PDA

View Full Version : Buy ammo now!

Jim
12-06-2012, 04:56 PM
I just got off the phone with a friend in Columbia, SC. He went by Palmetto State Armory (one of our advertising sponsors, BTW) to buy some 5.56 and was talking with the manager. My friend said the manager told him he was telling all his customers to buy all the ammo they could afford as quickly as possible.

I don't know if the manager knows something we don't or if that was a gimmick. I find it noteworthy, though, as I had never heard that from a merchant or had anybody tell me they had.

Boz330
12-06-2012, 05:21 PM
I got a notice the other day from Natchez or Wiedners that any new arriving Russian ammo was going to be $10 a K higher. Seems the entrepreneurs in the old Soviet Union have us and Obama figured out. I only buy 22 and some shotgun ammo (because it is cheaper than I can reload it) so I'm not too concerned. I have a few primers and some powder on hand so I can invest my spare bucks somewhere else, till they aren't worth anything, anyway.

Bob

tomme boy
12-06-2012, 05:28 PM
I hate these type of post. All it does is make everyone go out and buy up everything they can. There are so many new shooter out there. Look how hard it was at the first election to get ammo. Now with all the new people that are getting into this, it is going to be 10x's worse than before. So go ahead and keep spreading the fear. Just by my posting on this it is spreading it even farther.:x We are our worst enemy when it comes to this.

MT Chambers
12-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Any good salesman is gonna tell you to buy as much as you can!

white eagle
12-06-2012, 05:47 PM
here we go again
mass hysteria the only ones that that is good for is the sellers of the product

starmac
12-06-2012, 06:19 PM
The good thing is a lot of folks are still stocked up after the last go round. I have no doubt prices will go up, but I went to sportsmans the other day mainly to check, and their shelves are still full, The last time it was several months before I could even by caps for a muzzle loader, much less 22 ammo.

Love Life
12-06-2012, 06:34 PM
I see it as souond advice, not hysteria. If people have not stocked up yet, then now is the time that they should be doing so.

I noticed the same thing Starmac did. After 2008 election everything flew off the shelves and was on perpetual back order for a good solid year. This year Sportsmans, Scheeles, Cabelas, and the internet vendors moved along with hardly a blink of the eye.

scottiemom
12-06-2012, 07:48 PM
it's different this time - it's his last term. He can do all those things this term he couldn't do last for fear of alienating everyone. Now, in my opinion, he doesn't care who he alienates - he's got nothing to lose. I agree with love life - its not hysteria, it's good advice and common sense. Even if nothing happens, prices are always going up anyway so buy what you can afford to now so you don't have to buy later.

GRUMPA
12-06-2012, 07:56 PM
The way I am if it does go up, so what :shock: I don't know about the rest of you folks but 1 of the biggest reasons I joined this site was because we all pretty much roll our own. Just stock up on primers and powders and don't give a thought to what others pay for factory fodder.

gray wolf
12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
I hate this kind of thing, I am always behind the 8 Ball, It just took me over 4 months for us to fix the windshield on the ruck, and that's cause a member helped out.
If it's true so be it, it is what it is. But I hope it's not another stampede of the sheeple.
As I think about it I can see a good deal of truth in it though.
Do the best you can men and follow your instincts, I know you will anyway, sides they don't go bad.

Boerrancher
12-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Being one who "rolls his own" I don't get too freaked out about ammo shortages. I have a nice stock of 22LR to keep the kids squirrel hunting for a long time. I would like to buy a few cans of powder soon. I can always use AA3100, and IMR4064, and AA2520. Yeah, I shoot a lot of 308, 243, and 303 Brit.

Best wishes,

Joe

gbrown
12-07-2012, 09:23 AM
The way I am if it does go up, so what :shock: I don't know about the rest of folks but 1 of the biggest reasons I joined this site was because we all pretty much roll your own. Just stick up on primers and powders and don't give a thought to what others pay for factory fodder.

