PDA

View Full Version : That's what I call hard core.

Catshooter
12-10-2012, 11:04 AM
It's eight AM on this Tuesday morning. I just heard a Harley start up and drive off.

It's eleven and a half degrees outside. :shock:

I think I'll go back to bed.

Cat

cbrick
12-10-2012, 11:11 AM
He probably bought it in August as his only source of transportation giving no thought at all to what he would do in January. I wonder what he will do when 11 degrees sounds good? :shock:

Rick

oneokie
12-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Are you West of the International Date Line this morning?

captain-03
12-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Are you West of the International Date Line this morning?

I was beginning to think the same thing -- or - did I lose a day somewhere!!

Catshooter
12-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Ha! It's not Tuesday, it's Monday. See, that's what can happen when you're retired.

I knew I was up too early. Eight o'clock in the morning for crying out loud!

Cat

bob208
12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
i am retired too. but i still lost days when i was working. i always told them i went metric.

riding in to cold is not too bad if you have the clothes for it. i would rather ride and be cold then walk and be cold.

Bulldogger
12-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I ride in weather >38 degrees Fahrenheit and more or less dry. I don't have a windscreen or heater leathers either, but my commute is only 8 miles or so.

My hat's off (figuratively, it's too cold out to actually do it) to that guy if he's riding in 11 degrees.

Bulldogger

Doc Highwall
12-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I am retired too and have to think what day it is also.

mold maker
12-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Back in the day, I road year round, but it was much nicer Spring and Fall. I could put on enough to stay warm, but that helmet was an oven in Summer heat.

farmallcrew
12-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Heatwave, 3 degrees warmer than last hour.

km101
12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure if that's hardcore, desperate, or just plain dumb, but I sure dont want to ride in weather like that!

cbrick
12-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Heatwave, 3 degrees warmer than last hour.

Damn global warming. Proof it must be real and humans (only American) are causing it. :shock:

Rick

popper
12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Just wait till he finds someone left their yard sprinklers on last nite.

41 mag fan
12-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Bet he wouldn't be riding let alone starting up that bike if you'd of gotten the snowfall Minneapolis got.

starmac
12-10-2012, 02:51 PM
It is all cool until he has to chain up. lol
I used to ride in some pretty nasty weather, and won't anymore. I will run the fourwheeler or snow machine in sub zero temps though, so I guess it is just in ones perspective. lol

gwpercle
12-10-2012, 02:53 PM
I remember when I was young, foolish and my only form of transpotation was a motorcycle. Had a rain suit , an insulated jump suit, ski mittens and didn't think twice about riding any where in any weather. Of course back then winters weren't as cold and rain wasn't as wet as they are now.....or so it seems. Ah those were the days.

gary

runfiverun
12-10-2012, 04:18 PM
i couldn't get the mustang out of the driveway if i wanted to.
i can't imagine riding a bike.
the rocks and sand on the main roads alone would be enough to blast your face off.

Olevern
12-10-2012, 04:27 PM
My bike's in the garage for the winter. When my testostarone levels started dropping, I gained a couple of points of I.Q.

GRid.1569
12-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Gave up bikin' when I discovered cars have heaters..... Ahhh....

rr2241tx
12-10-2012, 04:48 PM
I used to work with a guy who put knobbies with sheetmetal screws in the knobs on his Goldwing so he could ride to work when the roads were too slick for cars without chains. He could ride on ice most people couldn't walk on. I was good to go in the cold but as soon as there was snow and ice the motorcycle got a vacation. Down here in Texas, if it is even possible it might snow, school is cancelled for a week just in case.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-10-2012, 05:17 PM
I have a friend that still hasn't developed any sense and still rides his Suzuki 1500 30+ miles to work most everyday and takes a tour of the state most weekends. He's logged over 200,000 miles on that bike.

Tracy
12-10-2012, 05:30 PM
I used to work with a guy who put knobbies with sheetmetal screws in the knobs on his Goldwing so he could ride to work when the roads were too slick for cars without chains. He could ride on ice most people couldn't walk on.

Did he have hobnailed boots, too? Seems like stops could be a little too challenging without them.

starmac
12-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Did he have hobnailed boots, too? Seems like stops could be a little too challenging without them.

