PDA

View Full Version : Aiming a PID probe

prs
12-07-2012, 02:02 PM
I have a PID set-up controlling a standard electrical outlet plug so I can run any of my pots on the same unit. I have a K type thermocouple probe about 5 or 6 inches long that I can place in the pot using a home made clamp to position where I want it. Where do I want it? Center of mass, close to the nozzle of the bottom pour spout, other???

I also have one of the thermocouples with no real end to it, the braided wire just terminates as cut off. How does that work? Do I simple strip it a bit and silver solder to the bottom of the pot or can I put a crimp on round eyelet on it to clamp between the spout's retaining nut and the pot bottom. That latter seem ideal as the temp would be that of the spout, which is where it counts. Right, wrong... ??

prs

wymanwinn
12-07-2012, 06:16 PM
i keep the end of the probe near the pour nozzle...

I have a PID set-up controlling a standard electrical outlet plug so I can run any of my pots on the same unit. I have a K type thermocouple probe about 5 or 6 inches long that I can place in the pot using a home made clamp to position where I want it. Where do I want it? Center of mass, close to the nozzle of the bottom pour spout, other???

I also have one of the thermocouples with no real end to it, the braided wire just terminates as cut off. How does that work? Do I simple strip it a bit and silver solder to the bottom of the pot or can I put a crimp on round eyelet on it to clamp between the spout's retaining nut and the pot bottom. That latter seem ideal as the temp would be that of the spout, which is where it counts. Right, wrong... ??

prs

cbrick
12-07-2012, 07:43 PM
I also have one of the thermocouples with no real end to it, the braided wire just terminates as cut off. How does that work? Do I simple strip it a bit and silver solder to the bottom of the pot or can I put a crimp on round eyelet on it to clamp between the spout's retaining nut and the pot bottom. That latter seem ideal as the temp would be that of the spout, which is where it counts. Right, wrong... ?? prs

The way it works on my Master Pot is the same way, a wire. I put a crimp on round eyelet on the wire, welded a nut on the outside of the pot, on the bottom in the center. Use a short machine screw to hold the wire/eyelet to the nut. That is fairly close to the spout. Works great and no probe inside the pot in the way and no clamps to come loose.

Rick

prs
12-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Rick, I think I will try that on one of my pots. I will put an eyelet around the spout between the pot bottom and retainer nut. Will report RE how that compares to probe inside close to spout.

prs