PDA

View Full Version : Summer sausage

Boz330
12-12-2012, 02:16 PM

I picked up an old sausage stuffer several weeks back from an old butcher. I made up and stuffed some venison summer sausage this morning and have it in the smoker right now. I tried my first venison summer sausage last season and thought that I would try it smoked this year and see if it is any better or worse. The stuffer sure works better than the setup I have been using. The date on this stuffer is 1906 and still works like a charm.

Bob

Bulldogger
12-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Let us know when it's done. (I'll send you my address...)

BDGR

Boz330
12-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Not done yet but it sure smells good.

Bob

Lloyd Smale
12-13-2012, 06:08 AM
one of my favorite things to make next to a cast bullet! Ive made about a 150 lbs this year and have enough stuff left to make about 40 more lbs. Been shooting deer the last couple days to get my scrap stash enough to do it. You want to try something pretty good. Slice your sausage and fry the slices till brown in butter or margarin and fry some eggs. It makes a good fried sausage too.

Boz330
12-13-2012, 09:17 AM
I have done that before and it is good. Mostly though I just slice some up and have it with crackers and a beer as a snack.

Bob

reloader28
12-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Crackers, beer and a slice of pepper jack cheese. Maybe a pickeled garlic or 2.

Made my first batch on Sunday. I used smoke for 1 1/2 hours. It was easy and we are very happy with the results. I think I'm going to make some more this weekend. I have the stuff for jalapenio summer sausage.

I'm going to try the fried sausage. Sounds good.

gbrown
12-13-2012, 10:32 AM
one of my favorite things to make next to a cast bullet! Ive made about a 150 lbs this year and have enough stuff left to make about 40 more lbs.

I have done that before and it is good. Mostly though I just slice some up and have it with crackers and a beer as a snack.Bob

Just curious, but are you using your own spice mix or do you use a commercial mix? I've used commerical mixes for snack sticks and sausage, some was good, some I was disappointed in. For my link sausage, I use my own mix, but I use Zach's for breakfast sausage.

Boz330
12-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Just curious, but are you using your own spice mix or do you use a commercial mix? I've used commerical mixes for snack sticks and sausage, some was good, some I was disappointed in. For my link sausage, I use my own mix, but I use Zach's for breakfast sausage.

The summer sausage mix came from Gander Mountain. There is one on the way back from deer camp. The other sausages that I make are home done. I have a recipe for the summer sausage from a wild game cook book but the kit is just so easy and I don't make that much of it.
My favorite sausage is Boerewors a South African sausage that uses venison and pork. Great grilled.

Bob

Lloyd Smale
12-14-2012, 06:37 AM
go to the meatman.com. Best mix ive found and he also sells high temp pepper jack that you can put right in it. I buy all my sauage mixes from him now. I havent found better and constant get people ive given it to say its the best they ever had. One more little hint with summer sausage no matter whos mix you use. For about every 10lbs of meat your doing add 3/4s of a cup of brown sugar. It gives it just a hint of sweatness that really adds to summer sausage.

Boz330
12-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks Lloyd, I'll try to remember that for the next batch. Finally got to taste the stuff the other day and I have to say that using the smoker really adds another level of taste. I thought the stuff last year was pretty good but this is even better.

Bob

gbrown
12-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. Look at Allied Kenco. They have everything from A to Z for the person who wants to do their own thing in the way of canning, butchering, spices, etc. Not sure how they compare to prices around the country, but I use them. For me going to their place in Houston is like putting a kid in a huge candy or toy store. All I can think of is "I want, I want, ad nauseum."

reloader28
12-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Made 30lbs of jalopeno summer sausage yesterday. HI Mountain mix.
MMMM MMMM GOOOOD.
The only way it could be better is if I had a batch of home brew to go with it.
:drinks:

Lloyd Smale
12-18-2012, 06:04 AM
want to try something pretty good. Slice up a bit of summer sausage and brown it in a pan with butter along with your eggs for breakfast. It tastes almost like fried spiced ham. My kids used to like it better then bulk sausage.

reloader28
12-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Tried that a couple days ago Lloyd and your right, it is very good.:2_high5: