PDA

View Full Version : Simple Drip-O-Matic Temporary Fix

dale2242
12-10-2012, 09:37 PM
I put an slip on axle nut on top of the discharge valve stem on my Lee drip-O-Matic.
Now I can give it a quick twist when it tries to drip.
This a temporary fix while casting. I wear cotton gloves while casting so I can turn the nut by hand while the sprue is setting , which will stop the drip.
My pot will not drip every cast, but when it does, turning the valve stem will stop it every time.
It`s a PITA to grab a screwdriver to turn it.
Simple, easy solution to a common problem.
Just remember to wear gloves when turning the valve stem by hand as it will be hot....dale

Jon
12-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Have any pics? I'm not quite sure what you did there.

williamwaco
12-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Imagine a wing nut on top of the valve stem.

r6487
12-12-2012, 10:08 PM
i took an added a 10 oz salt water lead weight on the valve control arm behind the existing weight(the existing weight is threaded on). I rarely have a drip at all. The valve stem gets closer to being bouyant when it's in a full pot of molten lead, increasing the stems pressure against the valve spout with the extra weight seems to work for drip prevention

Frozone
12-12-2012, 10:23 PM
I picked up a (very cute) pair of 3" 'visegrip' pliers at Lowes for a couple bucks.
Works as well as anything I've used before.
On the 20# you can still get to the flow control with em in place too.

Mal Paso
12-12-2012, 11:57 PM
I've noticed after a few hundred pounds of alloy, sulfur looking deposits (Lead Oxide?) form on the valve and seat. Rotating the rod and adding weight help but draining the pot and cleaning the rod tip and seat make it truly drip free ......... for a while.......

Mike W1
12-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Had small bolts welded on the top of the plunger, that screw slot is a pain in the rump. The only problem I've had was trying to find a decent little knob that resists temperature. Should have bought the knobs first and used the appropriate small bolt afterwards. What I ended up with was some ground clamps we used to use in telephone business. It finally dawned on my today I could just cut a section of garden hose to shield them from my fingers though I always wear gloves anyhow. Giving the rod a twist every so often has become part of my casting routine and definitely cuts down on the drips. I suspect that little added weight of those ground clamps probably also helps.