PDA

View Full Version : To Gas Check Or Not To Gas Check

newcastter
12-06-2012, 07:17 PM
I am casting 158 gr gas check based bullets for my .357 but I also plan on using the same bullet for reloading for my Dad's .38 special and for plinking rounds for me.
What I am not sure of is do I really need to gas check when loading in the .38 special.
At what point do I know that I should gas check?
I look forward to hearing from your experience, and thank you in advance for your help.

newcastter
12-06-2012, 11:17 PM
If this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it Mods

Ben
12-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Have you looked at this ?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?65035-Can-I-shoot-a-gas-check-design-with-out-the-gas-check

newcastter
12-07-2012, 02:17 AM
Ummm no but thank you for pointing me in the right direction and that was right in front of my face!!
Thanx

Have you looked at this ?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?65035-Can-I-shoot-a-gas-check-design-with-out-the-gas-check

fouronesix
12-07-2012, 07:54 PM
I assume your are speaking of revolvers in 357 and 38 Spl? One thing about gas-checked bullets in revolvers that you may not be aware of is that it's fairly easy for the bullet to shuck the gas check in the bore when using light loads- not a good thing. For light loads it can be better to just leave the gas check off. And, as most have posted on this subject in the past, no problem shooting a checkless bullet if your bullet fits the throat and bore correctly and you keep the pressures and velocities low.

Pooch
12-15-2012, 09:48 AM
For myself, if it's subsonic velocities in my revolvers . . . no I don't use them. No need.

Ben
12-16-2012, 10:22 AM
I still hold on to the concept of :

" If you want to shoot without a g/c start off by buying a plain based bullet mold "

" If you want higher velocities - - - , buy a g/c mold and gas checks."

btroj
12-16-2012, 12:56 PM
I agree with Ben. If you want a plain base bullet then buy the plain base mould. If you want more speed and pressure then get a gas check mould and use gas checks.

Can a bullet be used woot a check? Yes. I just prefer to get a plain base from the get go.

Different bullets are used for specific applications. Trying to make one work for everything often means it doesn't excel at anything.

Ben
12-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Trying to make one work for everything often means it doesn't excel at anything.

I could not have said it better.......

Ben

newcastter
12-17-2012, 06:35 PM
I was pretty clear that I intended on shooting gas checked bullets out of my .357. My question was refering to also being able to use the same bullet without, I am pretty clear now of what my limitations are.

fcvan
12-18-2012, 07:31 PM
I only have one gas check mold for .38/.357 and the rest are plain based. That is a Lee 358-158 SWCHP. I used plain based up to about 1200fps without problems. I now make plain based gas checks for 35 and 45 cal and that has allowed me more options when loading at higher velocities with softer alloy. My favorite of late is the Lee 358-158 RF with a PB gas check. I don't shoot the HP mold very much but was able to swap some PB checks for some regular checks made by another member here. I don't think I will ever buy another factory gas check if I can help it.

williamwaco
12-20-2012, 10:05 PM
If you want a single bullet for every thing from target loads at 700 fps to hell bent for leather .357 loads at 1400 fps. Forget the gas checks and get a plain base 158 grain semi wad cutter.

You can get excellent results with gas checks in maximum loads in the .357. You can get every bit as good results with plain base bullets.

I use the Lee 358-158 SWC, the Lyman 358477, and the Ballisti-Cast 651 in everything from 2" Chief Special to 20" Winchester Model 92 at 1600 fps.

In full disclosure, I do own a gas check mold. I fire about 100 of those bullets a year.

Not recommended, but:

I have loaded gas check bullets without the gas check in .38 special at 800 to 900 fps.
You can do it. They work fine but you will pay a significant penalty in accuracy. In my experience the groups size will increase by about 50% over the groups you get with plain base bullets.

This means that I shoot about 2" groups with plain base bullets and 3" with unchecked gas check bullets at 25 yards.
For most purposes that is certainly accurate enough. ( But not for me. )