You can actually stop and sit there for a reasonable amount of time without putting your feet down. lol

41 mag fan
12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
You can actually stop and sit there for a reasonable amount of time without putting your feet down. lol

I tried that one time and it didn't work. Of course, that fifth of Jim Beam probably didn't help much either!

L Ross
12-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Coldest I ever rode was for a December Packer game when we had no snow but was 0 degrees farenheit out. The worst part was having to be in uniform with steel toed Harley boots. At least the riding breeches were real wool. When I finally got in the locker room back at the station the tile floor felt like fire on my way to a hot shower.

Duke

bob208
12-11-2012, 08:58 AM
winter is why you put a side car on. that way you just spin around on the ice and not fall down.
the germans had the best side car for winter. the wheel on the side car hooked in to the rear wheel drive. so both wheels drove the bike and side car. the russians took the whole factory home at the end of the war. they still make them.

dragonrider
12-11-2012, 11:57 AM
I use to ride my Sportster all year, but only on the good days in the winter. What I remember about riding in the cold is that it felt SO GOOD whey you stopped.

montana_charlie
12-11-2012, 12:34 PM
We lived in Kansas City, Missouri when I was a junior in high school.
We lived almost three miles from the school.
On cold mornings, I would listen to the radio while eating breakfast to learn the temperature.

If it was colder than 4 degrees, I would get moving early enough to walk to school because it needed to be at least 5 degrees to start my Cushman Pacemaker motor scooter.

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/1958-cushman-eagle-and-pacemaker-6.jpg

Doc_Stihl
12-11-2012, 01:09 PM
There's a guy at work who rides his harley almost year round here. If it's clear he's riding.
TO SAVE GAS MONEY.
I watched him leave one day and cross the thick coating of sand in the middle of the road and thought, jeez, after the insurance deductible, the pain and soffering and the time out, I wonder how much money you're really saving if you dump your bike in the sand to save it.

JeffinNZ
12-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Do they normally not start in the cold......:veryconfu

Dean D.
12-11-2012, 02:18 PM
All the Cushman scooters I was ever around were cantankerous to start in any weather, let alone cold. :coffee:

rr2241tx
12-11-2012, 03:18 PM

Actually, if you do it right, there is almost no lateral force on your foot while stopped. The bike is basically balanced and your toe just lets you know if you start to lean off center. When you ride a motorcycle with a high center of gravity that outweighs you by a factor of 4 you learn a lot about motorcycle riding that has nothing to do with the way most Harleys are ridden. My favorite streetbikers used to be the Japanese kids who rode the tall liter bikes of the late 1980s and could not reach the ground. They'd ride up to a stop, snick it into neutral and kick down the side stand. When the light would change, they had to get the stand up before shifting into gear or the interlock would kill the engine. Don't even think you have skills unless you own and ride a Bultaco trials bike. I'm not even sure why those guys have feet, they never use them.

montana_charlie
12-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Don't even think you have skills unless you own and ride a Bultaco trials bike. I'm not even sure why those guys have feet, they never use them.
They have feet so they can stand on the pegs ... because they never sit down.

CM

ROGER4314
12-11-2012, 11:01 PM
I rode year round for many years and had my cars on "recreational use only" insurance. Now that I'm retired, I can ride anytime and it works great! In Texas winters, the mornings and evenings are cold but the afternoon warms up. Since I don't work, that's when I ride.

Cushman....
Thanks for posting the picture. My friend, Mark had one just like that and I started riding back seat with him at 13. At 17, I bought my first bike (a Triumph) and 49 years with 30 bikes later, I'm still riding!

Flash

bootsnthejeep
12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
My coworker rides his Ural to work every day. Rain or shine. It is his only vehicle currently, his wife gets the car. :) Watching him gear up for the ride home nowadays, I always joke it looks like the getting-ready-for-school scene in A Christmas Story.

But the best part is when he rides it over to the snowmobile club meetings, and everybody looks at him like he's crazy. "Geez, little cold out for a motorcycle, isn't it?" "Isn't this a SNOWMOBILE CLUB?"