PDA

View Full Version : I measured all of my trigger pulls

44man
06-25-2007, 06:34 PM
A friend brought over his trigger scale since I am too cheap to buy one. I measured all of my handguns.
Ruger Old Army is 30 oz.
Ruger SBH is 24 oz.
BFR .475 is 26 oz.
BFR 45-70 is 19 oz.
Ruger .45 Vaquero is 24 oz.
MOA 7BR is 18 oz. (No trigger work done on these last four.)
Witchita 7R is 24 oz.
Ruger Mark II stainless target is 34 oz.
Ruger 10" Mark II silhouette is 28 oz.
I also measured my friends Freedom at 4# but when shooting Creedmore, it is so crisp it feels like 2#.

Lloyd Smale
06-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Now its getting real old. I have my buddy do my triggers on all my guns and what do you think he sets them on. 2LBs!! It means alot to me that they are all real close it makes it much easier for me to switch from gun to gun. As a matter of fact he did both of my 500 linebaughs which are both round butted 4 inch bisley vaqueros and worked an extra day so that they would match perfectly. He even has them so they feel the same cocking them. If you closed your eye your wouldnt know which one you were shooting.

44man
06-25-2007, 10:31 PM
I wish I could get them all the same but it is too much work when you get lighter then 2# because some guns won't tolerate it. It is prudent to stop with some. I would love to go to 1#. Safety and reliable ignition is more important. I really can't tell any difference between them when shooting.
I just hate a gun when you have to keep pulling and pulling until your vision blurs and the gun starts to move.

Lloyd Smale
06-26-2007, 06:36 AM
especially when it comes to a hard kicking handgun. If you want to develope a good flinch fast. Pick up something the kicks and has creap in the trigger!!

44man
06-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Many strange things happen when pulling a trigger under different conditions. Mine are perfect when shooting from bags but when I shoot off hand at a target, none seem to want to go off no matter how light. Even my set triggers on my muzzle loaders seem to get very heavy even though they are a few ounces.
But when shooting at deer, all go off very smooth and easy without thought.
Same thing with noise. If I fire my .44 at a target and forget to put my muffs down over my ears, the pain and ringing is fierce. (Yes, I did it once.) But I can even shoot my .475 at a deer without any problem.
I bought those muffs that amplify sound and cut off with the gun but I don't have directional hearing, can't tell where a sound is coming from. Regular muffs and plugs cut all sounds and I can't hear deer walking or tell the difference between a deer or squirrel if I do hear them.
I have the same problem with archery whether using my fingers or a release. Shooting at a target means concentration on the release. When I shoot at a deer, as soon as the pin touches the aim point, the arrow is gone. I never remember or feel it go off.
I shoot three times better on game then I do on a target.
Head games for sure!

Newtire
06-26-2007, 09:02 AM
I have an old ignition points tension gauge that I've been meaning to dig out & try out as a tension gauge. If iremember right, the tension is around 21 oz. to set points (that number sticks in my head) so should work as it reads higher. Now just have to find it and try it out.