PDA

View Full Version : Lead Splatter on Aluminum Mold

Garys007
12-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Hey guys,

I'm quite new to casting.

Quick question. As I'm casting I get small splatters of lead stuck to my aluminum mold. I wouldn't really care but it seems like I must of gotten some under the spru plate and it scratched the top surface of the mold. How do I keep this from happening in the future?

Some of the lead is still on the mold, how do I get it off?

Unfortunately, I'm concerned I may have ruined my mold or at minimum damaged it.

Thanks,
Gary

Carolina Cast Bullets
12-09-2012, 12:02 AM
I am assuming it is a Lee mold. Light scratching does not normally harm the mold or its output unless it intrudes into the cavities.

When the mold is cold, gently, very gently, used a small flat object to scrape off the offending drop of lead. Be careful not to scratch the surface any more than it already is. The smear of lead should slip off fairly easily.

As to lead under the sprue, again let the mold cool completely, then remove the sprue cutter and remove the lead smear as before. I sometimes use a brass brush to do the same.

Get some Bullplate lube (He is back in business now and is a member here on the forum) and use it as directed. It really does work wonders.

Jerry

Carolina Cast Bullets

41 mag fan
12-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Cut a wooden dowel rod to a chisel style point. Use it to scrape off the lead.
CCB above posted a very good way to remove lead thats smeared under the sprue plate.
If you cant get it off, heat very lightly with a propane torch and use the wooden dowel to scrape it off. Dont overheat the sprue plate, as it could warp from excess heat. Esp if its a Lee mold. Cheaper less quality metal

runfiverun
12-09-2012, 03:13 PM
and use something on top of the mold to prevent it from sticking again next time.
i have a nice walt NEI mold that has a galled strip on top of the mold [grrr]
luckily it doesn't affect the molds operation,but a little atf,antisieze,bullplate,pencil graphite rubbed on top,something/anything would have prevented it from happening.
of course it would have cost me more for the mold,but i wouldn't have had to take the chance it was still good either.

fecmech
12-09-2012, 03:52 PM
An easy way to get it off is to place the edge of the mold in your molten lead for a minute or two till it is good and hot. Then simply take a paper towel (paper, not anything with plastic in it, Bounty works) and simply wipe off the lead. Paper towels seem to be abrasive enough to catch and hold the lead when it's hot. You can even do it (without the dipping) if you notice a smear when casting at a fast pace and you do it quickly after dumping the bullets from the mold.

saint_iverson
12-09-2012, 09:30 PM
I use a wooden painters stick handy to do aquick flux when dropping boolits. While the mold is hot, i use the stick to rub any stuck lead, from either the top or in between the blocks, I have been doing this for some time and haven't any trouble with it, just has to be a hot mold!

leadman
12-10-2012, 12:27 AM
A sharpened popsicle stick works well also for removing lead. The blue paper towels for garage use work well also. If you have some lead under the sprue plate right next to the pivot screw it is best to remove the plate. A Lee mold should be hot when you try to back out the screw. The other brands have a set screw on the side holding the pivot screw in place. This will have to be loosened to remove the pivot screw.
If it is a new Lee mold check the leading edge of the sprue plate for roughness. Everone I have checked had this so I used some 600 grit sandpaper to smooth this edge. A little Bullplate lube can be wiped on the pivot screw before installation.
After you get the mold cleaned and back together Bullplate lube from the Bullshop can be applied to a hot mold with boolits in the cavities. I use a Q-tip to wipe a little Bullplate lube from the underside of the bottle after giving it a shake. Cut the sprue then wipe a little lube on the top of the mold and the underside of the sprue plate. This stuff will migrate to the cavities if you use too much and then you have to clean it out.

BeemerMark
12-11-2012, 05:42 PM
An easy way to get it off is to place the edge of the mold in your molten lead for a minute or two till it is good and hot. Then simply take a paper towel (paper, not anything with plastic in it, Bounty works) and simply wipe off the lead. Paper towels seem to be abrasive enough to catch and hold the lead when it's hot. You can even do it (without the dipping) if you notice a smear when casting at a fast pace and you do it quickly after dumping the bullets from the mold. I do basically the same thing with a lightly damp rag.