PDA

View Full Version : Enfield Wizards

Jack Stanley
12-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Or Enfield genius or Enfield master ..... whatever . You guys gave me the tip to stagger the ammo in the charger . I tried a few the other day with the little time I had and it worked good . Today I had time to run about seventy rounds through all from the chargers , didn't have one stoppage . Of course I only loaded the magazine with five at a time . It seems the tenth round doesn't want to play ball because the overall length is to long for the flat nose bullets . But anyway , thanks guys the chargers are smoother to empty this way too .

OK one more question . On the bottom of the stock directly behind the front sling swivel there is a screw that is attatched to a band that goes around the barrel ( I think ) . What is the purpose of this device ? Something tells me it's not for holding the barrel to the stock .

Thanks , Jack

Ragnarok
12-10-2012, 08:13 PM
You must have a No.1 Mk.III or the like.

The funky barrel band on mine has like a spring and a bushing insert. I believe that mechanism works to sort of stabilize the barrel in the stock improving accuracy.

I came to this conclusion the old fashioned way as my SSA No.1 Mk.III* was missing the spring when I got it...also was so-so on accuracy. A look at a parts schematic showed the spring I did not have. I got myself a spring and installed it...messed around with the tension a bit and settled on snug...shot great then.

Jack Stanley
12-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Indeed it is a number one mkIII , it has been a very long time since I had the forestock off the rifle but I think it does have the spring in there . Perhaps I should fool with the tension a bit huh?

Jack

curator
12-10-2012, 11:50 PM
The screw on a No.1 MkIII* adjusts a barrel tension devise inside the fore-arm. It can change both the group size and point of impact.

Legion489
12-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Yes, the band IS to hold the barrel to the stock. This is a barrel tensioner and has a ring that goes around the barrel with a spring on the bottom. The screw tensions the barrel and adjusting it up and down should help your rifle shoot better and adjust the point of aim with various loads/weight of bullets. People weren't stupid then and there is nothing new under the sun, just stuff that the new shooters learn that the old shooters knew 50-100-200+ years ago.

The "Weaver" stance was in use back in the 1920s and 30s if you look at the shooting books published back then. I haven't seen or heard of a single "new" way to shoot that wasn't tried way back when, it is just new to the new shooters. Same with all the "new" equipment, if you look it just might be used on that old Enfield or Mauser 100 years ago.

Jack Stanley
12-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I guess that's something else I can play with on the old rifle . Normally I only use the rifle up close with twelve and a half grains of Unique and a hundred ninety grain bullet . This might be able to tighten the good group even better huh?

Oh one more thing , I got into my stash of HXP on strippers and obviously the Greeks never heard of arranging the ammo in the strippers like you guys have taught me . They were packed just about every way imaginable .

Jack

milprileb
12-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Clarification: the screw mid section indeed runs up to the barrel band. It does not have adjustments iwth spring .
The screw out on the nose cap of the No.1MkIII rifle indeed has a spring and tension cup that can change impact / strike of bullets
if adjusted: it puts more or less pressure as you see fit , upon the end of the barrel.

Look at a diagram of No.1Mk III rifle and you will see what I mean.