PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used Star luber?

A pause for the COZ
12-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Any one know any place to buy a used Start Luber that takes credit cards? Ebay is not the place. Wow!!!

rbertalotto
12-10-2012, 04:33 PM
I've yet to see a used Star go for anything much less than what a nice shiny new one would cost. With some thing in life, there is nothing like new. And a STAR with "air assist" is one of the joys of living!

Get your sizing dies from Chris at Lathesmith right here on this forum.

HATCH
12-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Plastic = direct from magma

sent from my mobile.

HATCH
12-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Forgot you could use a credit card via paypal if you find a used one.

sent from my mobile.

garym1a2
12-10-2012, 05:48 PM
you can buy a new one from the price the use ones tend to go for. Plus they take plastic and machine will be in "NEW" condition.

cbrick
12-10-2012, 07:01 PM
There is no place that I've ever heard of that even could keep in stock used Star's. Ya see one every once in a while for sale used, estate sales and such. I bought my first one used and it took another 20 years to find the second in a condition/price that I'd buy it.

Mine won't be in the estate sale once I'm gone . . . I'm taking them with me. :mrgreen:

Rick

boltons75
12-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Not to long ago I was able to pick up a star off the bay for 200.00, with a sizer die and punch. Just have to keep watching, on will pop up. You see some good deals on the swapping page occasionally too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

A pause for the COZ
12-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks guys.. Thats kinda what I was thinking. Since I found my 45 acp volume has picked up a lot. Just watching how that star works there is at least a 75% gain in volume, if not more compared to a LAM.
Generally it is push it in, Raise it, turn it 80 deg, Push it in again, Then whipe the lube off the base.

I had bid on a few on Evil Bay. But when old ones end up going for 10 bucks less than new. Well I aint that dumb.

So I guess I will just bite the Bullet ( pun) and order a new one.
Most likely I will find the used treasure after I get the new one. Always do.
But at least I can unload it on Ebay....

gmsharps
12-11-2012, 02:06 AM
Once you have used one you will wonder why it took so long to make the decesion. They are nice. It seems that most Star owners own more than one. In my case I have 3 and have different lube in each one. Changing types of lube can be a pain. After I got my first Star it was a good 10 yrs later that I found the next two fairly close together in time. One was broken and said it was only good for parts and I was able to get it cheap. A day or so later after some welding and boiling it out I had a good working machine. Patience is all I can say and when the opportunity knocks don't wait to long. I have seen then on this forum go in less than 1 minute.
Good luck
gmsharps

Oreo
12-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Other then estate sales the only price effective way to buy used is to keep your eye on this forum's classified section. They come up for sale regularly if not real frequently. The hard part is seeing the listing before someone else buys it. If you can check several times a day on a smartphone you'll get your chance eventually. The price still won't be real low but it'll be just enough discount to justify buying used.

HATCH
12-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Remember when buying used to factor in the cost of sizer dies if it comes with any.
New ones don't come with any.
So add $25 for each one.

Magma stopped including molds or dies with their equipment so they could keep their cost lower. Or that's what they told me.

sent from my mobile.

Stillwater
12-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Some of you posters are going to hate me for saying this. The last time I posted about Star Lubrisizers here, I had seven of these animals. Now the count is up to eleven; for reasons that make sense to me.

Some of my Star lubrisizers have the same sizing die and punch in them, but contain different lubes. I use different lubes for different types of shooting and different times of the year in Southern California.

I have bought several Star lubrisizers off of ebay. I think a nearly new appearing Star lubrisizer, with sizing die and punch, should go for around $225.00. That doesn't seem to be the situation any more. There is a nearly new appearing Star Lubrisizer, that has had the price bid up to $280.00, with over a day left to go.

There is another Star lubrisizer, on ebay, that is really ratty and rusty, that has been bid up to $175.00, the last time I checked. There is another nearly new looking Star lubrisizer (from looking at the pictures) that has been bid up to $280.00. That is ridiculous. There is still over a day left to bid on this tool.

There is an ancient Star lubrisizer, on ebay, that is also bid up to $175.00, or was the last time I checked on it.

I have an old Star lubrisizer that I have had for over forty years, myself, It was old when I got it. This Star had the lower part of the casting become cracked. I sent it back to Star when they were still open for business, and they welded the crack and it still does the job that Star lubrisizers do the best.

I'm going to take this ancient Star and another old Star that I have and convert them to Pneumatic operation, with air pressure lube feed. They already have Magma bullet feeders and lube heaters on them. In fact all of my Star lubrisizers have bullet feeders and heaters on them. Bullet feeders and bullet lubricant heaters are another thing to factor into the price of a lubrisizer, when you buy one, regardless of whether it is Star or not.

All of the prices on anything built by Star, are rapidly increasing. I just saw a .44 caliber star universal progressive reloading tool sell for $1435.00 on ebay. Another one in 9MM sold for $901.00 and another in .38 special sold for $800.00. So, it seems Star tools are becoming more collectible and higher priced as time continues.

