PDA

View Full Version : Federal NT Brass question

km101
12-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Recently acquired sone Federal NT brass. This is the first I have seen of this "NT" brass. The first thing I noticed is that the primers are crimped in. (PITA!) and then I noticed that the flash hole is larger than standard brass. It seems to be about .020 larger than my other brass!

Has anyone loaded any of this before? Does the larger flash hole make a difference in loads? I would think that the larger flash hole would deliver more fire to the powder much faster, and this would effect burn rate and pressure.

I'm just guessing here. Does anyone have any info/data on this brass? Any help would be appreciated.

:-?

Frosty Boolit
12-09-2012, 03:02 PM
That is brass that as originally loaded as non toxic ammo. Opinions differ as to how you should reload it. I have never treated it any different than any other brass except to ream the primer pocket. Which is in some cases nice because then you know it is once fired.

ReloaderFred
12-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Ken,

They load just like any other .45 acp brass. You didn't mention whether these are large pistol primed, or small pistol primed? They come in both iterations, and they both load just fine. The larger flash hole isn't a problem, and I find no difference over the chronograph or on paper.

Hope this helps.

Fred

km101
12-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys! I forgot to mention that this is .40 S&W, not .45ACP, so it is small primer. So the larger flash hole makes no difference? That is good news. I dont have much money invested, but I have a lot of labor invested, as I am about half finished processing 1,500 cases, and I REALLY dindt want to have to throw them away.

Thanks Fred & Frosty!