PDA

View Full Version : Foster bullet puller

GOPHER SLAYER
12-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Anyone here ever use one of these things? When I turn the handle the entire cartridge turns in the shell holder and the handle on the loading press starts to rise. I have never been able to pull a bullet with it. I am just about ready to put it on the block.

trying2learn
12-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I have used one. It is rather difficult. However once I fugured it out the rest of what I had to pull a few months back went rather quick. I see why people like the hornady brand more though. I find it rwally hard to get just the bullet and not the case in it also.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

adrians
12-10-2012, 06:59 PM
yup, and i agree they are a PITA to use, sometimes i can get it set just right ---- great,
BUT most times i can't.
Mine sits on the shelf and when i need to pull some boolits I'll go with a Kinetic "hammer" or my press and a pair of vise grips.
Take care.....

trying2learn
12-10-2012, 07:33 PM
I have heard that the cam lock one is so much easier to use as the depth is easier to set and much more forgiving. I might get one one day. Just not anytime near.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

farmallcrew
12-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I have a RCBS collet type puller that is a die, never had real trouble with it. Hammer pullers are very very nice until the stupid collets chip and wear out. PSSSSSSSTTTTTT, i hope someone makes those collets for hammer pullers out of something other than crappy aluminum.

John Boy
12-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Whether it's a Forster - Hornaday or RCBS - MO ... they don't work as efficiently as a kinetic bullet puller. Any of them will not hold a lead bullet tightly to extract it from the case and if it does work - the lead bullet is mangled.

adrians
12-10-2012, 10:26 PM
I have a RCBS collet type puller that is a die, never had real trouble with it. Hammer pullers are very very nice until the stupid collets chip and wear out. PSSSSSSSTTTTTT, i hope someone makes those collets for hammer pullers out of something other than crappy aluminum.

farmallcrew,
an appropriate shell holder will work, instead of those flimsy 3 piece collets. :evil::coffee::evil:

Reloader270
12-11-2012, 11:07 AM
yup, and i agree they are a PITA to use, sometimes i can get it set just right ---- great,
BUT most times i can't.
Mine sits on the shelf and when i need to pull some boolits I'll go with a Kinetic "hammer" or my press and a pair of vise grips.
Take care.....

Also bought one some time ago. The collet did not want to release the bullet. Then figured I have to polish the inside of the die and added some lubricating oil on the inside of the die and on the collet. Took about 10 try's. Then 10/10!!! You just need to polish the die on the inside.

adrians
12-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Reloader270, like you say a good clean and lube works and i've had success in the past with "J's" but only minimal, and as for using it with pb boolits like John Boy said the boolits are mangled.
It's quicker to mangle them the vise grip method [smilie=l:.