PDA

View Full Version : CPA 44-1/2 45-70 strength class

Tatume
12-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Hello Folks,

I'm about to receive a new CPA Stevens sporting rifle in 45-70. Although I use Trapdoor-class loads in all my 45-70 rifles, I'm curious how this action is regarded. Any thoughts?

Take care, Tom

wch
12-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Ask your question on (www.assra.com); the single shot guys will know.

gewehrfreund
12-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Since it's a true falling block and made with modern steel, it is certainly much stronger than the trapdoor class of rifles.
But it's not a highwall or Ruger No. 1 either, so if it were mine, I'd stick with Win 1886 class loads at most. They should provide for more than enough "excitement" in this rifle.

johnson1942
12-08-2012, 01:04 PM
when i got mine a number of years ago cpa told me it was stronger than a highwall. i dont know if that is true but they insisted it is so. not only do they use modern steel but the walls are thicker they said than the originals. i really like mine. i use reloader 7 which is clean enough, bulky and reliable. i use 37 to 48 grains depends how i want to shoot. i shoot paper patch in a smith gain twist barrel. its a tack driver. you will love your gun.

John Boy
12-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Tatume, like any falling block rifle - hot rod the reloads with smokeless and the links will loosen. Stay within the normal 45-70 pressure range: less than 28,000 psi and there will be no worries.
That said, CPA rifles are 44 1/2 actions using modern steel. They are not of the Stevens 44 design with is a weak action

I have a 45-70 Badger barrel on my CPA and bullet specific for 1000yd, the fps are up in the low 2100's

Tatume
12-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Thank you for the feedback fellows. It is appreciated. I'm looking forward to the rifle, as I have wanted one for many years.

Tatume
12-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Hello Folks,

My new CPA Stevens 44-1/2 45-70 rifle is on the truck and will be delivered Monday, in time for Christmas. I'm very much looking forward to it. I did find this tidbit in the CPA owners manual:

"The CPA action is designed for use with black powder or black powder equivalent loads developing no more than 30,000 psi. It is not intended to be used with any loads above this pressure level, including modern factory loads, high power hand loads, or jacketed bullets."

I'm not concerned about this, as I typically shoot "Trapdoor" loads anyway, 350 & 400 grain cast bullets in the 1400 - 1600 fps range. According to the Hodgdon web site, these loads are well below 30,000 CUP, and I'm confident they are below 30,000 psi.

However, I have realized a concern on which perhaps someone here may be able to share some insight (no pun intended). In addition to a Baldwin tang sight and appropriate front sight, I ordered bases for an externally adjustable scope. My scope is a 15x Lyman Super Targetspot, and today it occurred to me that the eye relief is not very great (2"). Among those of you who use these old scopes, what is the probability of injuring my eye (or more likely, scratching my glasses)?

Thanks, Tom

Bent Ramrod
12-21-2012, 09:28 PM
The 44-1/2 action itself is pretty stout. There were some arguments that the originals were not up to a High Wall or a Borchardt in strength because the sidewalls were not as high, but most of any difference would relate to the size of the 44-1/2 and the barrel shank it would take, which pretty much limited it to cases of .30-30 head size. The exceptions were the .44-40 type cartridges which weren't very high pressured.

The CPA action is fully as large as a High Wall and can take a 1" barrel shank for the .45-70 head size cases. The remaining limiting factor it may share with the original 44-1/2s is the angled firing pin. This requires an oval hole in the breechblock face, and some tricky fitting of the firing pin to keep the primers of high-pressure rounds from flowing back into the hole. The modern action may have a smaller firing pin and less tendency for this to happen, but you'd have to check to see. This condition doesn't indicate any catastrophic failure potential, but it is annoying because of the second snap you have to make on the firing pin in order to open the breech.

My .25-20 44-1/2 is limited to about the same velocities and pressures as a similar 44, because of the primer flow. It would need the breechblock bushed and a smaller firing pin carefully fitted to minimize this.

GOPHER SLAYER
12-21-2012, 10:56 PM
The Stevens 441/2 was the only one of the older single shots designed for smokeless powder. The falling block action, by it's very design is stronger than the bolt guns. Just look at the locking lug area you have on each type of action. For many years Dupont used a Winchester highwall for testing loads. It was given to an employee when it was no longer used and was featured in an article in the American Single Shot Mag. It fired many proof loads without failing. Winchester did chamber some highwalls for cartridges such as 7x57. I had one chambered for .219 Donaldson improved. If you want high intensity round, that was it. It became a drag to shoot. The noise was awesome. What may effect your shooting with the CPA rifle is recoil and not fear of overloads. I don't know what your gun will weigh but I would want it to be at least ten pounds.