10X +1 on that one.

Jim
12-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Being one who "rolls his own" I don't get too freaked out about ammo shortages......Joe

Same here. The only ammo I'm working on stocking up on is 22LR and shotgun ammo.

x101airborne
12-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Well, I dont think I will be buying much. If I buy another box of 22lr, my wife is gonna start fussing. As it is, our bed is already solid from all the hording stores under it. But I could use another 50K primers. I think I am getting under 25K, so it is time!

HATCH
12-07-2012, 10:04 AM
They can't ban guns cause there are too many of them. What they can do is make ammo more expensive. A gun with no ammo is just a expensive stick.
I would look for a ammo tax soon or a ban on the importation of ammo.
Either one would have the same effect.

I could see our numbers (as reloaders) increase in the coming months because of ammo prices.

sent from my mobile.

reloader28
12-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Well this would'nt be a surprise Since the UN Disarmament staff headquarters is now moved to New York city from Geneva, yep. We have a LOT to worry about.

For all you sorry suckers that keep thinking "It will never happen here." "They'll never get that pushed through"."You need to quit posting these types of posts. All it does is scare people." "Your starting a panic. Thanks to you, we cant buy ammo".

Those kinda people really tick me off. Open your fricking eyes. They are partially to blame for why we are slowly losing ours rights. The liberals and dumacraps love those guys.

frkelly74
12-07-2012, 10:57 AM
I will get some more large pistol primers for sure. Everything else is stocked up already. I found 4 brand new boxes of 22 lR in the trash at the range yesterday that someone apparently blamed for their poor shooting , so people are not too panicked yet.

Moonman
12-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Always stocked up in 22LR.

Always STAY AHEAD with your Roll Your Own Components.

The Stress and Worrying doesn't appear then, let others do the worrying.

Trey45
12-07-2012, 11:09 AM
I finally filled the 20mm chaingun ammo can with 22LR ammo. I'm set there. The only store bought ammo I keep on hand is 22LR, and the fire and forget commie steel cased stuff I use in my high cap bottom feeders. I call it fire and forget because I don't have to chase down brass cases to reload, just fire it and forget about it.

knifemaker
12-07-2012, 11:33 AM
I think that some ammo sellers like to promote panic in order to sell more of their ammo. They use a panic as a tactic to jack up prices knowing they will still be able to sell at the inflated price due to the panic.

Freightman
12-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Haven't bought ammo in 15 years and I have enough powder and primers to last till I am called home LOL.

farmallcrew
12-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Roll your own, roller here. I have stuff stocked up for a while. But always looking. Got to get more hours at work to keep buying supplies.

square butte
12-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Folks might want to take a look at the thread tittled " Changes to ORM-D HazMat Classification". I don't know how to embed a link here - But looks like ammo will have to be shipped with a HazMat fee - Thus signifigantly increasing the cost of over the counter and internet sales. Perhaps someone here knows how to place a link here.

GRUMPA
12-09-2012, 12:33 PM
This might help:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?174264-Changes-to-ORM-D-HazMat-Classification

The way I see it the ones that makes the rules have had time to think everything thru to the point there's no loose ends. Things are going to change but only the ones that makes the rules know what they are. We the people wont know what they are till they're enacted and by then lets face it, it's going to be a bit on the late side.

square butte
12-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Thank you Sir.

Jim
12-09-2012, 01:03 PM
This is the beginning of their efforts to make firearm ownership and use more expensive and more difficult.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Oh my, I am just about OUT of everything...powder, primers, ect...
I guess I'll just have to do whatever Obama wants me to do :razz:
I guess I'll start by tuning in NPR on my radio
They always have good advice to give :razz:

jcwit
12-09-2012, 01:07 PM
For your reading pleasure. Actually doesn't look like any increase at all just a label change.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/586820_Ammo_shipments_to_be_classified_as_haz_mat_ .html

montana_charlie
12-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Except for rimfire stuff, the only factory ammo I use is 5.56 x 45 mm.
Using the Lake City M855 as a ruler, the price has gone from ~$300 per thousand to ~$500 per thousand in the last ten months.

