PDA

View Full Version : Could use a hand

JSH
06-24-2007, 11:11 PM
looking for the sons b-day present. He wants a .22 revolter, has to be DA, other wise it would be easy. Just looking for a pure shooter. I have looked most every where here local with no luck. I think a SW 63 would fill the bill, but am not sure what they are going for. Read on them abit and like everything else that is no longer made they are collectible. A 17 or 617 would more than likely work, but would prefer a 4" barrel. I think the 6" or longer with a full under lug may cause the young man some grief on the weight side of things.
Bob, I did happen across a High Standard you spoke of. It looked well built, was a nickle finish for $125. As msot nickle it had some flaking but not as bad as some I have seen. Trigger was a total train wreck in DA and not far behind it in SA.
From what I have seen some of the SW stuff go for on the auction sights, I would spend another $50 and buy a brand new gun.

Thanks for any help fellows.
Jeff

slughammer
06-25-2007, 12:13 AM
Like you said the 6" 617 is a pretty heavy piece of equipment. The 6" model 17 or K22 is much better for smaller shooters. The model 18 is also an option. I'm looking for a 4" K frame myself. The 63's are neat little kit guns, but I'd do more research on accuracy and triggers. I have a project 63 that has a terrible trigger and accuracy is not that good either. (Until it is worked on, I can't say what it's full potential is; but for now it ain't that great).

The 4" kframe is a gun that is built to last a lifetime.

GP100man
06-25-2007, 12:17 AM
JSH
this spring i to was looking for a DA 22 revolver i was down to 2 choicesS&W
617 or a tarus tracker ,havent purchaced either yet ,still holding out for a decent priced K17 (yeah i know & ill wait)!!!

GP100man

:cbpour:

9.3X62AL
06-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Have you checked Gunsamerica.com? Look for S&W J-frames (Models 34 and 63), S&W K-frames (Model 17 in 6" and 8.375", Model 18 in 4", Model 617 in a couple variants), Colt D-frame (Diamondback) or I-frame (Officer's Model Match), and the Ruger SP-101, made in 22 LR in some numbers. It may still be in production.

The Models 17 and OMM x 6" lack the underlug, and were easily handled by my daughters at age 8-9.

A good 22 revolver is a treasure. What a shame that gunmakers don't share that view in depth. Mine is a 6-shot, 6-inch Model 617, and it stays here for sure.

45nut
06-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Mine is a 6-shot, 6-inch Model 617, and it stays here for sure.

Same here bud.

Scrounger
06-25-2007, 12:37 AM
looking for the sons b-day present. He wants a .22 revolter, has to be DA, other wise it would be easy. Just looking for a pure shooter. I have looked most every where here local with no luck. I think a SW 63 would fill the bill, but am not sure what they are going for. Read on them abit and like everything else that is no longer made they are collectible. A 17 or 617 would more than likely work, but would prefer a 4" barrel. I think the 6" or longer with a full under lug may cause the young man some grief on the weight side of things.
Bob, I did happen across a High Standard you spoke of. It looked well built, was a nickle finish for $125. As msot nickle it had some flaking but not as bad as some I have seen. Trigger was a total train wreck in DA and not far behind it in SA.
From what I have seen some of the SW stuff go for on the auction sights, I would spend another $50 and buy a brand new gun.

Thanks for any help fellows.
Jeff
I recently referred Newtire to the little gunshop here that gets most of my business for a Ruger .32 caliber Buckeye Special that he seems satisfied with. That same shop has a Ruger Super Single Six with .22 LR and .22 WMR cylinders. And more in line with what you want, a S&W Kitgun in .22LR, 4 inch barrel. It is the Model 43 Airweight and they want $295 for it. If it was the Model 34 (standard weight, I would have already bought it. They also have some sort of S&W .32 caliber J frame, I haven't paid much attention to it.

Dale53
06-25-2007, 12:55 AM
The S&W Model 617 ("K" frame .22 rimfire) is currently shown on S&W's web site as available in a 4" model (10 shot). I have a 6" 617 and it is as advertised...

Dale53

JSH
06-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the input. I will do a bit more looking. I have ran across a few Dan Wessons in the past very reasonable, that may be an option.
He also specified adjustable sights. The 10 shot jobs just don't appeal to me, the son was not crazy about them either.
The kid is spoiled rotten when it comes to firearms, if I can't get it to shoot or it doesn't shoot for him, it gets neglected.
Jeff

Newtire
06-26-2007, 09:08 AM
I recently referred Newtire to the little gunshop here that gets most of my business for a Ruger .32 caliber Buckeye Special that he seems satisfied with.

I was happy with the service I got from Emillee's. They only charged $25 to pack & ship to Calif FFL and got matters taken care of promptly. I get to bring it home on Thursday provided they don't find out about how I used to steal my Dad's cigarettes from his pack-Pall Malls no less. I wonder how many years I could get?

7br
06-26-2007, 10:28 PM
JUst my .02. I would go for a used Dan Wesson. I currently have a Norwich 722. If I do my part, I know I can shoot silhouettes with the freedom arms right up to shoot offs. (I shot a 32 opensight 1/5 scale with it) I had a Palmer Mass gun that was good for several 36's. I have shot against several smith 617's and really do not feel they were on par with either of my Dan Wessons. Now, this has been my experience and I am sure that others will have different opinions.

fourarmed
06-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Mark, I agree that the Smiths won't stay with a GOOD DW as a silhouette revolver. The sights aren't up to it, and neither is the barrel length. However, for general fun shooting, a K-22 is lighter, handier, and much more refined. I would not trade my 6" K-22 for any Dan Wesson ever whelped, but then I have a pretty good Freedom 252 for silhouette. For a carrying revolver, the 4" model 63 is hard to beat. The model 18 is a neat revolver, too. Just a few years ago the 17s and 18s could be had for a pretty reasonable price, but I understand they are a lot higher now. Maybe ten years ago I got a nickle 4" Diamondback for under $300. I swapped it for a pristine Series 70 .45, and you know what those are bringing now.

Bear4570
06-28-2007, 06:33 PM
I just picked up a like new Smith 18-3 4", locally for $350.

My nine year old grandson loves it and shots it durn near better than I do.

lar45
06-29-2007, 12:24 AM
If you don't mind slumming it abit, you can look at www.auctionsarms.com . They have a search option to put in the max price you want. I was in the pistol section and put a max of $100 and it pulled up lots of toys. I got a little Buffalo Scout 22lr single action colt style wannabe for $12. The shipping was more than the gun. I got it home and cleaned it up and it shot as good as my Ruger single sixes and is much lighter. The 8yo son like shooting it better because it's not as heavy as the single six. With the shipping being more than the gun, I looked to see what else the guy had for sale and bid on a few 32's. I ended up with an H&R 32 mag and a couple of old 32Long top break wheel guns. The whole thing was probably less than $150 with the shipping included.