PDA

View Full Version : Destruction of boolit nose

44man
06-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Destruction of a boolit nose

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a mold for a semi-wadcutter boolit for my Ruger old Army last week. It shot pretty good. My friend dropped off his Pietta Remington with a 12" barrel so I could try it in his gun. I was shooting 32 gr's of Swiss FFFG. I found something that threw me out of kilter. I had one boolit move out from recoil and had to pull the cylinder to get it back in. I noticed the boolit had part of the nose eroded away from the cylinder gap blast. I started to keep track.
Boolit number one would be perfect of course but boolit no 6 and no. 2 had part of the nose gone. When no 6 came around where no. 5 was fired, the other side of the nose on no. 6 was gone too.
I was using a 30 to 1 alloy so I tried WW metal, water dropped. The erosion was exactly the same. I measured the gap after cleaning the gun and it is .010", not small enough to cause a hard jet of gas.
This has me wondering if some smokeless powders can do the same to our cast boolits. I have just never looked for it. I am going to from now on and wonder if all of you would also look because we all use different powders.
I took a file to a new boolit to show how they looked. 4 of them would have the flat one one side but no. 6 would have both sides cut.
Attached Thumbnails

44man
06-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Go to wheelguns, pistol and handcannons to see a picture

44man
06-25-2007, 04:02 PM
I found the problem! Go to the other forum and see picture. For those of you that have the Remington, it will make you shoot round balls only.