PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag

Sasquatch-1
12-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger Redhawk (Not Super Redhawk) in .44 mag? I may have a chance to pick one of these up for a good price and was wondering whether this can handle a consistent diet of heavy loads? I sometimes load 240 grn with 21 grns of 2400 and have loaded 28 to 29 grn of 296 in the past.

big dale
12-11-2012, 04:18 PM
I had one for a few years and found that it could handle hot loads better than I could. I doubt if you will ever wear one out by shooting hot loads in it.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

454PB
12-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Yup, mine is 25 years old and has had thousands of very heavy loads fired. They are one tough revolver.

44man
12-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Only thing I don't like is the spring system but the gun is a tank.

shorty500M
12-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Only thing I don't like is the spring system but the gun is a tank.

yup very valid point, as both machinist and gunsmith have toyed with idea of fitting in SRH hammer and mainspring strut, fabricating a hanger for spring compression and adding seperate rebound spring to trigger. Am sure would be doable but aint ever set out to try yet maybe when retire can purchase one and have time to experiment

Sasquatch-1
12-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Now you did see that this is the Redhawk Version and NOT the Super Redhawk? Personnaly I think it is a better looking gun then the Super.

shorty500M
12-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Now you did see that this is the Redhawk Version and NOT the Super Redhawk? Personnaly I think it is a better looking gun then the Super.

am fairly sure all posters saw that. Both are tanks, anvils super strog and tough. But the SRH has better spring system and therefore trigger. Works better for many scoped also. But agree with you 110 % the original Redhawk is the better looking gun

AnthonyB
12-11-2012, 08:01 PM
I bought one the year they came out, using the proceeds from my winter job of taking care of the coal furnace at my school. Had to fill the hopper and clean it out twice a day over the weekend so we would have heat on Monday, and got paid lump-sum in the spring. My Dad took me to Hall Brothers Sporting Goods in Jasper, AL and there was a real contest between a Browning Hi-Power with the satin chrome finish and the Ruger. I was reading a lot of Elmer Keith, and the Ruger went home with me. When the gunsmith asked my Dad if he was really going to let me buy it, Dad told him it was my money and that was that. Also bought a Bianchi shoulder holster at the same time. I think that was the spring of 1980, which means I was 13 at the time. I don't think I have it broken in yet but am still trying.
Tony

MT Gianni
12-11-2012, 08:20 PM
I sold a 6 1/2" 624 when I got my redhawk as it outshot it with 44 specials. It does just as well with magnums.

Benchrest
12-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Love mine, stainless hunter with scope rings. I load 310 gr. wide flat nose over H-110 @ 1250+ fps with never a problem. Also the Redhawks have a longer cylinder than a S&W 20 and allows a longer OAL.

Dale53
12-11-2012, 09:54 PM
I've had one for many years (they had only been out a year or so when I purchased mine) and have taken several deer with it. Fine handgun and "tank" strong:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-2-2.jpg

I have over 10,000 rounds of full loads with my cast bullets over the years.

Dale53

Paul D. Heppner
12-13-2012, 09:30 PM
I have two. A 7.5 and a 5.5 that get fed a steady diet of Lee 310, 21.5 H110, Federal 150 in nickle plated Federal brass. No hicups at all though the deer aren't fond of them.5588655888

The first pic is of my son and his first with a handgun and the second is a buck I shot two years ago.

contender1
12-13-2012, 11:26 PM
I happen to own one Redhawk in 44 mag, and it's my second one. I also own a Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger.
As all the others have said,, they are built strong & are quite capable of handling a steady diet of magnum loads. But,, as always, use care & stay within the safe guidelines of your loading manuels.

200swc
12-14-2012, 12:57 AM
I always wanted a S&W 629, so I sold my Ruger Redhawk to complete the sale. I love the Smith but the Ruger is much more stout and can handle real magnum loads with no trouble.

I'll be looking for another RRH in the near future. With Ruger, one can push the boundaries and win.

I also have a S&W 686, along with a Ruger gp100: I will give up neither. Each have their pros/cons that may equal one another out - tie.

-- Live and learn --

rintinglen
12-14-2012, 09:34 AM
I've had two, but only because I foolishly sold my first one.
As had been said, they are amply strong, better looking and handling than the SRH, though the trigger's are perhaps not as nice. They will outlast a model 29 Smith when shot heavy loads. I'd like to have a 4 incher to go along with my 7 1/2 incher. One of Ruger's better products in my opinion.

