PDA

View Full Version : Annealing machines

Jack Stanley
12-08-2012, 09:37 AM
I've been looking at the different annealing machines and considering a purchase . I'd like some input on a machine that will do several different cases . The cases I'd likely be working with are .223 , .308 , 30'06 , 303 British and 7.62x54r perhaps 6.5 swede as well .

The Giraud appeals to me because the feed tray can be filled and left alone to work . The down side is the cost of a feed wheel for every different case would be huge . Plus , I don't know if it will work with rimmed cases .

The Bench Source looks like it may have all the bases covered . I'd have to call and see if it can run rimmed cases by dropping them in the top of the feed wheel .

The two offered from annealingmachines.com may work as well and the model 360 may be the easiest to use .

Do all of the machines rotate the case in the flame ? Some of the you tube videos are a little blurry .

Thanks , Jack

jmorris
12-08-2012, 10:25 AM
The ones with opposing torches generally don't rotate the cases as the flame is completely around the case.

The one I built will work manually with everything up to 50 BMG, with The same plate. The feeder I built won't work with the big magnum cases though, not sure about the one bigdawg built. He also builds a rotater. I only sell the blades and drawings of the basic machine but he has built complete machines for others.

pdawg_shooter
12-08-2012, 10:57 AM
A pot of 750º lead and a bit of motor mica works good for me. Heats the brass uniformly. A homemade full moon clip lets me do 6 at a time.

GRUMPA
12-08-2012, 11:21 AM
I looked at the Giraud annealer and being the person that I am I asked some very direct questions, ended up I was asked to look elsewhere. If I'm shelling out that kinda cash for something I want it to do what I want it do do and not what it allows me to do.

I got 1 of bigdawgs tumblers and for lack of a better term the thing is amazingly well built and faster than the Thumlers Tumbler I was using. I spoke with him on the phone about getting an annealer from him and when funds permit I'll more than likely be getting 1 from him in the near future. Let's face it annealing is about the most mind numbing thing a reloader can do and I do a lot in a given week. For what that machine can do it's to bad they have to be so pricey and wish an automatic case feeder was included, but that's another story.

Jack Stanley
12-08-2012, 12:23 PM
You are so right about mind numbing Grumpa . Right now I'm doing them one at a time twirling the case in the flame with my fingers . I know I am not as consistant as a machine would be . When I decide to anneal a thousand or more cases I'm NOT doing it like I have been . That's why I'm looking at the machines to do the cartridges I gave in the first post . I'm likely going to use the machine of the aught six the most with one of the big rimmed thirty-one calibers coming a close second .

Jack

GRUMPA
12-08-2012, 12:34 PM
The set-up I'm using now I have 2 opposing torches pointed to a rod (long drill bit) that rotates and I can do them 1 at a time at a rate of 500 and maybe a few more in an hour. But I have to make a mental note to take some strong coffee and or some NO-DOZE with me when I head on out to the shop. On a busy week I do an average of 7K and something a bit more on the automatic side sure has it's appealing points for sure.

Kevin Rohrer
12-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Jack: Have you looked at The Ballistic Edge? I have one and like it a lot. It only uses one wheel for all cartridges.

http://www.annealingmachines.com/model_360

Jack Stanley
12-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Kevin , I've been to that sight a couple times now and I'm thinking the model 360 might be the best for my multiple case problem . The four hundred looks like it rotates the case individually when it's in the flame I can't really tell in the video though .

Which model do you have Kevin ? Can you tell me a little about it ?

Jack

Kevin Rohrer
12-09-2012, 11:26 AM
I have the 360 with 2-arms. You can put just about any size case in it and adjust the speed and height to heat-up the neck to whatever degree you want. His site gives good explanations and there are Youtube videos showing how it works.

I called him to order it and gave him my CC number to pay for it. He is a one man company, so he builds them when ordered. I seem to recall it took <2-weeks to get it.

The machine is easy to operate once setup. I use it in my garage so I have proper ventilation.