I have six Star Universal Progressive reloading tools as of now. And, I am looking for at least three more Star Universals. I want to load .32-20, .38-40 and .44-40. I know that doing that will take pricy custom dies and shell plates. I have a Star already converted to .45 Colt with custom dies and shellplate (there is no such thing as a Long Colt cartridge) and I may try to add another caliber to the mix.

In case you're wondering, custom made Star reloading dies are $260.00 and a custom made shell plate is $125.00, from a custom die maker. There is one maker out there that is really good making these products.

If you yearn for Star Universal progressive reloading tool, learn the difference between the older progressive tool and the upgraded Universal progressive tool before you buy. The progressive tool cannot be converted to other calibers, while the Universal progressive can easily be converted.

The older Star progressive tools are still great reloading tools. But, they are only available on one caliber each, usually .38 Special and .45 ACP.

Bill

boltons75
12-12-2012, 09:38 PM
An old one with a die and top punch just sold for 182 on the bay.....

A pause for the COZ
12-13-2012, 12:38 AM
An old one with a die and top punch just sold for 182 on the bay.....

Ummmmm. That was me :-) More than i wanted to pay for a used one. But they go for what they go for.

So yes I can quit lookin. I hope that die and punch are for .452 if not I guess our resident die turner is going to get another customer.
The 4 cavity 45 acp mold showed up today. So I should have a supply of bullets ready when the star gets here.

boltons75
12-13-2012, 02:05 AM
Glad you got one, mine was about 20 bucks more. It looks to be in decent shape too. Welcome to the club. Lathesmith has my order now.

cbrick
12-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Good for you, you'll no doubt be a happy camper.

Especially after you put the air cylinder on it. :mrgreen:

Rick

dragonrider
12-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Glad you found one, you gonna love it.

A pause for the COZ
12-16-2012, 02:55 AM
My star got here today. No .452 die in it, I have a die on order. It did come with a .357 die and punch. So I can at least familiarize myself with it.
1st impression.......;)
Yea its nice.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8638.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8639.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8640.jpg

boltons75
12-16-2012, 12:01 PM
My star got here today. No .452 die in it, I have a die on order. It did come with a .357 die and punch. So I can at least familiarize myself with it.
1st impression.......;)
Yea its nice.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8638.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8639.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8640.jpg

So are you in the same boat as me, what to do with that rcbs lam now. Mine is sitting on a shelf until I decide I don't need it anymore..

Sent from my Samsung, (Apples are meant to be eaten), Galaxy S3...

A pause for the COZ
12-16-2012, 01:16 PM
I will still use the LAM, I still do lots and lots of different rifle calibers. So it will have a job.
it is my Ideal #1 lube sizer that may be out of a job. That one was my dedicated 45acp lubber.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8182.jpg

Oh heck I am sure I can find some thing for it to do. I know!!! I will set it up for my 30-30 plinking loads.
I already have a Lyman Tru-Line jr with 310 dies set up just for that load. Seems kinda fitting to use a old sizer for it.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8466.jpg

Hank10
01-10-2013, 02:27 PM
APFTC, mine's just like yours. Bought it at a gunshow for $50 with 3 dies, .358,429 &452 but mainly use it in .358 when I cast a bunch in a 10 cav. H&G 158 SWC. I mounted mine on a square of 2x4 and put it in a vice on about a 45 degree angle, putting the bullets in left handed and with a straight line down with the handle I can punch them thru very fast. I have 6 other lube-sizers for other sizes. H10

barrybrice
01-17-2013, 10:33 PM
I took the plunge today. Nice folks over there at Magama. They said I was like number 18th in line and should have it in about four weeks. I can't wait!

VHoward
01-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Just to give you a little hope. When I ordered mine last year, they told me it would be a month. But I received it in 10 days. Mind you, it could still be 1 month. :-)

gbrown
01-23-2013, 06:38 PM
I got my 2 dirt cheap from a guy who didn't know what to do with them.[smilie=1: He was a gun dealer/gunsmith. ???? There is one on ebay right now going for $295.00 with 2 sizers. Title says: Vintage. Mine are older than that one. I'm watching that one and another that is brand new to see which one sells for the most. Magma is selling theirs for 295 or 297. The people on ebay just slay me. LOL Good Grief! As old Charlie Brown would say. Buy the shiny new stuff. I've dealt with the people at Magma on more than one occasion. Very nice and user friendly. Also, Lathesmith here turns out some pretty stuff. Have 2 of his and plan on getting more.

HATCH
01-24-2013, 06:45 AM
I spoke to magma yesterday and she said there are 22 people waiting on the bullet master. That is their automated bullet maker.

mongoosesnipe
01-24-2013, 03:16 PM
I watched that vintage on go on ebay there is a rather new one on ebay right now with a 452 die and removal to 4 stick of lube and a home made air driven pressure set up I figure it will go well over 300 one may as well buy them new for the price the go for used....

crawfobj
01-24-2013, 05:47 PM
There were 2 that went on eBay for well over 400 with 7 or 8 sizing dies and punches. The used ones are high, but you have to factor in the cost of the sizing dies and accessories that come with them. I'd take a used one if the price was reasonable given the accessories. I look at it from a total cost to get up and running. The used ones might still be a good option even if the cost is more than a new but bare sizer.