Somebody once wrote "take a hundred dollar bill and fold it length-wise. Take another hundred dollar bill and fold it the same way and balance it on top of the first. Now take a match and light them both on fire. If you can do that without it bothering you, you are ready to start building a custom rifle!" Wish I could remember where I saw that. Pac-Nor's prices are in line with what the other top of the line outfits are advertising. When I built my M98 sporter(which everybody should do once, and only once), I found when I got done I could have bought a brand new Winchester M70 and been money ahead.

Beekeeper
12-15-2012, 02:48 PM
The main part I didn't like was the 300 for an action inspection.
If "they" deem it unsatisfactory " they" cut it so it cannot be used and send it back to you. Still charge you the 300 plus shipping.
Kinda hard in my mind.
Deem it unsatisfactory in "their" mind and cut it so it can never be used again and then rub it in by sending the pieces back to you and make you pay the freight.

beekeeper

hithard
12-15-2012, 04:32 PM
I would look into that a little further, as most of the actions just fail in regaurds to not being properly heat treated. Which you could have done, if need be.

If your worried about this happening then buy their barrel and have another shop install it.

As for stating that if you did this you would have a worn out m98 action and new barrel. This is just not the case. With the lugs lapped and the face and threads trued, you would have a solid set-up. The only way to wear out an action is to blow it up.

B R Shooter
12-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Think of the liability on their end. If they installed a barrel on a questionable action, they are liable. If you have a questionable action, maybe you should rethink it.

RG1911
12-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Have a Pac-Nor on my 6.5-.284. Berger 142-grain VLDs are going into 1/3-MOA at 300 yards. (5-shot groups.) Haven't had a chance to take it to the new 600-yard range.

Richard