PDA

View Full Version : CCI Primers

smokemjoe
12-09-2012, 12:47 PM
I put CCI primers in my Lee 1000 to load 45 ACPs, It didnt want to seat them very good, I put in Rem 2 1/2 and works good, Whats the diffrence. Whats does Lee recommond to use, Thanks- Joe

daniel lawecki
12-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Get your calipers out you'll find a dia. difference of a few thousands. This well create the friction difference in seating effort

ReloaderFred
12-09-2012, 01:17 PM
CCI primers have the hardest cups of all the commercial primers, so that's probably what you're feeling when seating them.

Whichever primer brand you use, be sure to seat them below flush with the base of the case. The desired depth is .004" below flush. You have to set the anvil in the cup when seating them so the priming pellet will be crushed when the firing pin indents the cup. You also don't want any movement of the primer when it's struck by the firing pin, or you'll get a misfire, but will probably fire with a second hit.

Hope this helps.

Fred

shotman4
12-09-2012, 01:22 PM
the lee dont like some of the cci. and be sure you watch for the small primer in the 45 acp. Makes a mess in the lee auto feed

David2011
12-09-2012, 05:34 PM
The old CCIs in the package with green and black printing fed poorly for me as well. Lots of them hung up or tried to seat edgewise in my Dillon presses. Jimmy Mitchell, the 1911 'smith from Breckenridge, TX talked me into trying the new CCIs. In my XL650, they feed very smoothly. Almost all of the reloading on that press is for .40 S&W, many thousands per year, so this addresses my experiences with small pistol primers.

I had used mostly Federal, some Winchester and a little Remington when primers were hard to get a few years ago. All of them had the ocassional feed problem but it was a pleasant surprise that the CCIs in the dark blue packaging fed much more reliably. Damaged and flipped primers had been running 2-4 per hundred until I went to CCI. I now probaby don't have more than 2-3 lost out of every thousand. That means FAR less time spent clearing the problems with damaged live primers.

CCIs are definitely harder than other brands. I can't use them in my revolvers with lightened hammer (main) springs. It's hard to tell any additional seating resistance when seating the primers but the leverage on a Dillon when seating primers is pretty big.

David

MtGun44
12-10-2012, 03:07 PM
CCI always seat harder. I use them most of the time, work just fine, but typically do seat
with a bit more force.

Bill

200swc
12-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Use a primer pocket reamer.

o6Patient
12-27-2012, 05:23 PM
CCI always seat harder. I use them most of the time, work just fine, but typically do seat
with a bit more force.

Bill
ditto here

Highway41
12-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Forgive me if I'm hijacking, but does anyone use tula large pistol in their Lee pro 1000. If so any advice or bad experiences?