44man
12-14-2012, 11:03 AM
If you ever wear out a RH you are a super nut! [smilie=w:
They do like H110 over 296---don't ask, never explained it.
Paul uses the exact loads I have shot in them.
Sasquatch, bring it out and shoot.

Paul D. Heppner
12-14-2012, 09:38 PM
44man, I got that load from reading your posts as a lurker. I also agree with you, does are better on the table (easier to drag out too, no horns to catch on stuff.) I also shoot a recurve with 2020 aluminum arrows and 150 grain cut on contact broadheads. Heavy is GOOD!

Sasquatch-1
12-15-2012, 08:39 AM
44man, I got that load from reading your posts as a lurker. I also agree with you, does are better on the table (easier to drag out too, no horns to catch on stuff.) I also shoot a recurve with 2020 aluminum arrows and 150 grain cut on contact broadheads. Heavy is GOOD!

If you only knew how heavy 44man goes...:bigsmyl2:

44man
12-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Why have you lurked so long?
Yes I am a meat hunter, shot 2 this season with the .500 JRH, 2 with the .475 and 2 with the .44.
I need to get the ladies where I hunt 2 deer each and I keep 2.
I let a large buck walk to breed. Even my friends don't want the meat.
Had my share of big Ohio bucks, bought a pressure cooker for one and never used it since. I could still be wearing shoes made from the meat! Stinky feet too.
The quickest way to lose a friend is to dump big buck meat on them, they will never eat venison again.
Sasquatch is a friend and comes to shoot. I always say "there is a Squatch in my woods."
I had experiences with a REAL Squatch in Ohio. Another story.

Mal Paso
12-15-2012, 08:43 PM
I bought the 4" RH in 44 Mag. It's as solid as it gets. If this is a used gun someone will have paid you to break it in for you.

Only delicate part is the tiny bearings that retain the cylinder. If you shoot a lot of cast the cylinder needs to be pulled and lube cleaned off the yoke every so often.

The Redhawk is a trip, No Screws. Everything is held with pins and springs. Doesn't shoot loose like a Smith.

I hated the trigger until I changed the factory Hogue's to the Pachmayr Decelerator. It lengthened the pull for my big hands. Again, Fit is King.

Paul D. Heppner
12-15-2012, 10:47 PM
I gave that buck (I had my hands on his skull mount today) to my oldest daughters in-laws. They loved it to the point that the father went out and got his hunter safety course and a license. He has poped one for the last two years out the bathroom window eating apples under the tree in the back yard. So much for all the gear, treestands and all I have accumulated over the last 40 years. Should have just sat in the crapper. I didn't get out much this year. It's only the second time in 40 years that I haven't brought at least one home. My son covered for me though. He got a nice doe with his bow and shot this horse of a doe with his 270. Kind of a goofy picture but you get the picture, he's 5'9".56032

EMC45
12-16-2012, 09:23 AM
That doe is HUGE!!

btroj
12-16-2012, 09:37 AM
That is a huge doe.

wl620
12-18-2012, 01:13 AM
I have a couple of redhawks one 7.5" 44 and one 7.5" 45 colt, the 45 sees more use than the 44 but I primarily use both of them for magnum only loads because it is easier for me to manage heavy recoil with the redhawk grip than with a single action SBH OR BH the 45 gets fed boolits that weigh any where from 275 to 320 grains with healthy doses of H110 or 296 it has digested a lot of these type loads and is still very tight and shoots great,the 275 gr load has accounted for a couple whitetails and an oryx. If you do not like the trigger you can help it a bunch by putting a wolff spring kit in it and lightly polishing all of the engagement surfaces I have done this to 5 redhawks and it is a fairly simple task I use the lightest spring in the kit (I believe its a twelve pound)and have not had a problem with light primer strikes, if you go to ruger's website they have assembly/disassembly videos that make it a lot easier than trying to do it out of a book.my advice if you decide to go this route is, when you get that trigger group out before you do anything else take a few pictures of it from different angles. I think you will enjoy your redhawk very much and you will play hell wearing it out.

FLINTNFIRE
12-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Have had 2 , kept the blue one as it is my preference blue over stainless , only issue I had was a pawl plunger spring, and yes the ruger video makes the assembly easier , it is a good gun, ruger sent the parts out promptly and not a penny did they charge , well worth the money they are