PDA

View Full Version : Mold sticks upon opening..

Sax.45
12-09-2012, 01:08 PM
I have a lyman ideal mold that is sticking when opening. The boolits drop fine, no fins or anything. I cleaned the pins and holes in the mold and lube same.

I have inspected the mold under a magnifying glass, everything seems to be fine. Am I missing something? What would cause the mold to stick when opening? I'm new to this hobby, Any help or ideas would be helpfull. It seems to do it at normal mold temp.Still does it when I relube the lube points. One other thing I like to mention is when I put the mold on a set of handles the mold didn't close properly, switched to a different set of handles the mold closed properly. They were both handles for Ideal molds.:veryconfu

Sax.45

blaser.306
12-09-2012, 01:15 PM
It sounds to me like you have an alignment pin that is sticking out of the mould block too far and wants to "cock" the mould halves so they are not opening flat faced to one another. If it were my mould and it was not screamin hot, I would do a little closer examination and find the side that wants to drag then lay the block ona hard flat surface ( I have used the rear tail of a 8" vise ) Then with a brass faced gunsmithing hammer ( Read lightly ) Tap the ipn back into the mould block and try for fit. See if that corrects the sticky situaton for your mould.

Sax.45
12-09-2012, 01:32 PM
blaser.306. Thanks, I never thought of that. When the mold is up to temp, and the pin is hot is when it happens. ( expansion ). I'll give a try. Thanks again. [smilie=s:

runfiverun
12-09-2012, 03:08 PM
look the pins and locater holes over for burrs too.
it's most often one just poking out a titch too much and it hangs up when the pin expands from the heat.
usually the one closest to you when casting.

Sax.45
12-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys. That was the problem.

Sax.45

shotman4
12-13-2012, 09:44 PM
titch ?? aint never seed a titch too much . is that only in ID ??
rick

Mal Paso
12-13-2012, 10:03 PM
titch ?? aint never seed a titch too much . is that only in ID ??
rick

A titch is quite small. You may need glasses.

rintinglen
12-14-2012, 10:44 AM
A titch is a unit of length, smaller than a tad but larger than a smidgeon. In units of mass, however, it is smaller than a smidgeon or a pinch.