PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Powder bushings - Homemade from???

rtracy2001
12-12-2012, 01:32 AM
I have a Hornady (pacific) DL-105 shotgun loader in 20 ga, and I am building up a supply of bushings. The 105 is just as fast as the MEC single stage units, and most parts that wear can still be purchased, so I intend to continue using it. The problem is, the powder bushings can be difficult to find in the sizes I need for 20 ga. (12 ga charge bushings are everywhere). The bushings are fairly simple and many have made their own out of 7/8" aluminum rod, but I don't really have the tools to do a good job in aluminum, and the raw material prices keep going up and up. Lee uses a plastic for their bushings, so I was wondering if a 6/6 nylon would be a good choice. It machines easily, is cheap and has good mechanical properties. With basic tools (saw, file, sandpaper and a drill press) I could probably produce a bushing eventually. Is nylon a non-no with powder? (i.e. will the solvents in powders eat it over time?)

kd185
12-12-2012, 08:12 AM
what sizes are you looking for i have several dozen bushing that im looking to sell as ill never use them

Randy C
12-12-2012, 05:55 PM
I have a Hornady (pacific) DL-105 shotgun loader in 20 ga, and I am building up a supply of bushings. The 105 is just as fast as the MEC single stage units, and most parts that wear can still be purchased, so I intend to continue using it. The problem is, the powder bushings can be difficult to find in the sizes I need for 20 ga. (12 ga charge bushings are everywhere). The bushings are fairly simple and many have made their own out of 7/8" aluminum rod, but I don't really have the tools to do a good job in aluminum, and the raw material prices keep going up and up. Lee uses a plastic for their bushings, so I was wondering if a 6/6 nylon would be a good choice. It machines easily, is cheap and has good mechanical properties. With basic tools (saw, file, sandpaper and a drill press) I could probably produce a bushing eventually. Is nylon a non-no with powder? (i.e. will the solvents in powders eat it over time?)
I have a lot of Conversion dies for the 105 new and I dont have one, I have 4 DL155 and a 366 so if some one need some thing in 12ga i might have it pm me.

rtracy2001
12-12-2012, 09:56 PM
what sizes are you looking for i have several dozen bushing that im looking to sell as ill never use them

right now looking for 387, 369, and 375. I haven't finished researching loads yet.

Thought about buying some smaller bushings and then enlarging them, but figured forgetting to remark them could make for some bad news. Also thought about buying a MEC converter, but was not impressed with their selection.

chopperdog
01-21-2013, 02:26 AM
what do you have left for the pacific dl 105

Randy C
01-27-2013, 10:53 PM
I would have to look

I have a lot of Conversion dies for the 105 if some one is interested pm me.

coydogsniper
01-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Take one of the bushings you dont care about and have a machinist drill it out and countersink it to use Mec bushings...got an adapter for the Mec bushings in all of my Pacifics and one Bair (forerunnner to Pacific)....been using them that way for years...they are the same height....just thought I would pass this info to all of ya....sometimes the obvious is not always there until you have a couple cans of IntellaBrew....Don