CM

captain-03
12-09-2012, 07:52 PM
My latest 22LR purchase - not because of any panic; because CMP had it for a good price - $150 per case of 5000.

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss241/captain-03/IMG_107822.jpg

WILCO
12-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I posted here earlier, but deleted it afterwards that I was out with friends and they told me that after January first there was to be no more sales of ammunition. I spent a great deal of time looking into this and found the usual reports of ammo bans, online sales ban and so forth. I did find a reference to a U.S. Ammunition Export moratorium for 1/1/13, but nothing else. So who knows..........

johnny-appleweed
12-09-2012, 09:08 PM
I worked my butt off today but I scored big time.
25 years ago I moved out of a home (divorce) and left behind a 55 gal. Drum of WW lead. 15 years ago the place burned down and everything was pushed over a bank into a hole. The land was taken for taxes this year and the town asked if I wanted the scrap Iron out back. The barrel was long gone but there was 8 5 gal buckets full of lead almost a foot into the ground. I think it will clean up to over 800 pounds of castable lead.
LETS GET CASTING

KYCaster
12-09-2012, 09:29 PM
I kinda agree with JohnB. Maybe its time to just throw in the towel.

When they come around to take everything, I can show them the empty shelves where I USTA have powder and primers. I can show them the empty safe where I USTA have guns. I can show them the empty garage where I USTA have lead.

What d' ya think? :popcorn:

It just might work. ;)

Jerry

Love Life
12-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Shoot. When I was looking to buy several cases of 5.56 ammo in September I had to look far and wide to find my favorite wolf ammo at $300 apiece. I remember when I was in high school a case only cost $150 or so. Back then (not that long ago) people turned their noses up at Wolf ammo, but not this guy. Now people flock to it and leave all the high dollar stuff on the shelves. Neat.

Every payday grocery trip I buy some components. Spreads the cost through the year, and it all adds up quickly. Of course that was before I used the post election fear to sell off all my guns and reloading components at a profit.

PbHurler
12-10-2012, 08:26 AM
They can't ban guns cause there are too many of them. What they can do is make ammo more expensive. A gun with no ammo is just a expensive stick.
I would look for a ammo tax soon or a ban on the importation of ammo.
Either one would have the same effect.

I could see our numbers (as reloaders) increase in the coming months because of ammo prices.

I think the same thing on all accounts. Then the component side will be the next thing to be pillaged.

"See, I'm not out to take away your guns; It's ONLY gonna cost you $10.00 per round of loaded ammunition, you can still shoot 'em"

Mud Eagle
12-10-2012, 11:28 AM
it's different this time - it's his last term. He can do all those things this term he couldn't do last for fear of alienating everyone.

...except for jeopardizing every other Democrat in both the House and Senate, and the next Democrat who will want to run for President after him.

Come on, folks: this idea that "he has nothing to lose because he can't be re-elected" is asinine. He isn't the king, can't do anything unilaterally, and anything he does with respect to new laws has to be approved by tons of other elected officials in the House and Senate (who DO have to run for re-election, and in only two years!).

Even if you buy that Mr. Obama, personally, will make career-suicidal choices by introducing new firearms or ammunition regulation, don't expect that the rest of the lawmakers he needs help from will do the same. Pretty sure they learned that lesson in 1994.

square butte
12-10-2012, 01:23 PM
All one needs do to understand what the current office holder is capable of, and where he is headed is to read in totality all of his executive orders and directives - 900+ now I think. What some think would be career suicidal choices, would seem more plausable if one did not take the mans ambitions and past actions into consideration. He has already shown us that he does not need the rest of lawmakers to accomplish his goals - based on the above mentioned executive orders and directives.

farmallcrew
12-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Always buying or tradeing off stuff for componets.