PDA

View Full Version : Reaming a rifle throat

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Never attempted this, a few questions.
I have a Handi rifle in 7mm-08. it has hardly any throat, about .100' long.
The barrel dimensions are .279 bore and .285 groove. I'm interested in
reaming the throat or having it reamed to give me some latitude in shooting cast.
I see 7mm reamers for sale /rent, my question is are they all going to be the
same throat dimensions? By the barrel numbers above, I need something bigger than
.284 and then to find a nice fat boolit mold to fit the oversize dimensions as well.

Is my thinking here correct? Are reamers available in various sizes or is it going to require
someone to make one?

Oh, one more thing, does the reamer put the taper back that leads into the grooves?

abob
12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
I would think your best bet for correct info is go right to the reamer people like Pacific Tool and Gauge for the answer. Try Email, or phone either start or end of work day.
I would possibly like to try extending a chamber throat on a 45-70 for paper patch. Please post your answer for everyone to follow....thx Bob.

MBTcustom
12-10-2012, 02:28 PM
A normal chamber reamer is going to give you exactly what you have there.
A normal throating reamer (which is available to rent) will give you a .285 freebore and a tapered lead to the rifling, very similar to the angle you already have.
This is close enough for most aplications. Just ream the throat to the depth you are after, and then hone in the remainder with a brass rod and clover leaf lapping compound.
Just be sure to make or buy some stops for your reamer and your hone. You dont want to go too deep with the reamer, and it is very easy to do, and you don't want your hone to get into the lands and smear them over.
You need to have some cerosafe chamber casting alloy on hand so that you know what you have done.
Another option is to use bore-riding boolits, but this makes Lovern style boolits unusable.

Skipper
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
http://4-dproducts.com/displayitem.php?rowid=355&tname=rental

They waive the deposit if you pay by credit card

Nobade
12-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Actually .100" parallel throat is quite a bit. Whether the throater will clean that up or not depends on what diameter it is already. Most 7mm throaters cut to .2845" to .285" and have variously a 2 deg. or 1.5 deg. leade angle on them. You just run them in until the throat is as long as you want.

Before you go cutting on the barrel, decide what boolit you want to shoot. Load up some dummy rounds seated to the depth you want them and let that determine how much to cut.

Personally if I had a 7mm-08 with .100" of parallel I would shoot either a RCBS or SAECO bore rider boolit seated out a bit to fill the throat and be done with it. It'll probably shoot really well.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-10-2012, 07:58 PM
The trouble with this rifle is the bore is oversize at .279. Most bore rider designs are too small for it.
I have the 7mm Lovern group buy mold on order (in the buy) looking at the cartoon it should work.
I'm not doing anything to the barrel until the mold gets here and see how it fits.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/1111-154286407150GrFN.jpg

I should PM Swede and see about this. I have it ordered for .288 and was hoping
the bore rider would come it .002 bigger as well.
that would make this boolit fit my *** Handi rifle :)

flounderman
12-10-2012, 10:02 PM
try paper patching.

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-11-2012, 02:45 AM
try paper patching.

Thats another option I'm studying too.

HARRYMPOPE
12-11-2012, 03:05 AM
my 30 BR throats are cut with a .3095 x 1.5 deg. throater. The .3095 cylindrical section runs out .100.It shoots 2 diameter bullets well and Loverins decent.I think its great for a target gun(or your single shot) to have a parallel section that long but for gun to be fed by the magazine about 1/2 that would be fine.But Loverins are typically not the most accurate bullet when going for super small groups IMHO.I do not believe any Cast Bullet Association records have been set with Loverins in 20 years.All are tapered or two diameter.

.277 is the most common bore dia for the 7mm's i have played with.Your barrel seems big.

argie1891
12-11-2012, 05:10 AM
in a single shot you can seat the bullet out a bit if it has a long throat. i think that handi rifles have a abrupt throat without much taper. i would throat the barrel with a 1 degree to 1.5 degree reamer. i have a handi rifle in 357 mag and am going to run a reamer in it soon. i have the reamer just havent gotten around to it yet. remember you will take off just a very small amount of steel when reaming it is easy to get a throat way to long as you wont think enough has been taken off. argie1891

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-11-2012, 07:04 PM
my 30 BR throats are cut with a .3095 x 1.5 deg. throater. The .3095 cylindrical section runs out .100.It shoots 2 diameter bullets well and Loverins decent.I think its great for a target gun(or your single shot) to have a parallel section that long but for gun to be fed by the magazine about 1/2 that would be fine.But Loverins are typically not the most accurate bullet when going for super small groups IMHO.I do not believe any Cast Bullet Association records have been set with Loverins in 20 years.All are tapered or two diameter.

.277 is the most common bore dia for the 7mm's i have played with.Your barrel seems big.

My barrel is very big.
Swede says the nose on the bullet above is larger, so I'm hoping it shoots OK.
I was mainly thinking of throating to set the boolit out further. The 7mm-08
has a very short case neck. My 280 and 7.65x53 like the boolit base at the base of the neck.
But, I haven't yet had a boolit to try that actually fits this big barrel.

I'm not after competition accuracy, 2"-2-1/2" at 200 yards would make me happy with this one banger