PDA

View Full Version : Organ pipe lead

Humbo
12-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi,
last week I bought a German Mauser from an elderly gentleman close to where I live. He used to be an organ repair man, and has lots of full cases with discarded pipes. He said they're at least 50% tin, and for starters he gave me about 130 lbs of the stuff. I melted it down, and by the looks of it, it sure looks rich in tin. It has that golden hue, it's not as evident as when melting down pure tin but still. This stuff is also pretty darn hard, with a BHN at around 22-23, measured with a Cabine Tree tester. So I'm thinking it must also be rich in antimony. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of alloy? I'm going to try to find someone who can analyze it, but it sure isn't easy around my parts, so any input is welcome.
Thanks!

S&W-629
12-10-2012, 04:13 PM
thare is a member on here that that you can send it to him and he will tast it for you.all you have to do is send a OZ or less if i remember right

sargenv
12-10-2012, 06:54 PM
I bought some organ tube lead some years back, there were two different types.. one was 91% lead, 9% tin, the other was 82% lead, 18% tin.. I'd contact that gent on here and get it analyzed..

smokemjoe
12-10-2012, 08:29 PM
I bought a pile of it one time from a junk yard in Liberal Ks. years back, Brothern in law worked at Gas company there and tested it at 25 % tin.

I'll Make Mine
12-10-2012, 09:52 PM
If you're sure it's only lead and tin, a very careful specific gravity measurement should tell you all you need to know.

popper
12-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Gear knows about it.

runfiverun
12-11-2012, 03:51 AM
airc they used all kinds of tin/lead mixes all the way to pure tin for the different pipes to make the different notes, the smaller the pipe the higher the note the higher the tin content.
i think gear done a ton of research on the pipes and such a year or so ago.

Humbo
12-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was thinking, if this was a mix of lead and tin only, shouldn't it be softer? It seemed mighty hard for a lead-tin alloy.

I'll Make Mine
12-12-2012, 09:20 PM
If it's 9% tin, it'll be quite a bit harder than pure lead; if it's 18% tin, it'll be a LOT harder than pure lead. No, tin doesn't harden lead as efficiently (by percentage or cost) as antimony, but it does harden lead...