PDA

View Full Version : A little curious as to whats causing this

41 mag fan
12-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Ok, sitting in the reloading room today I decided to do some playing around.
I've got a new Metro Arms American Classic Commander, and i've been fiddling with loads of different casts. I noticed some marks on my casts maybe someone can shed some light on whats going on and any quick fixes for it. I have an idea on whats going on, so here goes.

This cast is Lees 452-228-1R. I've got these at an OAL of 1.245. With this one, I'm thinking it's hitting the bottom of the chamber as it goes up the feed ramp
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/91msd92/Photo12091707.jpg

This is the NOE 454-230gr cast. OAL is 1.245. On this one I think as it slides into the chamber it's hitting the barrel hood.
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/91msd92/Photo12091702.jpg

None of this will really affect anything, but being laid up with my knee right now, I have nothing else better to do than play around till my jig for cutting 300 AAC cases comes in tomorrow. :smile:

So I figured i'd see what everyones got to say about whats going on during the cycling

KYCaster
12-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Second pic, most likely from hitting the feed ramp.

First pic.....not sure.......if that was caused by the feed ramp or the barrel I'd expect the mark to be parallel to the case mouth.

Take a sharpie and mark the brass on the top as it sits in the magazine. Chamber the round and see where the scuffs are in relation to the mark on the brass. If the scuff on the nose is lined up with the mark then its from the top of the chamber, if 180* from the mark then it's from the feed ramp.

The scratch just above the case mouth may be from the sharp edge at the bottom of the chamber, but if that's the case it should be parallel to the case mouth. The mark on the brass will give you a clue. If it's 180* from the mark then a very little bit of judicious polishing to remove the sharp edge on the bottom of the chamber may be the cure.

If it's 90* to left of the mark then the slide stop would be the place to look. If this is the case I'd expect the slide to lock back before the magazine is empty.

Go slow and make sure you know where the problem is before you start removing metal.......and leave the Dremel tool in the drawer. [smilie=1:

Jerry

454PB
12-10-2012, 12:30 AM
In the first picture of the Lee boolit, I don't know what made the mark, but I do know that boolit has to be seated deeply in order to feed and chamber properly.

MtGun44
12-10-2012, 12:48 AM
second is feed ramp, entirely normal. First may be too long LOA, esp if marks all around.

Bill

Love Life
12-10-2012, 01:28 AM
I had to seat much deeper than that for that boolit to chamber in my Kimber TLE II. I found the RCBS RN to be a much better design. Try seating deeper, and change powder charge as needed.

nwellons
12-10-2012, 08:37 AM
I use that boolit with no problems in my 1916 Colt and new Remington M1911s. I seat it at 1.210 OAL.

41 mag fan
12-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Second pic, most likely from hitting the feed ramp.

First pic.....not sure.......if that was caused by the feed ramp or the barrel I'd expect the mark to be parallel to the case mouth.

Take a sharpie and mark the brass on the top as it sits in the magazine. Chamber the round and see where the scuffs are in relation to the mark on the brass. If the scuff on the nose is lined up with the mark then its from the top of the chamber, if 180* from the mark then it's from the feed ramp.

The scratch just above the case mouth may be from the sharp edge at the bottom of the chamber, but if that's the case it should be parallel to the case mouth. The mark on the brass will give you a clue. If it's 180* from the mark then a very little bit of judicious polishing to remove the sharp edge on the bottom of the chamber may be the cure.

If it's 90* to left of the mark then the slide stop would be the place to look. If this is the case I'd expect the slide to lock back before the magazine is empty.

Go slow and make sure you know where the problem is before you start removing metal.......and leave the Dremel tool in the drawer. [smilie=1:

Jerry

Jerry,
thats what i basically did with the 2nd one I found like that, except all I did was to rotate and put the mark on top of mag and chambered it. It was on the 180* mark. I might try dropping the OAL some and see how that does.
Guaranteed dremel doesn't start up on any of this!!

41 mag fan
12-10-2012, 08:39 AM
I use that boolit with no problems in my 1916 Colt and new Remington M1911s. I seat it at 1.210 OAL.

Thats what i'm thinking i'll try and see how it does. Thanks for posting the OAL you use it at

41 mag fan
12-10-2012, 03:12 PM
I got out there this morning fiddling with it again and dropped the OAL to 1.220. What i got on 2 that i tried was the crease on the brass now. Brass is actually below trim to length.
Any ideas beyond polishing the chamber where it leaves the feed ramp?
Curiousity kills the cat so they say!

