PDA

View Full Version : "Drill For Probe" ?

PbHurler
12-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Hey Guys,
I've seen numerous requests during group buys, to "drill for probe". What exactly is the purpose of the drilling? To insert a thermometer during heat cycling of the new mold? To check the pre-heat temp while on a hot plate? Where in the mold is this cavity drilled? and what diameter is the hole?

I use a Tell-Tru thermometer for my melts. would I be able to insert the thermometer into the "probe hole" to monitor the mold temp? Would I need to specify to the mold-maker diameter of the "drilling"?

Please educate me on the usage / benefits of having a mold "drilled for probe", for any future buys I may be interested in.

Thanks.

theperfessor
12-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I think most folks use a thermocouple probe for that, don't know how big the moldmaker drills that hole. I use a thermocouple that screws into a 1/4-20 hole about 3/8" deep. It is part of the PID I use to control my hotplate during preheat and to monitor mold temperature during casting.

cbrick
12-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Drilling for the probe is an option (free) offered by NOE. He also sells digital thermometers and the probe is for that. It can be left in during casting but I normally only use it during pre-heating in the mold oven.

Even if you don't have the thermometer if you order an NOE mold just have him drill the hole, sometime in the future you may want to get the thermometer.

Rick

PbHurler
12-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Thank You

dromia
12-07-2012, 08:26 AM
A melon for ectasy.

SwedeNelson
12-07-2012, 10:11 AM
You can find our thermometer here:
http://noebulletmolds.com/orders/catalog/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=55vl96sfiksb3obdvhp5o02le6

Swede Nelson