PDA

View Full Version : How much lube

1maxhunter
12-09-2012, 02:18 AM
started using a lyman 450 and want to know how many boolits can you size or do you guys size befor giving the lube screw a turn?or is it a matter of feel and how the groves look full of lube? im using javilena lube and also wonder if a little heat will help? im in so. cal. and tonight its about 50 Deg. and geting colder.will a little heat help things??

.22-10-45
12-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Hello, 1maxhunter..This is something you will have to "play" with..depends alot on caliber too..A 45gr. .22 uses alot less than say a .500 gr. .45. I use a swivel socket wrench & back off pressure before ejecting..again sometimes this isn't needed..but it helps keep lube from oozing onto bottom punch face. I work in basement and temp's can get around 60 in summer, so about 1/2hr. before using, I set up light bulb against sizer to warm things up a bit. a heat gun or hair dryer can be used if it starts cooling & lube is stiff. For the .22 & 6mm..sometimes you can get two on one turn..but not always. And again, trying for too much pressure can cause lube on bullet base on upstroke. Best of luck!

1maxhunter
12-09-2012, 03:25 AM
Thank you. I dont have lube on the bottom of the check yet. is that a good sign of to much pressure on the screw?

root
12-09-2012, 11:20 AM
I give it about a 1/8th crank as soon as I see any spot in the grove unlubed. then relube that boolit. about every 8 or 10 on the 9mm.
(single grove)
I use a ratchet in case I have to back it off.
I use unheated soft lube