PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of the differnt block sizes?

Dolomite_supafly
12-11-2012, 10:32 AM
I am getting ready to order a mold. It will probably be a 2 cavity 30 caliber mold. They offer two sizes, a 1.8" and a 2.35". Or I might even order a 3 cavity 2.35" mold depending how well it will fit into my routine.

What would be the advantage of one over the other?

I have been using 2 cavity Lee molds for a few years now and they measure 1.8". I generally run 2-3 molds at a time. If I pick up the 2.35" mold, either 2 or 3 cavity, would that be too far off the others to put a wrench in my routine. Woud a 3 cavity 2.35" mold better fit my current 2 cavity 1.8" Lee mold?

I have used NOE molds and they worked great but not with other molds at the same time.

Thanks
Dolomite

asp
12-11-2012, 10:57 AM
More material in a mold = more consistent mold temp (as long as they are the same material). More material might take longer to get up to temp, but it will hold it more steadily once there.

I have 2 molds that I use for 45-70, both are single cavity. One is a RCBS 405 gr FN GC. It's about a 1.5" cube. I have another 385 gr RN plain base mold Ideal that is about 7/8" square, 1 1/4" tall - a lot less material. I find I get frosty boolits very easily with the Ideal and have to cool it on a wet towel for a lot longer than I do the RCBS mold. Maybe my melt is a little on the hot side at 700*, but that's what it seems to take to get good fill-out. Either way, I'm putting about the same amount of molten lead (and heat energy) into each mold with every pour, but the RCBS mold has a lot more material to soak up the heat.

beagle
12-11-2012, 02:05 PM
On iron moulds, bigger is better, especially when you're casting big bullets. The larger size seems to dissipate exces heat quicker. On aluminum, from my experiences, size doesn't matter. With a .30 bullet, you probably can use either./beagle