PDA

View Full Version : Seeking GC Material

RCE1
12-09-2012, 02:36 PM
I have taken up an interest in .308 and wanted to use gaschecks. Given the recent price increases, I ordered a Freechex III and have been trying to use it. The material sample that came with the tool (.013-.014" strips of aluminum) worked great in my limited testing, but the flashing I bought yesterday is too thin. It's only .011" thick and, although the checks are easy to seat, their fit is a little loose and I can pick some of them off with my fingernail, even after sizing.

I have made a couple of inquiries via email and PM regarding the cut down (1/2" wide?) roll format aluminum occasionally discussed here but have not heard back, so I was wondering where to look. I bought a bunch of H brand GCs, but I'd eventually like to shift over to some I can make in my own shop. Anybody have good contact information regarding this material?

I really like this forum. A lot of helpful and knowledgable postings here. I have done a lot of casting over the years, but mostly pb BPCR and Schuetzen style bullets using custom grade moulds, so the whole small caliber GC thing is a little new.

arjacobson
12-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Use ace hardwares #68104 roll flashing(yellow label) It comes in 4"x50' lengths. .014 thick- About $20 a roll. That is until yonky chimes in with his slit aluminum!!

tjones
12-09-2012, 06:04 PM
yonky is a source of high quality check metal.
tj

Ben
12-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Never go into a hardware store to buy alum. flashing material without your mic.

I've found that the minimum thickness that works well with my .30 cal. cast bullets is .014 " Amerimax.

I tried some .016" and had some trouble getting the check on properly.

It all depends on the shank dia. of your particular bullets.

tjones
12-09-2012, 07:23 PM

I've found that the minimum thickness that works well with my .30 cal. cast bullets is .014 " Amerimax.

Is it fair to assume .014 Amerimax has been fine for your application Ben?

Ben
12-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I could not ask for more ! !

It works great.

Ben

My friend loves to shoot .014 Aluminum .30 cal, Amerimax gas checks in his 1903 Springfield. See his groups in the link below :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?149699-Cast-in-the-1903-Springfield&highlight=

arjacobson
12-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Good tip on the mic!! I once bought a roll of amerimax that was labeled incorrectly. It was .016 and didn't work at all. I have been micing every roll since then.

RCE1
12-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Well, my local ace had a roll of 68104, which followed me home. Made a bunch of successful checks. All is good, although I might just get a few rolls of the precut strip just for convenience sake. I do have enough material to last a while, however, once I get it cut into more manageable sizes. Thanks!

milprileb
12-10-2012, 03:29 PM

This is my experience 100%

yonky
12-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Thing is fellas you don't buy a Ferrari and put the crappiest gas you can find in it do you? So why use crappy metal to feed it?

melter68
12-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Thing is fellas you don't buy a Ferrari and put the crappiest gas you can find in it do you? So why use crappy metal to feed it?

Good job us Brits dont drive Ferrari, so we can buy good gas check material.

Yonks the best material by far, so go for the bees knees of metal drive Yonks

World wide recommended metal.