PDA

View Full Version : Now I can at least say that I tried it! / Mixed feelings

Sakdog
12-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Not too long ago I got a pound of FFFg free as part of a package deal. I was intrigued by the prospect of possibly loading some some .38spls with the stuff and giving it a go. I rolled about 60 of them and a dozen or so snake shot shells for fun

The projos were loaded with:
~16 gravimetric grains of powder (GOEX FFFg)
A cardboard disk that was wax soaked was placed on the powder
a 150 grain lee round nose non tumble lube bullet that was indeed tumble lubed topped the cake
This came out to roughly .1" compression when assembled.

The snake shot was:
.7cc Goex FFFg
2 thin cardboard wads (fabbed from a used Small FRB)
.7cc of #7 or 8 shot
another wad, crimped and glued

this is all being fired in a modern J-frame style gun so not purist by any means not that I care but..

I've never shot blackpowder in my life so this is all new to me. after the first shot my mind wandered to a scene: A factory that uses human hair to make wigs, A tire factory and an acre of filled-to-the-brim porta potties are all next to each other and on fire... That is what it smells like. There was an instant where I was like "oh smells like model rockets like when I was a kid" the novelty was short lived as the throbbing headache set in. that was just after firing a few of the shotshells.

Moving on I load er on up with the projo rounds and give er a whirl; definitely a much deeper and bass-i-er report than with smokeless which I admit was cool. Did I hit what I was shooting at? not sure! gotta wait until the smoke clears.. hmm looks like that plastic bottle moved a little over there on the berm.. guess so.. I waited for the wind to pick up a little so as to help scavenge the 12.6 million cubic feet of smoke created by each blast, coincidentally I also found that by strafing side to side I could kind of see what I was hitting too. Ill have to get a hold of the local airport and see if maybe they would let me set up a little range at the end of the runway when a 747 is running up its engines..but was it fun? Indeed I must admit that it was!

I fired probably 15 rounds at a time and swabbed the bore with a wet patch between and amazingly enough that crud wiped out pretty easily no leading to speak of.

That is certainly a smell that will linger, in my truck and range bag for a while but it was a blast. When I got home it was into the ultrasonic cleaner for the whole gun sans grips, and then the brass boy that water was putrid after all that.

I might try em again without the wax disk next time to see if it makes a difference...

Wouldn't say that I could justify using black all the time, but there is an allure to all that smoke and the deep roar that each shot I can kind of see what its all about.

YMMV

bigted
12-07-2012, 07:45 PM
welcome to the sickness!!! you will in-advertanly chase that first feeling... just as an addict to heroin does...for the rest of your life!!! after a time that putrid smell will be the best aroma that could ever invade yer nasty nostrills. when that copious cloud of putrid smelling smoke begins to filter over past the "regular" shooters...they will in-advertainly come running over to save you from the terrible fire that somehow started in your shooting AO. when they realize you did it on purpose they will filter away except for the few that will just smile and ask if everything is going as planned and if there is anything they can do to help or help to add to the addiction.

your path will be invaded with the memory of that first expedition into a very black hole as you go humm drumm along with your ho hum smokless loads along with the sucombing to the jaxeted boolits from time to time. the very clear NEED will arise to obtain another firearm that will consume that terrible blackpowder stuffed with first greesers and then beyond doubt the patched boolits will be tried.

oh you should have never used that cruddy blackpowder...now you will have no will power over the questions and reading of the adventures of others and eventually have a go on some yourself.

the snarling of an obviously rabbid rabit as he is in the midst of an un-ussually harsh attack on everything deemed as righteous in your life and desperately needing a dose of lead slung along with the dreaded black death will take on a brand new meaning as well as the dreams of bear and buffalo come n go in your sleep.

ahhh yes.....you have arrived!!! WELCOME SIR here is hoping that your journey is sweet and you maintain the clear mind that accompany those of us that finally see real the reasson to live.

