PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 94 Scout Mount

jh45gun
12-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Taking inspiration from the old forward Lyman scope mount here is the mount a friend made for me today using a dovetail blank drilled and tapped and the forearm band drilled and tapped both for 6/48 screws. Slots on the base milled to fit the dove tail blank and the barrel band makes a sturdy mount that will not shift back or forth.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/WP_000151-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/WP_000150.jpg

Artful
12-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Nice to have friends with vision and skill - looks good - have you tried it out yet - I found the scout scope concept took a little getting used too, but works well after you retrain yourself.

jh45gun
12-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Actually Art I told him how to make it and was there while he made it. I had the idea what I wanted he had the tools and the skill to make it for me. I have a Swedish Mauser with a scout scope set up on it so I am used to them.

jh45gun
12-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Tough Crowd here evidently I figured more would say something. The gun is a post 64 so it is not like it is a collectable it is a shooter and since my 60 year old eyes like the dot sights even better than peep sights it works for me. This will be a FUN GUN/ Tactical gun. Two options for tactical spend a 800 to a 1000 bucks for a AR or put a better faster sighting system on a gun I already have. There is no doubt in my mind a lever gun is still a valid fighting arm if need be. I have two dedicated deer rifles a Guide gun in 45/70 and a Swedish Mauser scout rifle set up for longer range shooting. Plus other center fires for what ever. The 94 you can still use the peep sight set up I have on it if I take the dot sight off just like a true scout rifle.

jh45gun
12-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Note: I also figured how much 30/30 ammo I could reload using my cast bullets and buying used brass and the powder and primers for what a AR would cost even a cheap one. That would add up to a heck of a lot ammo.

olafhardt
12-14-2012, 02:01 AM
I have done similar rigs. If you mix graphite with gorrilla glue and put a small line under the rail it will expand and fill the gap and makes for a very sturdy mount. Just use a little you can get too much

jh45gun
12-14-2012, 02:43 AM
Good tip! But this set up is rock solid and we used red loctite on the screws. i do not plan to take the mount off since like I said with the dot sight off I can use the peep sight set up on it.

Loudenboomer
12-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Many will Poo Poo the scout mount on looks alone. I have to say I fell into this camp. Last week I got a chance to try out my buddy's new ruger m-77 scout rifle with a forward mounted a leupold hand gun scope. This arangement is very fast on target. All I'd say now is don't knock it until you've tried it.

jh45gun
12-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Yea I like the scout set up on rifles. Nice thing is it is fast and easier to use with both eyes open

olafhardt
12-15-2012, 04:13 AM
I mounted a scout scope on a 20 gauga single barrel (NEF) to make a squirrel killing machine.