PDA

View Full Version : 35 Rem and Ranch Dog make meat with 2 days left

RU shooter
12-06-2012, 02:15 PM
A beautiful sunny morning with 2 days left in the regular season here in Pa. this nice 8 point happen to walk past me at about 8:30 distance was approx. 50 yds as he was starting down the hill I was watching. (why do they always run DOWN hill when shot!) Was using my favorite little carbine a Rem 600 in 35 rem. Load was 38.5 gr of 4895 , 190 gr RD bullet 50/50 WW and soft water dropped. entry was just behind the shoulder right were I aimed , exit just clipped the edge of the blade. Surprisingly judging by the size of the exit hole the bullet didn't seem to expand very much hole was was hardly any bigger than the entry , heart was basically cut in two though. He ran approx. 100 yds down hill leaving a good blood trail. Even without extreme expansion the wide flat nose of the RD design did its job very well ,Maybe I'll try the same alloy but air cooled next time.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-06-2012, 02:29 PM
He looks dead to me! Nice deer!

Lefty SRH
12-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Nice!

Hamish
12-06-2012, 02:38 PM
RU, nice job. Any chance of a better pic of your 600? Always thought they got a bad rap myself.

Jal5
12-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Nice PA deer!

RU shooter
12-06-2012, 09:53 PM
RU, nice job. Any chance of a better pic of your 600? Always thought they got a bad rap myself.Ill try to get a bigger pic of it tomorrow . I hear you on the bad rap. I dont know why though ? I actually like the crooked bolt handle ;)

35remington
12-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Judge its expansion by the internal damage done to the deer. Exit holes, even from expanded bullets, are often not very impressive. Given that the exit velocity is much lower than the entrance velocity, and that the vast majority of the energy (remember the velocity squared bit) has been dumped inside, even with a nonexpanding bullet, small exit holes are the norm, not the exception. Even a widely expanded bullet, if going fairly slowly, only pushes a small hole through a hide. Velocity and an impact wave make large holes.

The largest exits are produced when only a small area is traversed, and the energy of the bullet is still fairly high.

RugerFan
12-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Nice buck! Congrats.

richhodg66
12-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Judge its expansion by the internal damage done to the deer. Exit holes, even from expanded bullets, are often not very impressive. Given that the exit velocity is much lower than the entrance velocity, and that the vast majority of the energy (remember the velocity squared bit) has been dumped inside, even with a nonexpanding bullet, small exit holes are the norm, not the exception. Even a widely expanded bullet, if going fairly slowly, only pushes a small hole through a hide. Velocity and an impact wave make large holes.

The largest exits are produced when only a small area is traversed, and the energy of the bullet is still fairly high.

That's interesting. I shot my buck this year with a similar bullet (Ranchdog 165 grain .30) also cast soft and had very small entry and exit holes and no blood trail. The deer didn't go far, maybe 40 yards, and the internal damage looked about like one shot with full power loads, so I guess it did more than the outside showed.

Very nice buck! I had a 600 in 6mm and stupidly traded it off. Wish I had it back, but I'd like a .35 Remington one more than my 6mm one. Great cartridge.

RU shooter
12-07-2012, 02:54 PM

The largest exits are produced when only a small area is traversed, and the energy of the bullet is still fairly high.Thanks 35 I indeed found this to be the case upon further looking after I get it skinned and hanging the the hole on the Ribcage on the exit side was noticeably bigger roughly 1/2" or more so that alloy blend did indeed expand well . But dead is dead .either way

**oneshot**
12-07-2012, 03:07 PM
nice deer!!

fishnbob
12-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I saw a Rem. 600 in 308 on a gun trader site and tried to buy it but the guy never contacted me. I was going to buy it sight unseen. I have one in 6 MM Rem and love it. Shoots great, handles sweet. I would like to see a picture of your 600 also.

Cmasailor
12-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Another one falls to the mighty 600. Congrats!

Mine is in 243, and I will be buried with it.
been looking for that same setup actually, cause my 243 only eats J-words

TXGunNut
12-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Ssssssssh! Keep talking up the 600 and everybody will want one! Look what happened to the 788!

geargnasher
12-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Pretty much perfect boolit performance with an extremely well-placed shot in my book. Refer to Goodsteel's thread on spontaneous deer disassembly if you think you want to shoot that same load with an air-cooled version of your alloy. The deer was dead when shot, but it took his nerves 100 yards to figure it out, which is quite typical of a Whitetail. You can build a load if you so choose that will blow them to smithereens and what's left falls over right there, but who wants to destroy that much meat? I'm not a huge fan of dressing shoulders, but there's good stew/ground/chili meat there if you don't wreck it with a fast, heavy, soft boolit. Congratulations on a fine job!

Gear

jixxerbill
12-08-2012, 12:16 AM
nice deer!! i need to look into the boolit u used for my t/c 35 remmy...bill

Cmasailor
12-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Ssssssssh! Keep talking up the 600 and everybody will want one! Look what happened to the 788!
They're already way out of my pricerange... Crazy how it happens. The so-called cheap rifle ends up highly sought after and limited run mfg. the pnly downfall was the pressed checkering and plastic trigger guard... I had a billet alum one made.
The 788 was dead nuts also.

Sorry for the hijack, well done bringing the meat home. Cheers

RU shooter
12-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Another one falls to the mighty 600. Congrats!

Mine is in 243, and I will be buried with it.
been looking for that same setup actually, cause my 243 only eats J-words Some day I'm planning on finding another 600 or 660 in the cheaper "Mohawk" brand either in 243 or 308 and have it rebored making it a .358 .And I feel the same as you ,Been hunting with this gun since age 12 I'm 43 now.

Thumbcocker
12-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Looks like you are getting the hang of that rifle. Nice deer.

pls1911
12-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Shoot 'em through the shoulder/spine and you won't worry about the blood trail...they'll drop, DRT.
30-30 on deer and pigs, anyway.
The .35 ought to kill 'em deader quicker, but high shoulder/spine shot IMHO is the way to go. You stll won't loose a thumbs worth of meat, and you'll never track another critter.
I have .35s in a lever, TC, and Remington pistol...maybe I should shoot 'em, but have hard time breaking from the 30-30.

fatnhappy
12-08-2012, 08:30 PM
I would give you a fairly large wad of cash for that rifle, and I'm tighter than two coats of paint.

Nice buck. I need to get a .35 again............

RU shooter
12-09-2012, 10:09 AM
I would give you a fairly large wad of cash for that rifle, and I'm tighter than two coats of paint.

Nice buck. I need to get a .35 again............ LOL You'll have to take that up with my two boys a few days after my memorial services. But thanks anyways.

derrickman
12-10-2012, 09:03 PM
I'd like to see a pic of the bullet & some mold info.
My 35 is a Remington mdl 81 semi auto & I haven't yet fed it any cast boolits.

RU shooter
12-13-2012, 08:05 AM
The bullets are from the now sadly discontinued 359-190 ranchdog mould I'll see if I can locate a pic of one for you

Hurricane
12-15-2012, 11:12 AM

Attached is a picture of (from left to right) RCBS 35-200 , Ranch Dog 359-190-RF, and NOE 359-190-RF. The RCBS is available from most mold sellers. For the Ranch Dog you will have to look for used molds, probably on ebay or wait and see if Lee puts it into production. The NOE might be found as a used mold or they might make more runs of that mold. Any one of the three would set you up very well.