PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my "Re-Entry" Into Single Actions

Treetop
12-08-2012, 12:32 AM
I found these two "new to me" Ruger Old Model revolvers at an Estate sale. They appear to have been gently used, with bluing worn in the usual places, but mechanically excellent. The SBH appears to have been carried more than the .45 Colt/.45 ACP. I got a fairly good deal on them and they were exactly what I was looking for, they weren't safe queens and I won't relegate them to that status either. I'd almost forgotten how much fun single actions are! I should have never sold my originals, but these are nice replacements.

Early 2013, I'll be looking for a .357/9mm Blackhawk and a Super Single Six, both in 6 1/2" to complete my 3 screw Ruger collection. Tt.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o146/RMAJR/IMG_0358.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o146/RMAJR/IMG_0356.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o146/RMAJR/IMG_0357.jpg

x101airborne
12-08-2012, 01:19 AM
Awww... That is AWESOME!!!!
Want to sell one?

Silver Jack Hammer
12-08-2012, 01:50 AM
What beauties. Hold out for 3-screws when shopping for your Super Single Six and .357 too. I've got a 3-screw SBH, a brace of Bearcat's and a brace of .357's all in 3-screw configuration. They get shot lots more than my New Model .45 Colt.

What are you going to feed them?

cbrick
12-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Just beautiful but maybe that's because of the way my brain works . . .

Real guns have cylinders. :mrgreen:

Rick

Salmoneye
12-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Nice...

Now you need real wood on there ;-)

cbrick
12-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Nice...

Now you need real wood on there ;-)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I agree that the wood grips look much better BUT my huge hands simply swollow up the tiny wood grips on single actions. The Pachmeyer's are a much better fit for me and is what my Ruger's and FA's wear. I'd be lucky to hit the dirt down range with the tiny wood installed. For me at least they look perfectly natural and normal, just what I'm accustomed to seeing I guess.

Rick

Treetop
12-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I agree that the wood grips look much better BUT my huge hands simply swollow up the tiny wood grips on single actions. The Pachmeyer's are a much better fit for me and is what my Ruger's and FA's wear. I'd be lucky to hit the dirt down range with the tiny wood installed. For me at least they look perfectly natural and normal, just what I'm accustomed to seeing I guess.

Rick

I agree with everything you stated, Rick! I love the look of the stock Ruger grips but they are entirely too small for my hands. The Pachmayr grips came on the six shooters, so no Ruger grips anyhow.

I had Herrett make some grips for my original OM Rugers and foolishly let them go with the guns, years ago... At 65 years old, I'm still 6'6" tall and weigh around 250-255 with huge hands. Even with the Pachmayr grips on these guns, my little finger is mostly dangling in thin air!

I'll probably have Herrett make some uncheckered wood grips for these two eventually. They now cost about $100 per gun, but no "stock" grips I've tried has fit me nearly as well. Tt.

Treetop
12-08-2012, 02:29 PM
What beauties. Hold out for 3-screws when shopping for your Super Single Six and .357 too. I've got a 3-screw SBH, a brace of Bearcat's and a brace of .357's all in 3-screw configuration. They get shot lots more than my New Model .45 Colt.

What are you going to feed them?

I'm certainly not trying to start anything, Silver Jack, but after trying a New Model SBH and a Single Ten, I'm not at all interested in any New Models. I was brought up to only load five rounds in a six shooter and never have I wished for six!

Actually there was one time... I was squirrel hunting with my old 3 screw .357, loaded with .38 special WCs. It was a beautiful frosty cold, clear, still, morning about 3 days after a "norther". I could hear lots of squirrel activity ahead of me, in a dense oak flat, so I eased up to within about 25-30 feet of the "den " tree and killed 6 or 7 squirrels (it's been over thirty years ago, so details are fuzzy) over the next 45 minutes or so. That's the only time I remember having to reload my "five shooter" in the woods. Tt.

Treetop
12-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Awww... That is AWESOME!!!!
Want to sell one?

Sorry, Trey. I learned my lesson the first time! These ain't for sale. ;-)

I had the SBH in my hand, the other day, when we checked the hog traps, up at the ranch. We caught a large (250-275 lb.) boar in one of the traps, but it was late Sunday afternoon, so I released him. We had a long drive back from the ranch to the Treetop hacienda near Houston and processing him would have taken us into the wee hours of Monday morning, getting home. He'll be back...