Once you have the height and speed adjusted, just drop new casings in the slots and watch them rotate and get heated-up. They then rotate to a hole and drop underneath the annealer into a cake pan I have set underneath it. There does not need to be any water in the pan and the brass cools fairly quickly, depending on the ambient temperature. The process quickly gets boring, so I listen to music and podcasts.

The torches are cheap and last a long time. I am still on my original two after 1500-rounds.

Jack Stanley
12-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks Kevin , that's very helpfull .

Jack

Hairtrigger
12-09-2012, 05:19 PM
I use a Ken Light machine.
It works very well
http://www.kenlightmfg.com/products.html

Jack Stanley
12-09-2012, 06:00 PM
I use a Ken Light machine.
It works very well
http://www.kenlightmfg.com/products.html

If I remember right that was the one with the blurry video on youtube . That design looks like it may be less than interchangable with let's say aught six and 7.62x54r cases .

Hairtrigger you use yours with just one type of brass ?

Thanks , Jack

larryy
12-16-2012, 06:03 PM
I use the Vertex Bench Source it rotates while in the flame and uses two torches. the only extra shell plate is if you use the 50BMG
Works great for me. 22 hornet to 300 Win Mag. Build quality is very good, and it came quickly.

Jack Stanley
12-16-2012, 06:36 PM
I tried for over an hour to get Bench-source on the phone , I finally just left them a message at their web sight . After an email and another message they did get back with me . The Vertex Bench-source machine is five hundred bucks and shipping is another twenty-three . When the case is in the flame it is turning which makes me think a higher production rate would be possible . Also all cases get fed from the top into the plate . The machine from Annealingmachines with the similar rotate while heating feature required rimmed case be fed from the bottom .

My simple way of thinking tells me it's easier to just drop them in the top and go on with it . Maybe tomorrow I'll call somebody up with my credit card in hand and see if I can get this project moving .

Jack

wtfooptimax200
12-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Once you have the height and speed adjusted, just drop new casings in the slots and watch them rotate and get heated-up. They then rotate to a hole and drop underneath the annealer into a cake pan I have set underneath it. There does not need to be any water in the pan and the brass cools fairly quickly, depending on the ambient temperature.

Since there is no heat sink as in the Ken Light machine, does it anneal anything other than case neck area by heat spreading from the neck?

Kevin Rohrer
12-16-2012, 10:58 PM
No, the flames are small and only anneal the case necks, although the bodies get warm. The turntable does not get hot.

Hairtrigger
12-16-2012, 11:22 PM
If I remember right that was the one with the blurry video on youtube . That design looks like it may be less than interchangable with let's say aught six and 7.62x54r cases .

Hairtrigger you use yours with just one type of brass ?

Thanks , Jack

I have 3 different wheels. 223 family , ppc , and 308. These cover the calibers I shoot in volume
Ken Light's website has pics but no video

o6Patient
12-27-2012, 04:21 PM
I built my own years ago after reading Wooters and a couple of others, I use a torch but as stated it has to spin.
I use water as the heat sink.

Circuit Rider
12-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Jack, JMorris has the drawings and blades to build your own. I'm not the sharpest tack in the box and followed the pattern he sent and mine works great and I have about $125.00 in it. At the top of this thread is his unit in action, " Finished the auto annealer today" is the link to it. CR

Jack Stanley
12-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Fellas , I ended up with a Vertex sitting on the bench down in the dungeon . I am waiting on the Tempilaq to fine tune it but I did fiddle around with it using some .303 British cases . With the lights dimmed a bit I have the timer set at 2.8 seconds and that might be holding them in the flame to long . When the Tempilaq arrives I'll be able to see what is really happening but my initial outlook for the speed of the machine is promising . In the past I've avoided annealing for the time involved with the quantity of cases to do . This will make the task much easier right up front , save brass in the long run and I do hope give more consistant accuracy from lot to lot .

Thanks so much for all of your input , Jack