PDA

View Full Version : Stop ring design

ShooterOnTheLine
12-10-2012, 04:03 PM
What is the advantage or disadvantage of having a stop ring designed into a rifle round?

MtGun44
12-10-2012, 10:44 PM
OK, I'll bite. I've been reloading for 45 years, and I haven't heard of a "stop ring designed into
a rifle round". What exactly are you talking about? Do you have a picture? I think there must
be another term for what you are talking about. Rim? Belt? Shoulder? Cannelure? Not sure
what you mean.

Bill

hithard
12-10-2012, 10:50 PM
are you talking about a small section of the boolit that could would be nothing more than a "band" around the boolit of sized a few thousands larger than the nominal boolit diameter. This would fit inside the neck portion of the chamber, but large enough that it would not fit inside the case neck. You would just seat the boolit to the bottom of this band.

If so, you would have to either have a longer neck in the chamber area, or cut your necks shorter to allow for room of this "band".

or am I way off.

HARRYMPOPE
12-10-2012, 10:55 PM
I have the 311259 I also had Erik Ohlen plain base a 311291 and put a .318 stop ring on it fora 30-06 but it was a failure.The German stop ring bullet for the 8.15 x 46 shoots well for a buddy but the throat is designed for that bullet.

here is the info on it i did a couple years back.-

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=6486&forum_id=10&highlight=stop+ring

Somebody else needs to play more with this idea.No- we dont need a groups buy for one. GRIN

MtGun44
12-11-2012, 02:02 AM
Can't access the link. Still not sure what the OP means.

Bill

MtGun44
12-11-2012, 02:02 AM
Can't access the link.

Bill

uscra112
12-11-2012, 02:38 AM
Tried the link - it wants me to be a logged-in member of the Cast Bullet Association. Can't be bothered tonight.

HARRYMPOPE
12-11-2012, 02:52 AM
You can log in as a guest

I'll Make Mine
12-11-2012, 08:06 AM
I Googled "stop ring rifle cartridge" (without quotes) and came up with a reference indicating that a stop ring on a boolit was intended to allow seating the boolit into an as-fired case, by hand, without the boolit dropping inside the case. This is to facilitate reloading cartridges at the bench without a press; only depriming and repriming tools, and a means of measuring powder are required. Sounds like a bench rest thing; I don't see much use for it outside the realm of putting maximum rounds through minimum holes.

billyb
12-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Quite a few years back I was in the shop of Sam Lair a custom rifle maker in Jenks Okla. He took a new rifle case,in this case a 222. He turned the neck from the mouth down to about two thirds of the out side of the case. It was turned down enough that it had a small step on the out side of the case. He then loaded the case and fire formed the round. After fireing the case had a step on the inside of the case. He could then decap and prime, charge the case and slide a bullet into the case by hand. The rifles he made were very high precision bench rest guns. Bill

mdevlin53
12-11-2012, 12:42 PM
On my 8.15x46 rifle the chamber has a step in it where the throat begins. The rifle will shoot standard cases but prefers the stopring boolits. these are usually made from a soft allow like 20-1. The ring folds over into the first grease ring on firing. This design was used in schuetzen rifles and is about halfway between breech seating and fixed amunition. Back in the day the shooters had a capper decapping tool and would shoot a round decap it recap use the powder from a small silk bag with pre-measured loads and thumb seat a boolit to the ring. Some shooters may have used a single case for the whole competition.
Over at ASSRA there have been several threads on these kinds of boolits.

mdi
12-11-2012, 12:50 PM
I Googled "stop ring rifle cartridge" (without quotes) and came up with a reference indicating that a stop ring on a boolit was intended to allow seating the boolit into an as-fired case, by hand, without the boolit dropping inside the case. This is to facilitate reloading cartridges at the bench without a press; only depriming and repriming tools, and a means of measuring powder are required. Sounds like a bench rest thing; I don't see much use for it outside the realm of putting maximum rounds through minimum holes.
A cannalure on the case ala .38 Special?

I'll Make Mine
12-11-2012, 05:41 PM
A cannalure on the case ala .38 Special?

No, an oversize ring on the boolit, like a driving band that's .020 or .030 oversize -- used instead of a cannelure, since reuse of a single case without sizing or other processing would quickly iron out any cannelure. As noted above, it'd work best if made thin enough to fold back into the first lube groove.