PDA

View Full Version : Are mold handles interchageable

BACKTOSHOOTING
12-12-2012, 03:04 AM
Need to know if lyman 2 cavity handles will fit RCBS and other brands and viceaversa

zuke
12-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Should be, but someone will soon be along with more experiance then me.

root
12-12-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm using a double cavity RCBS mold handle on a single cavity IDEAL mold and vice versa.
One day I'll spend the 15 bux and buy another mold handle.

MT Gianni
12-12-2012, 04:16 PM
In general no. They can perhaps be made to fit but take some work.

asp
12-12-2012, 04:40 PM
They look like they should... but not all do. It doesn't take much creativity to get them to fit. Oblong a hole here, grind a thickness there... In my eyes, they're just handles. The molds are what are "precious"

Walter Laich
12-12-2012, 06:31 PM
I just modified an RCBS DC mold and a SC Lyman handle to mate. Took a bit of the mold off on the back and thinned the arms of the lyman handles so they would fit the narrower slot in the RCBS mold.

Did use some cold blue on all the bare metal because I had the bluing and figured it couldn't hurt in keeping any surface rust down.

Took about 30 minutes--would grind, file or sand and then check. If I did it again would go quicker.

Mold and handle works fine. Got 400 30-30 150gr cowboy bullets ready to go.

John Boy
12-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Are mold handles interchangeable Generally - No! Singles- Doubles - Block size with different screw placement.
Your need - measure the screw placement and width - if they fit your good to go. Otherwise, eBay for the proper handles

rmatchell
12-12-2012, 09:30 PM
I use my rcbs handles with all my lyman molds except the single cavity blocks. I also use a lee 6 cavity set of handles for my 4 cavity lyman molds but had to mill them down a bit I was to cheap to buy the lyman handles when I had an extra pair. There is a sticky here that can answer your questions better.

.22-10-45
12-13-2012, 03:42 AM
Using the wrong handles..even if they can be attatched to blocks, and look to close ok..can screw up a pair of blocks in a hurry..too tight of an angle will wear alignment holes oblong.

JeffinNZ
12-13-2012, 04:50 AM
Using the wrong handles..even if they can be attatched to blocks, and look to close ok..can screw up a pair of blocks in a hurry..too tight of an angle will wear alignment holes oblong.

I agree and further more the same size and manufacture can vary. I have two pair of small Lyman handles and they mount a single cavity mould differently. One closes properly. The other will not.

sprinkintime
12-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Look at Sticky by Buckshot {Lee 6 Cavity Interchange/use list. It is quite complete/very useful.