PDA

View Full Version : Lead shot question

BACKTOSHOOTING
12-08-2012, 09:27 PM
A freind gave me 52 lbs of lead shot today to use in my aloy mix to bring the arsnic level up.

My problem is all but 9 lbs are in plastic buckets so i dont know if there magnum shot or not.

The 9lbs are in the original bag and state magnum. When i look at it compared it to the other shot its very shiney as are 2 of the buckets but 1 bucket is very dull and a bit lighter in color like regular lead is.

Is there a way to tell if the shot is regular or magnumjust by looking at it?

Thanks Steve

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
12-08-2012, 10:42 PM
What size is it? or is it mixed? If it is mixed I would consider it 5% antimony 95% lead and alloy accordingly.

leadman
12-08-2012, 11:16 PM
If some of the shot looks like regular lead it is probably not graphited and homemade. Not that this is bad but most homemade shot is made out of wheelweight alloy.
The magmun is definitely something to keep seperated from the rest as you know what that is. You can cast some boolits from the different alloys and weigh them or have someone here with a hardness tester check them for you. The harder boolits will be lighter in weight.
There is a member here in Selling & Swapping offering cheap analysis of your lead.