Love Life
12-10-2012, 10:08 PM
try a different boolit or sell the gun...

MtGun44
12-10-2012, 11:06 PM
No idea, never saw this particular issue. Is the barrel overhanging the frame at the bottom
or is the roll over from the feed ramp to the bbl sharp? This is very odd.

Bill

coloraydo
12-10-2012, 11:22 PM
I got out there this morning fiddling with it again and dropped the OAL to 1.220. What i got on 2 that i tried was the crease on the brass now. Brass is actually below trim to length.
Any ideas beyond polishing the chamber where it leaves the feed ramp?
Curiousity kills the cat so they say!

Hey 41 mag fan,
Just curious what you are sizing these boolits to? I ran into the same issue in my Springfield 1911A1 and a Ruger P345 sizing to .453 in several different molds, Lee SWC and 452460, and even Miha's clone of HG #68, until I got a sizer @ .451.

Now everything is running MUCH smoother. Seems like the narrower nose profile required the smaller sizer to function correctly, at least in these two guns. A true HG #68 sized to .453 runs like a house on fire.
Go figure.

Anyway, just something to ponder.

41 mag fan
12-11-2012, 09:55 AM
No idea, never saw this particular issue. Is the barrel overhanging the frame at the bottom
or is the roll over from the feed ramp to the bbl sharp? This is very odd.

Bill

Bill,
I'm thinking the rollover might be the culprit. I did notice the barrel is sharp tho. Take a look at the pics i've included

try a different boolit or sell the gun... Love Life, If I didn't think the grips were pretty I would!! But I don't sell guns, did that just a month ago, traded my Kimber grand Raptor for a CMMG 300 AAC, first time in over 20 yrs i did that. I wont do that ever again, I felt guilty after trading.

Hey 41 mag fan,
Just curious what you are sizing these boolits to? I ran into the same issue in my Springfield 1911A1 and a Ruger P345 sizing to .453 in several different molds, Lee SWC and 452460, and even Miha's clone of HG #68, until I got a sizer @ .451.

Now everything is running MUCH smoother. Seems like the narrower nose profile required the smaller sizer to function correctly, at least in these two guns. A true HG #68 sized to .453 runs like a house on fire.
Go figure.

Anyway, just something to ponder.

No I'm sizing them to .451. Barrel slugged out at .450 to .4505.

On these pics, I made a mark on the brass where the first time it showed up on the brass. I used a marker and made it all around the brass and cast. I placed a mark where the brass had been hit the first time, so it was up on top in the mag. When I cycled it, theres a mark 180* on the other side. As you can see the brass and boolit has been hit and markers been removed. It hit also right on the case mouth on this one this time

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/91msd92/Photo12110736.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/91msd92/Photo12110737.jpg

thegatman
12-11-2012, 12:25 PM
I have a Metro Classic full size. My bullets are .451 and feed great with no problems. Maybe you should try a truncated bullet?

41 mag fan
12-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I have a Metro Classic full size. My bullets are .451 and feed great with no problems. Maybe you should try a truncated bullet?

It feeds ok, I just got to tinkering with it, since i'm laid up waiting to have surgery again, and found it doing this.

45FP
12-11-2012, 08:05 PM
It looks like that could be caused by the front of the magazine, maybe the follower isn't angled enough or the mag is just a little out of spec. or springs not strong enough. worth a check there before any grinding starts. good luck!

41 mag fan
12-11-2012, 08:16 PM
It looks like that could be caused by the front of the magazine, maybe the follower isn't angled enough or the mag is just a little out of spec. or springs not strong enough. worth a check there before any grinding starts. good luck!

Hmmm..think I'll go try a different mag and see what happens.

markinalpine
12-11-2012, 10:09 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere, maybe on this board, that the Lee 452-228-1R was developed for cap and ball and also centerfire revolvers. The nose shape is rounder.
I have little trouble with a 1911A1 feeding the 452-200-RF, both TL and regular 452-230-TC, and the TL-452-230-2R.
Good luck,
Mark [smilie=s:

41 mag fan
12-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Tried a different mag last night and still didn't have any luck. There was still marks on the brass and boolit

I seem to recall reading somewhere, maybe on this board, that the Lee 452-228-1R was developed for cap and ball and also centerfire revolvers. The nose shape is rounder.
I have little trouble with a 1911A1 feeding the 452-200-RF, both TL and regular 452-230-TC, and the TL-452-230-2R.
Good luck,
Mark [smilie=s:

Thats interesting Mark. I'll have to do some research on it.