Treetop
12-08-2012, 02:42 PM

Rick

I like the way your brain works!

markinalpine
12-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Just beautiful but maybe that's because of the way my brain works . . .

Rick

Like the old M60 tanks with 12 cylinder diesel engines? :bigsmyl2:

Mark :coffee:

wcp4570
12-08-2012, 08:44 PM
I like the old model Rugers. The new models are just not the same. I have both of these guns, my 45 colt wears a Ruger brass grip frame that needs to be polished right now. Both have stock wood grips and both really jam my second finger bad when I shoot them. I think I will have to try a pair of grips like you have. I have a flattop 44 that is not as bad to shoot as the first two. I'm with you and will never sell any of my single action Rugers. My 11 year old grandson already has his name on the Rugers and a few more in the safe.

wcp

45sixgun
12-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Congrats on your find! Hope they bring you years of good shooting. The only handguns I own are Ruger SA's, and I will never get tired of shooting and reloading for them.

Salmoneye
12-09-2012, 08:36 AM

Rick

I was just picking ;-)

My SBH wore a gummy set of Uncle Mike's for years till I started making my own grips...Then I fell into a set of the original 'Mustang Grips' from the 70's, and used those for a bit...They are huge and ugly, but tame the heaviest loads I could safely load...

Enjoy your new iron!

ADDING:

Found a pic of my Mustang Grips on my SBH:

44man
12-09-2012, 10:20 AM
My love for any revolver will never end and the SA is something you need to remove from my casket!
To find such wonderful guns brings tears of joy for you.

canyon-ghost
12-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Very nice. Sometimes the best things in life just keep coming back around. You're a lucky man.

cbrick
12-09-2012, 10:49 AM
I love the look of the stock Ruger grips but they are entirely too small for my hands. The Pachmayr grips came on the six shooters, so no Ruger grips anyhow. Tt.

I have a few sets of the stock Ruger wood because as soon as I got them they had Pachmeyers on them, my FA field grade came with Pachmeyers. My Ruger 30 Carbine I bought used had some kind of aftermarket grips, ugliest grips ya ever saw but they are huge and fit my hand perfectly. My smith sent this revolver back to Ruger and I sent it without the ugly grips and got it back with some of the nicest Ruger wood I ever saw and they didn't charge for them. Nice. So there is another extra set of Ruger wood because the gun wears the ugly grips. I have no idea what make these grips are, not a mark on them that would indicate who made them and I've never seen them before, probably because they are so ugly. :mrgreen:

There is nothing that tames the recoil of the OMSB like a set of Pachmeyers. But yes, the Ruger wood is prettier to the eye and the Pachmeyers are prettier to the hand.

Rick

cbrick
12-09-2012, 10:52 AM
the SA is something you need to remove from my casket!

Huh? Not me, not from my casket . . . I'm taking mine with me! :mrgreen:

Rick

Silver Jack Hammer
12-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Treetop, I think you and I are in complete agreement, I favor the 3-screw configuration and own them almost exclusively. I've taught my son to only load 5 beans the wheel too.

wcp4570
12-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Rick
My grandson just recently discovered that he likes shooting my OM 30carbine. I load a 115gr gas checked boolit over 6.5gr Unique and it is very accurate. My biggest problem right now is with a little alphabet s/n Bearcat that I bought a couple years back that is broken. The hammer plunger broke and for the life of me I can't find anyone that has parts for the old model Bearcat's. I am considering sending it back to Ruger just to get the modified system installed just to get it running again. I would really prefer putting it back as an old model. This is the first old model gun that I own that has been broken.

wcp

big dale
12-09-2012, 06:47 PM
I too favor the Ruger old models, but you might as well also get one more and that would be one in 41 Mag. That was my first Ruger Blackhawk and that one was in the 4 5/8 inch barrel model. I am currently looking for another one. When I had that handgun I saw no need for either 357 or 44 mag. I just love the Super Blackhawks so I am locked into a 44 mag for the rest of my life, but I still want to get another 41 mag.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

Whiterabbit
12-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Treetop, you like caraudio by chance? :)