PDA

View Full Version : new marlins ?

jetsfan-24
12-09-2012, 01:44 PM
hey guys looking 2 get a few marlin rifle,s i,m geting a 45/70 a 30/30 and a 357 mag all in stainless and maybe lam wood any body know if the new one,s r good i,d like them all in stainless that make,s it harder two find used ones ?

alrighty
12-09-2012, 02:04 PM
There are good new ones, so I am told.All I can say about buying a new Marlin is work the action.Check it to make sure it is smooth.I have also been told to take a bore scope to the gun shop.I have been told some rifles are leaving the factory with a rough bore.If it looks good and feels good I may chance it.There are lots of horror stories on the net about bad guns from the new Marlin.There are also lots of folks that bought good ones.
I searched for over a year to find a pre-Remlin Marlin made 45-70 , good luck and I hope you find some good ones.

TXGunNut
12-09-2012, 09:17 PM
As soon as I find one I like I'll bring it home, not afraid to buy a Remlin if it checks out OK. All I've seen so far is 30-30 and 45-70 and I'm not looking to expand in those areas. Those have been quite good, for the most part.

Jailer
12-09-2012, 09:37 PM
My Remlin 1895 SBL shoots great. Just make sure you check it out in person before buying.

Jeff82
12-10-2012, 10:13 AM
I recently bought an 1894 Carbine. The assembly of finished parts was poor and the action was rough. I knew what I was getting into and planned to spend a few buck making everything right. $350 later I had all the problems worked out. After seven months I'm finally getting the particulars of the cartridge and cast bullet worked out. It consistently shoots in the black (8-inch target) at 100 yards with ghost sights. The gun is more accurate than I am.

jayhutch
12-12-2012, 08:16 AM
I have a good REMLIN too. I have an older JM stamped Marlin 1894C (.357 mag) 1982 manufacture, and a newer Remlin 1894C manufactured 11/2011. When I picked up the Remlin at a gun show a few weeks ago, I was blissfully ignorant of the many Remlin issues. It cycled well, and looked nearly new. Price was OK (not a steal but OK) so I bought it. Dumb luck I guess, because it's a really good one. The Marlin Owners Forum is a wealth of info on anything Marlin. Some horror stories about Remlin QC during the switchover from New Concord (JM stamped barrels) to Remington/Marlin plant in Illion, New York (REP) stamped barrels.

Seems they may have figured it out in New York and comments seem to reflect some improvement in quality control into 2012. I'm getting the impression to steer clear of the Remlins that were made right at the time of the switch over from CT to NY. I believe the time frame for the switch over was late 2010? Can't remember, but someone here will know . The date codes are stamped on the barrel in alpha characters. I don't have a code list handy, but mine is stamped RF on the left side of barrel indicating 11/2011. There are still some very specific things to check. Key being cycling correctly and the sights in proper alignment. If either of those two are out of whack, take a deep breath and walk away. .357 lever actions's are VERY hard to find in my neck of the woods where folks are trying to stock more rounds of fewer caliber's. In that context .357 is a perfect caliber.

Mine is a particularly good Remlin. I think we must remember 2 things. 1) For decades Marlin really had no peer in the price/performance arena. An amazing lever gun for what $650 bucks brand new? It ain't $1500, but most acted like it should have the fit & finish of a $1500 rifle. Now they DID perform like a $1500 rifle. A little different now, but remember, its not an expensive rifle, so there will be some not so good ones. 2) I blame the dealers who put the lousy ones on the racks and intentionally sold them to their CUSTOMERS. They know a good one from one from a bad one. All they have to do is closely inspect it! Many have wood is nasty or has awful fitment (sure way to break off that buttstock in the woods). They know how to check the sight alignment and look in the barrel for nasties. They know better than most of us what should NOT be on the shelves/racks. They should send them back, not make the customer go thru all of that.

I'm getting carried away, but our beloved gun shops dropped the ball here as much as Remington/Marlin did in the Remlin switch over. Lets hope they have it under control now, and these greedy dealers & manufactures don't ruin the legacy of MARLIN. - hutch

Kraschenbirn
12-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Last week, I finally got a chance to examine/handle a couple new 'Remlin' 1894s and wasn't impressed with either of them. Wood of both guns...a .357 and a .44...was poorly fitted and metal finish reminded me of the old 'house brand' guns made for Sears and Montgomery Ward back in the '50s and '60s. Actions also felt pretty rough (to me) and triggers were uniformly awful but that might not be a fair comparison as all my lever guns are fairly 'vintage' and well worn-in. Dealer admitted he'd considered sending them back but said it took six weeks to get the two he had and he still had two more on backorder so he didn't know when he might get any more.

Bill

FergusonTO35
12-13-2012, 01:36 PM
My local Wally has a Remlin 336W in stock with matte metal finish and brown laminate stock. I examined it and everything appeared good to go. I would happily take it over any of the old 30's and 336A's with the thin bluing and lumber grade stocks.

Bardo
12-14-2012, 06:47 PM
I got one that was made july 2012 and have no complaints. It shoots cast boolits great. This was a 357.

Bardo

Bodydoc447
12-15-2012, 07:44 PM
I bought a Guide Gun this summer and I am perfectly satisfied with it. No problems at all shooting nothing but cast, of course.

Doc