PDA

View Full Version : *** U ME and a Kar88

KCSO
12-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Never assume, but I did and it bit me right in the rear. I picked up another Kar88 recently and it had a really nice bore so i thought it would be no problem shooting it. My last Kar was one of the most accurate cast bullet guns I owned shooting under 3" with iron sights all the time at 100 yards so...

I went to the mould drawer and lo and behold I loaned out my 8MM mould so I ordered another from Lee. I slugged the bore of the rifle at the breech and the muzzle and came up with .323 and I assumed that I measured wrong as we all know the 88's are really 321 right. So when the mould came in i cast up 200 bullets so I wouldn't run short. Then I loaded up a couple and shot the gun and the bullets hit sideways! So I got out my Starrett and miked agaiin, the bore WAS 323 and the new Lee Mould dropped bullets at 321 on the nose. and the Lee sizing die sized the gas checks only to just 322. I grabbed a couple Lee 208 329's that really measure 328 and sized them in another die to 324 and the rifle shoots. And now thanks to assume I have 200 snot lubed bullets the put away for my fat 303 and I get to start at the get go with the KAR.

Maybe after another 40 years or so I will learn!

swheeler
12-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Listing Description

Mauser Commission 88 8mm (7.92 x 57mm) Barrel

This is an original Mauser Commission 88 8mm steel step down taper barrel, in the white, with proof marks and codes. The overall length measures approximately 29 1/8".

It is new, in cosmoline, but older stock and may have some outside surface wear from prolonged storage, which can easily be polished out. The bore diameter of the few of the barrels we measured ranges from 0.319" to 0.325". Please note: We cannot sort specific markings and bore size.

Additional notes about this item's condition: click here.

Thank You For Visiting Our Store!