PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 44 mag Semi carbine

tomme boy
12-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Anyone have one of these? What seems to work in them? This one is the older one that does not have a magazine. It is a friends and he has only ever shot factory in it so can not say about cast.

hicard
12-12-2012, 11:01 AM
I shoot cast in my Ruger carbine and it works fine. I am told that you have to use near max loads but I found several moderate loads that work just fine in mine and I might add, feel much better in the recoil dept.

starmac
12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
The one I had (I never used cast in it) would not cycle with 44 special ammo.

Roosters
12-12-2012, 06:53 PM
I load the Hornady 240 gr XTP over 2400 powder. No problems and shoots good. Haven’t shot any cast in it. It has never had a factory load only hand loads.
Here is what Hornady 7th Edition shows for a 44 magnum Rifle (They are showing a Ruger Carbine as the test rifle)
240gr XTP Jacketed

2400 powder Start 17.3gr 1400 FPS
Max 21.5gr 1700 FPS
If you want any other information from that handbook drop me a PM

pietro
12-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Anyone have one of these? What seems to work in them? This one is the older one that does not have a magazine. It is a friends and he has only ever shot factory in it so can not say about cast.

FWIW, ALL Ruger .44 Carbines have magazines.

The early Carbines have a tubular magazine in the forend, like an auto shotgun; the later auto & lever carbines have Ruger's detachable rotary magazine.

Both autoloaders are gas-operated, with gas port & piston, etc - which boolit leading can/will play hell with, forcing a complete (burdensome) teardown & scrubbing every time it turns from an autoloader into a single shot rifle.
Both .44 autoloading rifles were designed around factory 240gr JHP's, and using anything else is on the owner.