NickSS
12-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Welcome into the Black Art of Black Powder Shooting. I was introduced to it only 48 years ago and the Novelty has not warn off yet. I ran 50 rounds though my Sharps just a couple of days ago now I am enjoying loading up the shells fro another go at it. The smell become the aroma of heaven on earth after awhile.

AviatorTroy
12-07-2012, 08:04 PM
If you think that's fun wait until you get to light off a case full of BP behind a 450 grainer in a Trapdoor Springfield carbine. If you can manage to shoot more than one group before your arm falls off you are more of a man than I am!

smokeywolf
12-07-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm little by little coaxing myself to load some 45-70s up with some 2f Swiss. Never shot black out of a cartridge before. Trying to gather opinions on boolit lube (I have SPG) and the favorite solvent for between strings wiping of the bore. Gun would be an early 1900s model '86 Winchester SRC with the "Nickel Steel" barrel.

smokeywolf

Prairiewolf
12-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Well, as of yesterday, I can say I am another new addict. I had wanted to try loading some BPCs for my 45-70 Buffalo Classic for a long time, and finally got it done. What a hoot! After shooting a mess of those (I only loaded 20) I cleaned the bore up real good and shot some regular smokeless rounds. What a letdown that was! And to think I used to love to shoot smokeless. There just isn't any comparison. The BPCs were a lot easier to load than I expected and they killed the gong at 100 yards every time. Swabbing the bore out was easy so I must have done it right. I can't wait to get out and get another BlackPowder fix. Maybe I'll go load up some 38-55's now.

Sakdog
12-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Ha! Yeah I'm going to have to load up some .44s now for the ol Redhawk. maybe...

I am all but sold (haven't yet tried it) on the concept of loading 12 ga. with FFg. I like to hunt predators, and I can just picture the poor coyote that comes into the invitation of a rabbit's whine to have his last vision be that of a bellowing horizontal mushroom cloud paired with the tinge of #4 buck illuminating the light at the end his tunnel.

I am strangely repulsed yet strangely attracted.. Good stuff for sure.

Oh... And it does a number on silver apparently....the ring on my right hand is all rainbowed and blackened like I stuck it in a furnace

PuppetZ
12-07-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm little by little coaxing myself to load some 45-70s up with some 2f Swiss. Never shot black out of a cartridge before. Trying to gather opinions on boolit lube (I have SPG) and the favorite solvent for between strings wiping of the bore. Gun would be an early 1900s model '86 Winchester SRC with the "Nickel Steel" barrel.

smokeywolf

From my limited experience, about anything will do as lube. I use a concoction made out of beeswax and vaseline 50-50 and it does what it has to. The single most important piece of advice I was told is : Keep that residue WET! Use some sort of blow tube. I use the poor man's blow tube and take a few breath down the barrel of my H&R BC after each shot. I shot a string of 24 without swabing and doing that little routine. Shoot, 3 blow down the bore. At the end I ran a dry patch and the barrel did not have anything sticking to it. I have shot other guns in my short life but THAT black stuff is the BEST THING EVER I tell ya!

bigted
12-08-2012, 02:19 AM
that SPG is one of the best bp lubes going...another great one is "bullshops NASA lube"....

and if you think anything will do just try some petrolium based lube and try to worry the crud outta yer barrel. only thing ive done that caused me so much consternation is.......well nuttin comes to mind for now unless it would be....... to give an already rich feller a bunch more of my hard earned money .....to dink around in me mug with me teeth and cause a normal grown-up man to pee a little....yep nuttin else comes to mind!!!!!!! best to keep it all natural ingredients...dont ask me why the vasoline works as it is a petrolium product but it does and im bettin that it is the ONLY petrol based ingredient that does not cause tar/blacktop in a perfectly good barrel.

montana_charlie
12-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Trying to gather opinions on boolit lube (I have SPG) and the favorite solvent for between strings wiping of the bore.
You have what you need ... SPG and water.

Springfield
12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Paraffin doesn't crud up the barrel either.

Sakdog
12-10-2012, 09:24 PM
How about bacon grease? Might smell good too!