PDA

View Full Version : What's with the new Lee primer tool cover repairs?

curator
12-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Well, I broke the corner clips off the second cover on my new Lee primer tool. I went to the Lee Precision website to order a couple of new ones and they are not available. Instead there is a note that the thing has to be returned to the factory for repair. Heck, this thing will cost more to box and ship than I paid for it. I was bummed when they would no longer provide repair parts for the old primer tool which I liked. The new one sucks in many ways but still worked at least as good as the RCBS hand prime tool which is 5X more difficult to change between small and large primers. Anyone on here know what Lee plans on doing to fix these things?

zuke
12-09-2012, 08:17 AM
That's probably why they want the broken one's back, for research and probably send you a free replacement.

r6487
12-09-2012, 08:56 AM
mine broke after a short while, so i have a short wrap of electrical tape to hold them in place

r1kk1
12-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Give Lee a call on Monday. See if they will reimburse shipping if they need the tool.

Take care

r1kk1

Hardcast416taylor
12-09-2012, 06:23 PM
I`ve read that LEE has done some re-engineering of their bullet molds for the better, size cast and venting lines most noticed.Robert

MT Chambers
12-09-2012, 08:18 PM
You'd think that they would "research" the product a bit before selling it to the public.

Kraschenbirn
12-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Hey, you got a better offer than I did after mine broke...the second time I used the tool! I e-mailed Lee about the problem (design flaw?) and they responded with an offer to SELL me an 'improved' cover. My quick-fix using a heavy-duty rubber band worked until I could snag a NIB 'old style' (round) Lee Priming Tool at a gunshow.

Bill

doctorggg
12-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Mine broke faster than you could say HI. I am very disappointed in their R&D. Thankfully I still have a couple of the older round ones.

Oldgoat03
12-11-2012, 03:31 PM
My suggestion is to contact Contact Lee Customer Service directly (262) 673-3075. I had great luck just calling and talking to them. I too broke a primer part also when I called and described the situation the sent me a replacement part the same day without shipping my brken one back. I think Lee recognized that approach was cheaper and less frustration for everyone. failing that I found the info below on the Lee website for customer support. You can send them a photo of the broken part and perhaps avoid return shipping.

Replacement Parts
(edited for brevity) ... "Another option for a warranty replacement is to upload a photo and input your contact information on this form: http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Tickets/Submit/RenderForm/4"

I hope this helps

Bob

200swc
12-12-2012, 10:54 AM
I think it's deliberate on Lee's part. It seems as though they are in the business to sell replacement parts rather than quality parts to begin with.

They used to make the Auto Prime II, which would work on the press. For me, it works very well - with the exception of Fed primer (although, I've never tried them because of Lee's caution statement). Of course, Lee has discontinued this model. Luckily mine works great and recently I found one at a local gun store and paid $5 for it.

larryy
12-16-2012, 05:52 PM
I have broken three of these so far. worst design I have ever seen. Yes the old ones worked great, why did they change that part? Still have my 10 year old ones and they are good as new.These may be "safer" but they sure arent well made. Lee didn't even answer my e-mail, so you are one step ahead of me.

jmort
12-16-2012, 06:22 PM
I believe you are using the second generation XR. I have two of the original ones over tens years old and going strong. I am going to try the Ergo Prime, third generation which looks real nice in red. The XR has had its issues.

jmort
12-16-2012, 06:25 PM
"I think it's deliberate on Lee's part."
Really? What a useful addition to this thread. I would like to thank Lee Precision for sponsoring this site and may God Bless Richard Lee, John Lee and Lee Precision.

200swc
12-17-2012, 12:34 AM
"I think it's deliberate on Lee's part."
Really? What a useful addition to this thread. I would like to thank Lee Precision for sponsoring this site and may God Bless Richard Lee, John Lee and Lee Precision.

Direct feedback from customers is the only way to learn and improve. If it hurts, then it's probably true.

I have eighteen years of quality under my belt. Unfortunately, I've been in positions were lesser degree of quality product had left our department. I wouldn't stand idle watching the obvious outcome, I had to say something.

A person or company can make any widget but if the widget doesn't work, then there's no one else to blame but the company (engineers).

Take the time to research the widget; assure the widget works to full spec and only the test market the item to a test market and then to the full market.

All too many companies shoot for the shot show. They show up with inadequate merchandise. (We’ll work out the bugs later.)

I believe Maytag used to have commercials of the Maytag repairman standing around doing nothing all the time. That says a lot about the quality department. QUALITY FIRST.

If the product can be made of metal and you choice minimal plastic and your repair department is consistently busy, you’ve made the wrong choice in material.

I like Lee; I have four of their presses but it’s a good starter kit to learn the basics of reloading but not an advance kit.

I would almost always recommend a Lee press to the first-time novice. It’s a good starter tool.

EDG
12-17-2012, 02:49 AM
Most quality problems original in management. Managers do not give the design engineers goals that are suitable for long term success of the product. The design engineers may have to cut corners on the design when they know that given another few weeks they could make it better. The next place is the lack of process control in manufacturing. If the managers, engineers and manufacturing personnel do their jobs right the quality organization does not have much to worry about.
There is a new Lee design. Maybe one of these days they will get it right.
I guess I will have to buy one for my OC collection of priming tool.
I have a half dozen of the old screw in Lees, 3 or 4 of the 2nd gen - both with the primer tray and the less expensive version where they cut off the tray.
I also have
1. a RCBS table top primer - the one with no feed mechanism.
2. Bonanza co-axial
3. Lee ram prime
4. KM hand tool
Of all of these tools I still use the old screw in Lee the most.
I do have to use one of the others for shell holders that I do not have which includes .405 Win and .50-70.

o6Patient
01-11-2013, 03:36 PM
I have 2 of the original round ones and they must be pushing 25+ years now.

Floydster
01-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Are we talking about the new Ergo prime or the older X-R?
I have the new Ergo prime, no probs with the cover so far.

Smokey loads

John Boy
01-11-2013, 10:31 PM
I have 2 of the original round ones and they must be pushing 25+ years now.06, can't top the 25 yrs but the clear plastic covers on my round ones have turned a yellow color with age.