PDA

View Full Version : 1917 Enfield Scope Mounts Weaver Bases

TCLouis
12-12-2012, 05:13 PM
My gun has normal round front receiver, the rear is "level" with the front and ground flat.

The chart in MidSouth Shooters Supply catalog list three choices, Remington Model 30, Winchester, Remington 721.

The flat rear precludes Model 70 style.

They list 11 and 11 for Model 30 style receiver, #36 and 35 for 721.

Which is correct?

Where are the ones that came on it?

10 years ago when I took them off I put them someplace . . . Where?

If I knew that I would not be posting this request for help.

TIA.

Ben
12-12-2012, 06:35 PM
When I die, people will drag my benches out from the wall and say........" Ummm, I wonder what all these springs, pins, and screws fit ? "

Ben

ipopum
12-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Must be for the model 70. All the others are for round receivers. If I recall the pre 64 had a nearly flat rear receiver. Some of the p17 actions I remember seeing in the 60's were shaped flat on the rear for model 70 bases.

TCLouis
12-13-2012, 11:13 PM
ipopum

By golly you are right, I dug around the safe til I found an older 70 and sure nuff, it has a flat rear on the receiver.

John Taylor
12-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Must be for the model 70. All the others are for round receivers. If I recall the pre 64 had a nearly flat rear receiver. Some of the p17 actions I remember seeing in the 60's were shaped flat on the rear for model 70 bases.

Model 70 rear bridge has a radius of about 2", not flat.

Mk42gunner
12-15-2012, 03:00 AM
My gun has normal round front receiver, the rear is "level" with the front and ground flat.

The chart in MidSouth Shooters Supply catalog list three choices, Remington Model 30, Winchester, Remington 721.

The flat rear precludes Model 70 style.

They list 11 and 11 for Model 30 style receiver, #36 and 35 for 721.

Which is correct? None of the above is my answer.

Where are the ones that came on it?

10 years ago when I took them off I put them someplace . . . Where?

If I knew that I would not be posting this request for help.

TIA.

When I die, people will drag my benches out from the wall and say........" Ummm, I wonder what all these springs, pins, and screws fit ? "

Ben

I just hope somebody wastes time trying to figure it out.

Model 70 rear bridge has a radius of about 2", not flat.

1917's have been cut down to many different radii on the rear bridge. The only hope of getting one that uses standard bases is if it were originally modified by someone that really knew what they were doing.

Case in point-- I have one that uses two front bases for a Remington Model 700.

I have seen, and this is my recommendation, (given that your rear bridge has been ground flat) a base for a Marlin 336 on the rear and one for a 700 on the front. You may have to adjust the rear base to get them level.

Robert