PDA

View Full Version : 1917 Enfield Rescue

KCSO
12-07-2012, 11:40 AM

Another rescue job, a 1917 came in as a parts gun because the owner had tried to drill and tap it himself for a scope annd had botched the job badly. The gun was a sporter conversion originaly made in the 1950's and the recoil pad was so hard it was flaking off the gun. I ended up welding up the bootched screw holes, one with a wood screw hammered throught ehr Redfield mount in into an ocersized hole, and recontouring and polishing the action. A new recoil pad and a refinish on the stock and a crown on the barrel, (a mint two groove) and the gun is just waiting for it's new Redfield 2-7 scope to arrive. If you just consider the $50 I paid for the gun as parts iit's quiite a deal, but if you start adding up what it cost to repair it might not chalk up that way.

Bullshop
12-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Good job! One thing though that stock looks to be cut for iron sights with lots of drop. That type of stock from those early conversions has turned off a lot of shooters from the 30/06 making them think it kicked so hard. Subtract the cheek weld as would be with iron sight with scope use and it may get even worse. Maybe a stock with straighter lines is in order for use with a scope.

KCSO
12-08-2012, 12:23 PM
See that BIG thick recoil pad? Actually this is a pretty heavy rifle and I will be shooting cast loads so kick isn't an issue. But I had a full stock Mauser carbine in 30-06 one time and that thin german style stock was a real cheek biter! Even a full cast load was a pain.